Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Texas A&M got $740 million in donations over the last 12 months. That's around 300 million more than had ever been donated in any other 12 month period.

Yep, Manziel doesn't deserve a dime....

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ns-fiscal-year
    Its a two way street. Without A&M what stadium is Manziel playing in front of. What trophy does he win? What network is he playing on?

2. Likes:

CoachBombay (09-24-2013), Revering4Blue (09-23-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I can't believe that Tenn would slip Foster money because he was not a significant player for them. He was just another RB at the time
    Aside from being the second all time leading rusher in Tennessee history, he was a nobody.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Its a two way street. Without A&M what stadium is Manziel playing in front of. What trophy does he win? What network is he playing on?
    Would Manziel be the media superstar he without A&M? No. Most likely not. But that doesn't excuse A&M's/the NCAA's behavior on this issue.

Who has benefited more from their partnership, A&M or Manziel? It is A&M exponentially. Johnny has gotten noteriety, better access to courtside seats (that his family could already afford), and a place in the American zeitgeist. But has Manziel's potential professional football career benefited greatly from attending A&M specifically?

On the opposite side, without Manziel is A&M getting $300 million dollars more than they got the year before? They got more in donations than Texas, which I would NEVER have thought possible.
    Last edited by improbus; 09-23-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Aside from being the second all time leading rusher in Tennessee history, he was a nobody.
    A quirk of longevity. The best UT rushers were there for only three years. In Foster's senior year he gained a little over 500 yards in 11 games. I watched most of his games at UT. You can't judge a player just by his numbers. There were reasons why he wasn't drafted.

From Wiki:

Foster finished his collegiate career as Tennessee's second all-time leading rusher with 2,964 yards, just 114 behind Travis Henry.[5] His legacy, however, was mixed. He fumbled just five times on a school-record 650 carries, but all of his drops came at critical moments, including fumbles in both 2006 Penn State games, one against Florida in 2007, and against UCLA and Auburn in 2008.[5] His former coach Fulmer has defended Foster, saying "There were a couple of fumbles that were untimely that people want to remember; they forget about his full career, about how special he was. He had a couple after a couple of big runs. They were costly, but we probably wouldn't have been there without him

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I can't believe that Tenn would slip Foster money because he was not a significant player for them. He was just another RB at the time
    I can think of a couple of reasons.
    1) Guilt
    2) Humanity

I can think of a couple of reasons.
    1) Guilt
    2) Humanity
    I have a hard time buying Foster's story because he talks about being hungry and having the coach bring them tacos. Yet when I was in college, football players at my schools were givenmassive food credit allowances on their food cards. And of course, in those days you could only use them at the dining halls and the campus grocery store. Now you can use your food card at all kinds of off campus stores and restaurants. And that doesn't include the pigout fests they get at team dinners and at the training table. If there's one thing colleges do for athletes is make sure they're well fed. The only time I've heard of a player coming up short on his food card was because he was selling credits to fund an under-the-table business he was running on the side. If Foster was coming up short on rent and food, chances are he was using the money the school gave him for room and board for something other than room and board.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

9. Likes:

bucksfan2 (09-24-2013), CoachBombay (09-24-2013)

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Dining halls aren't open 24/7.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Would Manziel be the media superstar he without A&M? No. Most likely not. But that doesn't excuse A&M's/the NCAA's behavior on this issue.

Who has benefited more from their partnership, A&M or Manziel? It is A&M exponentially. Johnny has gotten noteriety, better access to courtside seats (that his family could already afford), and a place in the American zeitgeist. But has Manziel's potential professional football career benefited greatly from attending A&M specifically?

On the opposite side, without Manziel is A&M getting $300 million dollars more than they got the year before? They got more in donations than Texas, which I would NEVER have thought possible.
    A&M has been an University since 1876, I am not doubting that the success of the football team helps in a fundraising but I don't think it is anywhere near the scale you think it is. Right now OSU is embarking on its largest fundraising in their history, a $2.5B campaign. If they reach those goals is that because of Braxton Miller or Kenny Guiton?

How much publicity do you think Manziel gets if he is playing in the Arena League or the Canadian Football League? Heck Manziel and his rag tag bunch could go out, stage a football game on a field, and then youtube it and post it for free! Everyone would watch wouldn't they?

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

I'd wager that most major college football teams have as many non-alumni fans as alumni. If college football didn't exist there'd be some sort of feeder system into the NFL. It would be popular and profitable. But nobody wants that - they just want the players to share in the enormous wealth they are creating.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

13. Likes:

dougdirt (09-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I'd wager that most major college football teams have as many non-alumni fans as alumni. If college football didn't exist there'd be some sort of feeder system into the NFL. It would be popular and profitable. But nobody wants that - they just want the players to share in the enormous wealth they are creating.
    I disagree with this. College football is so big and popular because it is college football. There is a university attached to the product on the field. College football is history, tradition, the game day experience. Its has something that the pros can't replicate.

If someone wanted to start a semi-pro feeder system up in Columbus it would fail misreably. They could call it the Columbus Tattoo's and they would play the Tuscaloosa Bryant's and few would care. There are crazy football fans in those two areas but if the scarlet and grey or crimson aren't being worn very few people would care. The Tattoo's could have Braxton Miller at QB and the Bryant's McCarron but few would care. Leagues have started and failed miserably trying to replicate something akin to the NFL. A feeder league would have enormous start up costs and wouldn't be able to compensate the players as much as universities can.

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-24-2013), Sea Ray (09-24-2013)

If that's true then these guys need to be going after the nfl to get rid if their age limit and start such a system, not the NCAA.
    Go Gators!

17. Likes:

improbus (09-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I disagree with this. College football is so big and popular because it is college football. There is a university attached to the product on the field. College football is history, tradition, the game day experience. Its has something that the pros can't replicate.
    Wait, so you think all those SEC fans all attended those schools? I live in Columbus and there are a TON of fans who didn't go to the school. It plays the role of a professional team here, as does Kentucky Basketball, etc...

My question is this. If everything was the same about college sports, except that the players were cut in on the money that the school received in addition to their scholarship, would anyone stop watching? Is amateurism the line of demarcation where we would quit watching college football if the players got payed? I would venture no as a guess. We didn't quit watching the Olympics, we wouldn't quit watching college football.

Wait, so you think all those SEC fans all attended those schools? I live in Columbus and there are a TON of fans who didn't go to the school. It plays the role of a professional team here, as does Kentucky Basketball, etc...

My question is this. If everything was the same about college sports, except that the players were cut in on the money that the school received in addition to their scholarship, would anyone stop watching? Is amateurism the line of demarcation where we would quit watching college football if the players got payed? I would venture no as a guess. We didn't quit watching the Olympics, we wouldn't quit watching college football.
    Less than 10% of Bama fans even finished high school....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

20. Likes:

dabvu2498 (09-24-2013), dougdirt (09-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Less than 10% of Bama fans even stepped foot in a high school....
    Fixed it for you.

22. Likes:

Slyder (09-24-2013)

This.

While I am sure it wouldn't be profitable in the same fashion that college football is, it wouldn't change the professional aspirations for current players. They would be just like baseball players. Drafted out of high school, go to the minor leagues where they hone in their skills and the cream rises and heads to the top level where they finally get paid big bucks.

Right now, the players are being paid chump change in non-monetary assets for the money they produce for the company they are essentially employed by (the colleges).

Turn Off Ads?