Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    The Olympics lost nothing when amateurism went away. I really think no one will miss it when it is gone.
    The brand will have to change completely and it will create a schism between tradition and the present. Tradition is a huge part of the lore of college athletics.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The brand will have to change completely and it will create a schism between tradition and the present. Tradition is a huge part of the lore of college athletics.
    Which part of the tradition will be harmed? If Ohio State paid their players, what would change from the fans perspective?
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Which part of the tradition will be harmed? If Ohio State paid their players, what would change from the fans perspective?
    If OSU paid it's players they are no longer student athletes. They are professional athletes. They aren't representatives of the university. They are paid employees. At a time when universities are about to experience an exodus of students from campus settings, becoming a semi-professional association will only further increase the schism and speed up the descent into irrelevance.

Auburn football has provenance as a college athletics program. It isn't the same thing if it becomes the Montgomery Biscuits of football. College athletics needs student athletes because it needs students to give it relevance.

Seriously, how likely is it that people will utter with pride that they are a 5th generation Biscuits fan? Being a Buckeye fan means more than rooting for a team.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

5. Likes:

bucksfan2 (06-18-2014)

If OSU paid it's players they are no longer student athletes. They are professional athletes. They aren't representatives of the university. They are paid employees. At a time when universities are about to experience an exodus of students from campus settings, becoming a semi-professional association will only further increase the schism and speed up the descent into irrelevance.

Auburn football has provenance as a college athletics program. It isn't the same thing if it becomes the Montgomery Biscuits of football. College athletics needs student athletes because it needs students to give it relevance.

Seriously, how likely is it that people will utter with pride that they are a 5th generation Biscuits fan? Being a Buckeye fan means more than rooting for a team.
    If a player gets paid, that would be just like being a student who gets a "research fellowship", except that it is a "football fellowship". Paid players won't be losing their affiliation with the school, it will just somewhat change the nature of the relationship between the schools and the players. Ohio State employs 23,000 people. Are they not associated with the school? Is the popularity of college sports that they are students? Don't we constantly make fun of the sham of high level college sports? If I put a poll on this website asking, "What percentage of classes did the starters for Florida State's football class attend?" What would that number be? I would say pretty low.

If a player gets paid, that would be just like being a student who gets a "research fellowship", except that it is a "football fellowship". Paid players won't be losing their affiliation with the school, it will just somewhat change the nature of the relationship between the schools and the players. Ohio State employs 23,000 people. Are they not associated with the school? Is the popularity of college sports that they are students? Don't we constantly make fun of the sham of high level college sports? If I put a poll on this website asking, "What percentage of classes did the starters for Florida State's football class attend?" What would that number be? I would say pretty low.
    Eliminating the illusion of amateurism will disillusion the the fan of college sports by cheapening the brand. It's New Coke.

I
    Doesn't Auburn have a long history of its football players being paid? Now it would just be legit.
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...pg=5273,896966

http://www.ncaagridirongab.com/2011/...etic-programs/

http://www.footballgeography.com/col...caa-probation/

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

IF the paid employees on the football field are wearing the school jersey, people are going to cheer for them.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I guess, if one want to treat things that happened decades earlier as somehow relevant. BTW, OSU has spent 6 years on probation during the BCS era while Auburn has spent exactly 0 (and can actually brag about the NCAA being forced to admit it could not find evidence of wrongdoing after an exhaustive investigation which is another thing that OSU can't brag about) and OSU has vacated 12 wins during this period to Auburn's 0.

Yours is a tired meme that that can't be credibly put forward as relevant to modern college football. Your argument is kind of like saying, "Don't send your kid to play for OSU because their coaches punch their players".
    Last edited by jojo; 06-17-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Eliminating the illusion of amateurism will disillusion the the fan of college sports by cheapening the brand. It's New Coke.
    If they start paying the players (or simply let the players seek their own endorsement deals), will you stop watching?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

There are a number of polite fictions that go into it, but as I've said before, I think the so-called "student athlete" -- even if the emphasis is currently on the wrong word -- is still necessary for the fictions to hold up. It's the link that lets everyone pretend the stuff going on in the stadium has something to do with the rest of the institution. It's the link that gets students to the games, that casts a warm glow upon the whole place after a big win, that results in several thousand extra admission applications after a championship season. I don't think you can cleave that link without long-term repercussions to the school.

I think the student athletes can be paid and it can survive. Lots of students hold jobs. Heck, lots of students work part-time for the school itself. I did. I think people can deal with this. But a pure minor-league model would be doomed in the long term, I think. College sports requires a lot of institutional support, and over time it would decay from the inside out.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

If they start paying the players (or simply let the players seek their own endorsement deals), will you stop watching?
    If college football evolves into semi-pro or minor league football, I will care less, a lot less.

14. Likes:

bucksfan2 (06-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Michigan and Notre Dame went 5 years of winning 2-3 games? I must've missed that.
    East Carolina since becoming a non-independent team (1997) has averaged 6.4 wins a season and has lost 3 or less games only twice in 17 years. Went to 10 bowls in that time frame.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 06-18-2014 at 08:17 AM.

If Ohio State became a minor league football team I would completely stop paying attention and never watch an Ohio State game again for the rest of my life.

~ Huge OSU football fan

This feels like the steroids issue in baseball. There is a bunch of outrage and ruffled feathers, but no one will stop watching. The fans have too much invested to stop.

This feels like the steroids issue in baseball. There is a bunch of outrage and ruffled feathers, but no one will stop watching. The fans have too much invested to stop.
    I don't think that's a good analogy. I've got mutliple opportunities to watch minor league baseball within driving distance of my local on any given day and there are generally several mlb and minor league baseball games on television to boot. I drive to Atlanta before I drive to Montgomery and when in the Atlanta area, watch Atlanta rather than Gwinett.

The only time I focus on minor league ball with the type of singlular purpose one might follow their favorite college football team is when I have to or when for whatever reason, I'm bored of mlb and want a break.

Turn Off Ads?