Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I don't think that's a good analogy. I've got mutliple opportunities to watch minor league baseball within driving distance of my local on any given day and there are generally several mlb and minor league baseball games on television to boot. I drive to Atlanta before I drive to Montgomery and when in the Atlanta area, watch Atlanta rather than Gwinett.

The only time I focus on minor league ball with the type of singlular purpose one might follow their favorite college football team is when I have to or when for whatever reason, I'm bored of mlb and want a break.
    I don't think minor league baseball is a good analogy either. If I had to guess, this will end with the players having some rights to the money made on their likeness. They won't have contracts, they won't be "employees". They will still be students. They will still represent the university. Nothing about the game day experience will change.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Minor league football isn't going to be minor league baseball or hockey. Assuming it would be the same is silly and kind of arguing in bad faith a little bit.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

NCAA President Mark Emmert is taking the stand today. He has a history of foot in mouth moments so it will be really interesting to see how this will play out.

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

Sports Illustrated's Stewart Mandel portrayed the NCAA's defense in the O’Bannon trial as "tone-deaf."

The NCAA's baffling defense strategy included calling a grand total of zero student-athletes or coaches to speak on its behalf. Mandel's column, linked below, is worth the read. He writes: "Over three weeks of testimony, the NCAA’s 14 handpicked witnesses to date have mostly pontificated the type of elitist, ivory-tower rhetoric that routinely infuriates its critics. It has offered little convincing evidence that compensating athletes through group licensing fees would irreparably harm college athletics. And that’s coming from someone like me, who passionately enjoys college football and basketball. I can’t imagine the organization has fared better with U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken, for whom the sports world is so spectacularly foreign that she had to ask one witness to spell out ESPY." Mandel added: "It would be an enormous upset at this point if she ruled in favor of the NCAA."

http://www.si.com/college-football/2...-obannon-trial

Maybe the NCAA’s argument is a lost cause. Maybe this day was always coming. But after five years of litigation and many millions spent in billable hours, one would think the organization would have put up its best possible fight.

Instead, it wasted three weeks mostly trumpeting the same tired clichés its leaders routinely espouse for free in press conferences and at conventions. For that it deserves to lose. Why should a judge believe that college athletics is some sacred vehicle for education when its leaders never learned how to effectively tell a story?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

6. Likes:

dougdirt (07-04-2014)

NCAA board of directors OKs 5 power conferences and Notre Dame to basically write their own rules.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...er-conferences
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

So we can expect DIV 3 osu any time now?
    Go Gators!

Breaking down key points to this:

The bigger conferences don't fell like they should share any money with the UABs and Bowling Greens of the college world. Nor be responsible for any lawsuits that involve them.

This may make unionization diffucult.

The days of the NCAA as a governing body for major college football are effectively over.

You will not see fewer schools like the University of West Florida leap to Division I.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

This new power allows the power 5 to decide amongst themselves to do the following:
    1) Pay the full cost of attendance (which is currently up to a $5000 gap).
    2) Pay for insurance for their players.
    3) Loosening the connection between players and agents.
    4) Paying families to attend postseason events (also known as the Maurice Clarrett rule).

To me, the most important step is that they are actually inviting 15 players to be on the committee in these power conference meetings. The NCAA has always had a tangential hold on college football, and this further severs that connection.
    Last edited by improbus; 08-08-2014 at 06:34 PM.

The judge has ruled against the NCAA in the O'Bannon trial.

Today is effectively the beginning of the end for the NCAA as we know it.

It's not a coincidence that the power 5 were granted autonomy by the NCAA yesterday.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

14. Likes:

cincrazy (08-08-2014)

Let the lawsuits and appeals begin! This could take a while.

The most interesting "on the field" outcome of all of this potential change is the idea that the Power 5 conferences might only play one another. This would essentially create a Super Division 1 and would make the college football regular season MUCH more intriguing. It also might be one of the reasons the Big Ten added Rutgers and Maryland, giving their big boys substitutes for the MAC-level schools they like to feast on in the early season.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    The most interesting "on the field" outcome of all of this potential change is the idea that the Power 5 conferences might only play one another. This would essentially create a Super Division 1 and would make the college football regular season MUCH more intriguing. It also might be one of the reasons the Big Ten added Rutgers and Maryland, giving their big boys substitutes for the MAC-level schools they like to feast on in the early season.
    The entire big 10 is the feast others like to feed on. Whatcha talking about! They don't need any more bottom feeders to prop up people, they have 6-8 most years!
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    The entire big 10 is the feast others like to feed on. Whatcha talking about! They don't need any more bottom feeders to prop up people, they have 6-8 most years!
    Those things go in cycles.
    The Big Ten was really deep in the '90's (Northwestern had a run, Wisconsin was great, Minnesota had RB's, and Purdue had Brees). They will bounce back.

Turn Off Ads?