Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031 LastLast

Thread: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I agree that the SEC has inherent advantages and that their fans are the most singularly focused on football, but these things are cyclical. We take current runs and domination to be the way things will be forever. When Pete Carroll was at USC, it looked like USC was going to dominate college football for a long time. The same could be said for the early 2000's Hurricanes and the 90's Seminoles. The talent pipelines looked endless at those programs until they weren't.

The SEC has largely been able to withstand it so far because it hasn't been a single program but a handful of them. So, when Florida dropped off, Alabama was there to take its place. LSU filled a few gaps, as did Auburn. But I think it is foolish to think that this advantage will last forever. USC, Texas, Michigan, Penn State, Miami, Notre Dame, and Nebraska won't always be as mediocre as they have been lately. When a few of them rise, which they inevitably will (especially Texas which has an even bigger native advantage that any particular SEC school), the SEC dominance will subside.

Last years Florida State team might be the first step in that process.
    It's cyclical in that individual teams can go on runs but the spirit and fandom doesn't change. Regardless of how many titles USC wins, they'll never be fanatical about Trojan football like the state of Alabama is about Crimson Tide and War Eagles.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    they'll never be fanatical about Trojan football like the state of Alabama is about Crimson Tide and War Eagles.
    Because people in Southern California have lives.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Because people in Southern California have lives.
    There's a lot truth to that. In the south there's not much else. It's college football and NASCAR. I don't disagree with your reason

There's a lot truth to that. In the south there's not much else. It's college football and NASCAR. I don't disagree with your reason
    Very few big time college teams are located in major metro areas. Very fewer that are located in major metro areas that also have a NFL team.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Very few big time college teams are located in major metro areas. Very fewer that are located in major metro areas that also have a NFL team.
    I have experience with Tennessee football and I can tell you that they don't hold the Titans to the same esteem they do the Vols. In fact they don't like their name being the Tennessee Titans because there's only one Tennessee and it's UT. Point being that the presence of an NFL team doesn't change much in the SE. I think a bigger factor is the lack of big cities

I have experience with Tennessee football and I can tell you that they don't hold the Titans to the same esteem they do the Vols. In fact they don't like their name being the Tennessee Titans because there's only one Tennessee and it's UT. Point being that the presence of an NFL team doesn't change much in the SE. I think a bigger factor is the lack of big cities
    The Titans are to the Vols what either the Browns/Bengals are to OSU. There are Bengals/Browns fans in Columbus but the passion is with OSU.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The Titans are to the Vols what either the Browns/Bengals are to OSU. There are Bengals/Browns fans in Columbus but the passion is with OSU.
    OSU's passion for football compares to the SEC, but the thing is in the SEC even mediocre programs like UT draw 100K every week and have huge passion. In fact I'm amazed at the passion here on RZ for UK football. I always figured they were a BB school and their fanbase didn't really care about football (kinda like IU) but I see that their fans really do care about football

OSU's passion for football compares to the SEC, but the thing is in the SEC even mediocre programs like UT draw 100K every week and have huge passion. In fact I'm amazed at the passion here on RZ for UK football. I always figured they were a BB school and their fanbase didn't really care about football (kinda like IU) but I see that their fans really do care about football
    Meh, mediocre programs like Michigan and Nebraska do the same. I think that goes back to the "nothing to do there" response. If UT was located in NYC, LA, San Diego, Miami, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, etc they would not be selling out games right now.

Saturdays in Knoxville = football, because there is nothing else to do.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 08-18-2014 at 01:12 PM.

They're so passionate about football in Lexington that their stadium renovations are reducing capacity by 6000 seats in order to make the game day experience more "intimate".
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Meh, mediocre programs like Michigan and Nebraska do the same. I think that goes back to the "nothing to do there" response. If UT was located in NYC, LA, San Diego, Miami, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, etc they would not be selling out games right now.

Saturdays in Knoxville = football, because there is nothing else to do.
    As a UT alum I'm flattered to be lumped in with Nebraska and Mich but I really don't think we're worthy

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I think a number of schools will be considering a similar renovation down the road, swapping some seating capacity to add more club seating and other luxury amenities. The TV product is getting better and better, while CFB attendance has been flat for quite some time and the ticket-buying demographic is aging. Long term, revenue maximization won't be about ever-increasing acreage of mediocre-view seats, it'll be more about maximizing revenue per seat.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

13. Likes:

Hoosier Red (01-19-2016)

"The SEC doesn't over sign"

That's either laughably ignorant or genuinely dishonest. Either way it's brutally and demonstrably false. It's a stance even the SEC does not take publicly...

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/college-r...ing-loopholes/

The SEC instituted a 25-person limit per class a few years ago, but even that rule doesn't cover teams over-signing with smaller classes (i.e. signing 15 players with 12 scholarships available) and doesn't address loopholes of early enrollments.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    "The SEC doesn't over sign"

That's either laughably ignorant or genuinely dishonest. Either way it's brutally and demonstrably false. It's a stance even the SEC does not take publicly...

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/college-r...ing-loopholes/

The SEC instituted a 25-person limit per class a few years ago, but even that rule doesn't cover teams over-signing with smaller classes (i.e. signing 15 players with 12 scholarships available) and doesn't address loopholes of early enrollments.
    The average signing class size in the SEC since 2011 is 25.4/class. OSU's since 2011? Yep....25.5/class.

I get the need to be pedantic but admitting the SEC has rules against over signing and posting a story about Jones trying to exploit a loophole and the SEC releasing a statement indicating they are monitoring the situation and will address it once signing day actually occurred seems like weak sauce and something that others could construe as even purposefully misleading.
    Last edited by jojo; 08-21-2014 at 07:25 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I love big time college athletics. However, this looks like hush money that will cost pennies on the dollar to what some revenue sharing arrangement would cost.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?