Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast

Thread: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I love big time college athletics. However, this looks like hush money that will cost pennies on the dollar to what some revenue sharing arrangement would cost.
    Pretty much. It's the NCAA's way of trying to do the bare minimum to avoid further legal action (i.e. pursuit of a nationwide unionization effort). I think this is a solid arrangement, but contrary to the posturing, it's not being done for the welfare of the "student-athlete." The only other thing I'd add to what they're doing is access to (albeit regulated) free-market earnings.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Pretty much. It's the NCAA's way of trying to do the bare minimum to avoid further legal action (i.e. pursuit of a nationwide unionization effort). I think this is a solid arrangement, but contrary to the posturing, it's not being done for the welfare of the "student-athlete." The only other thing I'd add to what they're doing is access to (albeit regulated) free-market earnings.
    Give 'em work study money like the rest of the student body, minimum wage rate. Clock in and out at practice and meetings. I know they are revenue generators, but it is a bit of a slap in the face to the kid paying tuition in addition to his academic scholarships, working 20-25 hours a week at a minimum wage job, and piling up thousands of dollars in student loans because they do not have a college fund or well-heeled parents, or now aren't a world class athlete. Academics do not have these types of opportunities, yet they certainly are a part of the millions of research dollars their school generates.
    Last edited by traderumor; 01-19-2015 at 05:19 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Give 'em work study money like the rest of the student body, minimum wage rate. Clock in and out at practice and meetings. I know they are revenue generators, but it is a bit of a slap in the face to the kid paying tuition in addition to his academic scholarships, working 20-25 hours a week at a minimum wage job, and piling up thousands of dollars in student loans because they do not have a college fund or well-heeled parents, or now aren't a world class athlete. Academics do not have these types of opportunities, yet they certainly are a part of the millions of research dollars their school generates.
    I've been banging the federal work study drum for years. I think that's a great approach... paying for the required hours put in each week. But to be honest, this current structure they opted for winds up paying only slightly less than if you'd go the hourly, in-season reimbursement. So fortunately it's not a big difference. I once calculated that football and basketball players would receive around $5k if they went the FWS route. In this system, most of the major schools will wind up paying about $4,000, so it's not a huge differential.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Kirk Herbstreit is butt hurt that there is no more NCAA football video game.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/19/107...eit-ed-obannon
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Kirk Herbstreit is butt hurt that there is no more NCAA football video game.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/19/107...eit-ed-obannon
    I don't play video games anymore, but I loved NCAA football and basketball when I did. Is sad that they are no longer able to produce a product.

Patrick Hruby makes an argument I have been making for years, only infinitely more informed, educated, and knowledgeably.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...college-sports
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Patrick Hruby makes an argument I have been making for years, only infinitely more informed, educated, and knowledgeably.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...college-sports
    "Nobel Prize-winning economist Gary Becker described campus amateurism as a regressive wealth transfer from mostly poor African-American athletes and their families to mostly well-off white managers, non-revenue sport athletes and their families. "

There's no doubt about that one.

I just don't understand why the schools go to a system that refrains from paying the athletes (to avoid Title IX issues) but allows them to make whatever they can outside of playing. Endorsements, autograph sessions, jersey sales, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    "Nobel Prize-winning economist Gary Becker described campus amateurism as a regressive wealth transfer from mostly poor African-American athletes and their families to mostly well-off white managers, non-revenue sport athletes and their families. "
    If colleges would just eliminate this regressive wealth transfer, think how much better off African American athletes would be. Oh, wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    If colleges would just eliminate this regressive wealth transfer, think how much better off African American athletes would be. Oh, wait.
    Which is still not a compelling reason to maintain an unjust wealth distribution.....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

It's really not so much about race but about sex. It's Title IX that's screwing this up.

So, an exploitative system should stay the same because only a few thousand would benefit from that change?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's really not so much about race but about sex. It's Title IX that's screwing this up.
    But Title IX is more about access than actual money. Women's coaches don't get equal pay and women's teams don't have equal facilities.

According to Hruby, college athletics has doubled its revenue in the last 10 years. The money is there.

But Title IX is more about access than actual money. Women's coaches don't get equal pay and women's teams don't have equal facilities.
    According to Wiki this is part of it:

"Male and female athletes should receive equivalent treatment, benefits, and opportunities."
    "Benefits" most certainly mean $$.

So, an exploitative system should stay the same because only a few thousand would benefit from that change?
    I don't consider any system exploitative where the "exploited" are far better off than they would be without the system and where people are lining up to be "exploited".

17. Likes:

bucksfan2 (04-06-2016)

Turn Off Ads?