Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Well Northwestern's obviously a different case. Not only Chicago, but Evanston is particularly expensive.

$2,800 for a four bedroom amounts to $700 per person, assuming no one doubles up in a room.

I think you can argue $1,300 isn't enough or as much as it should be, but to say it won't even "cover the rent" is going to be false in roughly 95% of cases. And of course they have the option in almost every case of living in the dorms rent free.(Of course then they don't get the $1,300 as I understand it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Well Northwestern's obviously a different case. Not only Chicago, but Evanston is particularly expensive.

$2,800 for a four bedroom amounts to $700 per person, assuming no one doubles up in a room.

I think you can argue $1,300 isn't enough or as much as it should be, but to say it won't even "cover the rent" is going to be false in roughly 95% of cases. And of course they have the option in almost every case of living in the dorms rent free.(Of course then they don't get the $1,300 as I understand it.)
    $600 a month for food should be more than enough. I could feed my family on that and that includes expensive formula and diapers for my 9 month old. I am not going to feel sorry for anyone or think they deserve more money when they are getting a free education as well as a nice monthly stipend because they are on an athletic scholarship.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    $600 a month for food should be more than enough. I could feed my family on that and that includes expensive formula and diapers for my 9 month old. I am not going to feel sorry for anyone or think they deserve more money when they are getting a free education as well as a nice monthly stipend because they are on an athletic scholarship.
    Anyone? Sure. The girls lacrosse players have no room to complain. The guys who are responsible for supporting football, baseball, lacrosse, bowling, golf, soccer and track? Yeah, those guys should be complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Anyone? Sure. The girls lacrosse players have no room to complain. The guys who are responsible for supporting football, baseball, lacrosse, bowling, golf, soccer and track? Yeah, those guys should be complaining.
    Under your assumption how many players on a football team actually bring money into the school? How many players actually have a draw beyond that of the draw that the university has? At OSU you may have one player that brings in above average interest to the program, Braxton Miller. So are you going to pay him and not everyone else?

Using your example of your buddy at Northwestern, it cost $63000/year to go to Northwestern. So over the course of 4-5 years a player is going to get $250000 to $315000 in free education, room and board. You can compound that by taking into consideration that said athlete will walk away with 0 student debt as opposed to what your average student will.

If you want to pay student athletes then find me a way that it works. Find me a way that it can be through the university and not from outside sources that have ulterior motives.

Under your assumption how many players on a football team actually bring money into the school? How many players actually have a draw beyond that of the draw that the university has? At OSU you may have one player that brings in above average interest to the program, Braxton Miller. So are you going to pay him and not everyone else?

Using your example of your buddy at Northwestern, it cost $63000/year to go to Northwestern. So over the course of 4-5 years a player is going to get $250000 to $315000 in free education, room and board. You can compound that by taking into consideration that said athlete will walk away with 0 student debt as opposed to what your average student will.

If you want to pay student athletes then find me a way that it works. Find me a way that it can be through the university and not from outside sources that have ulterior motives.
    What I would do would never happen, because it would eliminate sports that can't support themselves through donations/ticket sales.

Northwestern Football for example, made $9M last season after they paid for everything. What if they took half of that and paid the players with the remaining $4.5M? That would leave an average of $53,000 per player (85 per team).

There is an answer out there to pay players. The people in charge just don't want to look for it because it means more money for them.

As for that free education and what other students get/don't get.... I still could not care one ounce about the other students. The other students don't do the things the athletes do. They aren't on national television promoting the school. They aren't bringing in millions of dollars every year in revenue for the school.

As for that free education and what other students get/don't get.... I still could not care one ounce about the other students. The other students don't do the things the athletes do. They aren't on national television promoting the school. They aren't bringing in millions of dollars every year in revenue for the school.
    I think both pro and con tend to spin this without looking at the full context.
    The players bring in a large revenue, but a fair amount of cost too. It's impossible to tell what a specific player or even team brings in terms of marginal revenue.

At Northwestern, you could successfully argue the football players bring in more revenue than the swimmers, but how valuable would Northwestern football games be without the myth of "college sports."

If it weren't for the myth of the "student-athlete" then college football gathers no more attention than minor-league baseball.

So if you set up a system where players are paid what "they're worth," I wonder if it's possible that you kill off the interest and hurt their value.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

If it kills off college sports, then so be it. College isn't there for sports.

What I would do would never happen, because it would eliminate sports that can't support themselves through donations/ticket sales.

Northwestern Football for example, made $9M last season after they paid for everything. What if they took half of that and paid the players with the remaining $4.5M? That would leave an average of $53,000 per player (85 per team).

There is an answer out there to pay players. The people in charge just don't want to look for it because it means more money for them.

How did Northwestern make money? I would be willing to bet that Northwestern made that $9M because of its affiliation to the B1G conference more so than anything they did on the field. Being part of the B1G conference has more to do with the entire athletic department than it does the football program.

If it kills off college sports, then so be it. College isn't there for sports.
    If you don't care about college sports then why do you care so much about the student athletes getting paid?

If you don't care about college sports then why do you care so much about the student athletes getting paid?
    I love watching college sports. I don't miss many Bearcat football/basketball games. But that doesn't mean I am all for the players not getting their worth.

I am not blaming Title IX for the rising costs of tuition at all. But I am saying that if you just cut all sports that can't support themselves, you could save students some actual money.
    so then that would cut all womens sports. so you arents blaming title 9..but essentially you are. And then also baseball would not be a college sport anywhere..nor swimming or track. Most D1 basketball teams dont even make money. Most make their money from football and then distribute it throughout. When i was studying sports law, If someone wants to donate money to a specific program..like football, chances are they will get denied and that money would go to the entire athletic program. Because thats what it is..the schools athletic program as a whole..not sport by sport basis

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    so then that would cut all womens sports. so you arents blaming title 9..but essentially you are. And then also baseball would not be a college sport anywhere..nor swimming or track. Most D1 basketball teams dont even make money. Most make their money from football and then distribute it throughout. When i was studying sports law, If someone wants to donate money to a specific program..like football, chances are they will get denied and that money would go to the entire athletic program. Because thats what it is..the schools athletic program as a whole..not sport by sport basis
    I am not blaming title IX. I am all for cutting mens sports too that can't support themselves and I fully understand that may be every single sport at plenty of schools and all but football and basketball at most schools.

I do blame title IX for making it impossible to set it up to pay players though, because everyone has to get paid if someone is getting paid.

iu
    Last edited by coachpipe; 04-18-2013 at 04:04 PM.

If it kills off college sports, then so be it isn't there for sports.
    But that seems to be self defeating isn't it?

If athletes get paid what they're worth, but if in doing so they hurt the value of what they do to the point where we're actually worth less than they were receiving before they became lower scale professionals.

Now I'm not suggesting this as a certain outcome, but I definitely feel like it would be a possibility that should be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    But that seems to be self defeating isn't it?

If athletes get paid what they're worth, but if in doing so they hurt the value of what they do to the point where we're actually worth less than they were receiving before they became lower scale professionals.

Now I'm not suggesting this as a certain outcome, but I definitely feel like it would be a possibility that should be considered.
    If it kills off college sports, the NFL and NBA are going to have to really expand because they will no longer have a free feeder system. Then, most of these kids who want to play in the pros will get drafted and get paid. Baseball players do it right out of high school and almost all contracts set aside money for college if the player wants to use it down the road.

Turn Off Ads?