Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Ohio State football makes anywhere from $30-50M a year. A lot of that money goes back to supporting sports that lose money hand over fist. Still, the players should absolutely be fairly compensated and what they are getting now simply isn't enough at schools that truly rake in the money from football and basketball.

Don't get me wrong, I love college football and basketball, but the athletes are being taken advantage of, big time. Cut all sports from colleges. Stick with educating. NFL/NBA, get your own development leagues.
    Cut all sports from college? Really?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I am not blaming title IX. I am all for cutting mens sports too that can't support themselves and I fully understand that may be every single sport at plenty of schools and all but football and basketball at most schools.

I do blame title IX for making it impossible to set it up to pay players though, because everyone has to get paid if someone is getting paid.
    While I'm not sure I would go so far as to eliminate all non-revenue generating sports, I think that schools could (and should) limit costs by abandoning conference play for non-revenue sports and play more regional opponents. It just doesn't make sense to have the UC women's tennis team playing away matches at USF or Florida Atlantic or the men's golf team playing in Cabo San Lucas or Florida when there so many other schools located in this region.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Cut all sports from college? Really?
    Who knows? Maybe it just kills college football.

I could also see schools offering to pay players, but then say they don't get scholaships. Since they have to be a student at the school, they have to pay tuition, room and board themselves. So what they get in pay they end up losing in added costs in going to school. I think those proposing paying players need to look at the unintended consequences.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

An interesting developments for the NCAA and another potential (ironic) wrinkle.

1) The NCAA will no longer license to EA. This will most likely end the NCAA Football and Final Four basketball series video games. The NCAA claims that it has nothing to do with the Ed O'Bannon case, but that seems extremely unlikely.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ts-video-games

2) The saga of Johnny Manziel is REALLY interesting. Bomani Jones wrote an interesting article about him here.http://www.theshadowleague.com/artic...orst-nightmare

So, Johnny is the one player who could blow the system up, and yet the great irony is that Manziel is the kind of person for whom the entire system was originally designed. Amateurism prevented the poor, who needed to work and couldn't devote the same amount of time to a frivolous activity like football, from participating en masse. Manziel doesn't need college football and their form of payment (the scholarship), just like those who originally participated in amateur athletics didn't need the assistance. He is exactly the archetype of the original NCAA, and he could be one of the biggest threats to the NCAA. I am very interested to see his career plays out.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Development #2:

Six current players have joined the lawsuit.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...n-ncaa-lawsuit

Ruh-Roh.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

7. Likes:

dougdirt (07-19-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Development #2:

Six current players have joined the lawsuit.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...n-ncaa-lawsuit

Ruh-Roh.
    I freaking love it.

Get yours boys. Get yours.

Is Ed O'Bannon relevant if his college jersey had UCSD on it instead of UCLA?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Is Ed O'Bannon relevant if his college jersey had UCSD on it instead of UCLA?
    No. And he isn't relevant if college sports become a true minor league system where the best schools simply buy up the best players, either. People stop caring, and you kill the golden goose that these guys are fighting over.

I certainly don't think the current system is "fair and equitable" (whatever that means), but the only way to fix it without killing it (having the NCAA pay an equal amount to all athletes in the same sports at all athletes in the same division) has zero chance of actually happening.

O'Bannon may "get his", and he also may end up killing the next guy's chance to "get his" (meaning a free education, television exposure and access to unlimited hot coeds).

11. Likes:

coachpipe (07-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    No. And he isn't relevant if college sports become a true minor league system where the best schools simply buy up the best players, either. People stop caring, and you kill the golden goose that these guys are fighting over.

I certainly don't think the current system is "fair and equitable" (whatever that means), but the only way to fix it without killing it (having the NCAA pay an equal amount to all athletes in the same sports at all athletes in the same division) has zero chance of actually happening.

O'Bannon may "get his", and he also may end up killing the next guy's chance to "get his" (meaning a free education, television exposure and access to unlimited hot coeds).
    If he kills the system and it forces the NFL and NBA to expand or create a real minor league system, it will still be there. MLB pays guys to play in the minors right out of high school. Most of those contracts set aside money for college if the player wants to go later on. Sure, maybe they don't get the television exposure, but they will certainly have no problem with the women.

For a select few guys, playing minor league baseball is great. But it's nothing like college football is for about 5,000 guys at the top 60 schools. And college baseball is okay, but if college football and college basketball are going to be more like college baseball, I'm not real excited by the prospect of it all.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-22-2013)

If he kills the system and it forces the NFL and NBA to expand or create a real minor league system, it will still be there. MLB pays guys to play in the minors right out of high school. Most of those contracts set aside money for college if the player wants to go later on. Sure, maybe they don't get the television exposure, but they will certainly have no problem with the women.
    The NBA and NFL doesn't want to create a minor league system. To be honest I don't think it ever would work. The MLB system is unique and I doubt it could be replicated.

Lets use you example of a minor league NFL system. Each team is going to have to pay 65 or so players. They will need to fund a stadium for these players to play in. For ever great college team, 3/4 of the player will never play a professional down. So now an NFL team had to decide which players they want to invest in as 18 year olds in the most physically demanding sport. Not only that, they will have to guess right as well as surround the player with a bunch of guys who will never see the field. All that while trying to find a city and fund a stadium for those players to play in.

The thing with O'Bannon is he was able to use that UCLA jersey he drapped over his shoulders as a showcase to get drafted 9th in the NBA. Without UCLA you think he signs a $3.9M contract? Based upon his Wikipedia page he worked as the marketing director for a Las Vegas auto dealership. You think he gets that job if he doesn't have the notoriety from his days wearing a UCLA jersey?

Do you think that Ed O'Bannon is where he is right now without UCLA? Not only the education but also the exposure? Do you think that people would recognize Ed O'Bannon and tell what a great tournament he had in 95 when UCLA won it all? How about if he was playing for the Sioux Falls Skyforce or Fort Wayne Mad Ants?

16. Likes:

coachpipe (07-22-2013),Old school 1983 (06-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    For a select few guys, playing minor league baseball is great. But it's nothing like college football is for about 5,000 guys at the top 60 schools. And college baseball is okay, but if college football and college basketball are going to be more like college baseball, I'm not real excited by the prospect of it all.
    Of course you aren't excited about it. You benefit from how things currently work.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The NBA and NFL doesn't want to create a minor league system. To be honest I don't think it ever would work. The MLB system is unique and I doubt it could be replicated.

Lets use you example of a minor league NFL system. Each team is going to have to pay 65 or so players. They will need to fund a stadium for these players to play in. For ever great college team, 3/4 of the player will never play a professional down. So now an NFL team had to decide which players they want to invest in as 18 year olds in the most physically demanding sport. Not only that, they will have to guess right as well as surround the player with a bunch of guys who will never see the field. All that while trying to find a city and fund a stadium for those players to play in.

The thing with O'Bannon is he was able to use that UCLA jersey he drapped over his shoulders as a showcase to get drafted 9th in the NBA. Without UCLA you think he signs a $3.9M contract? Based upon his Wikipedia page he worked as the marketing director for a Las Vegas auto dealership. You think he gets that job if he doesn't have the notoriety from his days wearing a UCLA jersey?

Do you think that Ed O'Bannon is where he is right now without UCLA? Not only the education but also the exposure? Do you think that people would recognize Ed O'Bannon and tell what a great tournament he had in 95 when UCLA won it all? How about if he was playing for the Sioux Falls Skyforce or Fort Wayne Mad Ants?
    The only way it doesn't work is if colleges keep being allowed to do what they are doing. The NFL or NBA will figure out a way to make a minor league system work if they want to stay in business if colleges lose their power.

Without UCLA, Ed O'Bannon may have never blown out his knee and been the guy he could have been on the court. We don't know.

The schools need the players a lot more than the players need the schools. The NFL and NBA will find the players with or without colleges.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Of course you aren't excited about it. You benefit from how things currently work.
    And so do they, but theyre going to dismantle the system that "takes advantage of" (lol) about 1% of the players (the future pros) and ruin it for the other 99% of them.

This is the most greedy, ludicrous pile of [excrement] ever.

20. Likes:

coachpipe (07-22-2013),Old school 1983 (06-22-2014)

The only way it doesn't work is if colleges keep being allowed to do what they are doing. The NFL or NBA will figure out a way to make a minor league system work if they want to stay in business if colleges lose their power.

Without UCLA, Ed O'Bannon may have never blown out his knee and been the guy he could have been on the court. We don't know.

The schools need the players a lot more than the players need the schools. The NFL and NBA will find the players with or without colleges.
    Without UCLA who is Ed O'Bannon? Honest question, if he goes to another California state school, say UCSD, what does he become?

See I view it much differently than you do. If the NFL and NBA thought it was in their best financial sense to create a minor league system they would. I also think the student athletes need the schools much more. Where else could Braxton Miller go and play in front of 100,000 people every fall Saturday. OSU will still sell out the stadium with or without him.

What is Johnny Manziel without Texas A&M? He was a Texas school boy legend but until a performance against Alabama on national TV he was pretty much to people outside of Texas or the SEC. If he is playing for a minor league NFL team based in El Paso does anyone care? Does anyone notice if the El Paso Earthquakes beat the Spokane Thunders?

I agree with Boston Red, be careful not to slaughter that golden goose. There are 125 FBS schools with approximately 85 scholarships each bringing to the total of FBS players to 10,625. 254 players were drafted this past season in the NFL draft. So roughly 2.3% of collegiate football players are drafted which leaves 97.7% doing something other than playing football. 97.7% of college football players who get a full ride though college and the exposure playing on TV in front of the nation. You think the NFL wants to create a minor league system where only 2% make it to the NFL? You think the NFL wants to take that financial risk?

22. Likes:

coachpipe (07-22-2013)

Turn Off Ads?