Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chapman will close

Chapman will close

From John Fay's twitter:

Doc is reporting the #Reds have decided to put Chapman in the bullpen. http://cin.ci/Z2n405
    Here's another link:
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...ack-to-bullpen
    Last edited by Vander; 03-21-2013 at 11:10 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chapman will close

Not surprised, but I bet they'll still make moves to have him be a starter eventually. Maybe even late in the season

If Chapman does not want to be a starter I guess this is the right move. If he cannot get his head around being a starter it probably would not work.

I am worried though. I don't think Leake is a terrible #5 but I worry about what happens now if any of the starters get hurt.

This is the year

WTF.

Just came back to the forums to see if this was true.

Good friend of mine is saying we should trade him now while theres still hype about him ever being a starter. not sure i agree with that however, Why cant this organization turn him into a starter. I just dont understand. Professional ball team with all these trainers and the amount of money. Non stop working with him how he can not, when he grew up being one.

I dont like this decision at all. Our Starting rotation is now weaker than last years.

Dusty and Chapman are clearly on the side of Chapman staying a closer. I don't like getting into pointless speculation, so I'll leave it to others if they want to offer guesses about why they feel that way.

If Chapman stay a closer, the Broxton deal was a mistake. But hindsight is 20/20. If Chapman could be an effective starter, he would be. He's simply not there yet (if he ever will be).

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedJack View Post
    If Chapman does not want to be a starter I guess this is the right move. If he cannot get his head around being a starter it probably would not work.

I am worried though. I don't think Leake is a terrible #5 but I worry about what happens now if any of the starters get hurt.
    It shouldn't be his choice.

What pitcher wouldn't want to cash a multi-million dollar check and throw one inning every few games if given the option?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It shouldn't be his choice.

What pitcher wouldn't want to cash a multi-million dollar check and throw one inning every few games if given the option?
    I'm not sure anyone is saying it should be his "choice" but why wouldn't you want his opinion concerning whether he thought he was capable of doing it? you get his opinion and take that into consideration with other information/opinions.

It should never be any player's "choice" but their input is necessary.

If he wasn't comfortable with starting and preferred closing then I'm fine with it. Marshall-Broxton-Chapman at the back of our bullpen is pretty nasty.

I think it's also worth mentioning that we don't see his bullpens. He may just not be able to develop the consistency needed to start.

To me, this seems so simple. If Chapman can start, then he should start. Plain and simple. However, logically, I have to think that if it were that simple and he really had the ability to be the next Randy Johnson, then the organization would have done it. What else would explain blowing all that money on Broxton if they didn't intend to start him? They're not going to knowingly weaken their starting rotation just to appease the wishes of Aroldis Chapman.

From John Fay's twitter... Again...

Baker, Jocketty say no decision has been made on Chapman. "We'll put it to soon," Baker siad. #reds #cincienquirer
    And the plot thickens.... If only they could just make up their minds and end this crap...

Terrible terrible news, imo. I wish Walt and Price would have opened ST by telling Chapman and Baker that he would begin the season as a starter, period.

If Chapman could be an effective starter, he would be. He's simply not there yet (if he ever will be).
    This simply is not true. Here are two quotes from near the end of Spring Training last year.

Dusty Baker:
    "That was a very, very tough decision because Chapman could be one of our best starters or best relievers," Baker said. "It is a situation where with the injuries that we have, starting out early in the season when the starters are lucky to go five or six innings, we had to shore up our bullpen."
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/st...n-back-bullpen

Walt Jocketty:
    And if the Reds had only been able to keep half of their bullpen out of the emergency room this spring, Chapman might very well be in this team's rotation right now. He was told after last season he'd get a chance to start. He built himself up all winter to start. And he was "our most dominating starter" in spring training, Jocketty said.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/...pitcher-closer

This spring hitters are hitting .185 off of Chapman. His OPSA is .587. His ERA is 2.25.

It's hard for me to be optimistic about a rotation sans-Chapman. I think the Reds take a big step backward this year with Leake at no. 5.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Glad to hear it (if true).

Granted 3 years/21 million is a bit steep for Broxton now, but it's not Cordero money. Anyhow, Bob can thank Walt for that.

For those that don't like Leake too much....keep an eye on Cingrani and Corcino.

Leake isn't a terrible option as a no. 5 starter.

I dunno, when it comes to pitching I trust the organization's decisions.

Turn Off Ads?