Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman to bullpen now official

Chapman to bullpen now official

Reds are overstocked in the bullpen. Tigers desperately need a closer and are shopping Porcello.

Unfortunately we can't trade Broxton as we just signed him. But maybe we can offer someone else (or two other people) in the pen for Porcello? Granted I have a unique affection for former top draft picks, but I think Porcello could be on the verge of a breakout, and I don't really trust Mike Leake...
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: With Chapman now officially back in the bullpen

Wow. That may be the quickest trade speculation after a Reds decision that I've ever seen on this board.

If the Reds are interested in having a great bullpen, then I think they have it now. If you are trying to win now, then go all in. Not sure that Porcello would really be that much better than Leake in 2013.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Why not just wait and make this kind of a trade in a few months if a need in the rotation arises?

Is a declaration of expectation by Doc now what makes a decision "official"?

I hope Benihana is forced to redact this thread title... but it seems like the writing is now spray painted on the wall.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I hope Benihana is forced to redact this thread title... but it seems like the writing is now spray painted on the wall.
    And they had Picasso spray paint it because they thought it was the best use of his abilities.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

8. Likes:

LaFlamaBlanca (03-21-2013),OGB (03-25-2013),Screwball (03-21-2013),The Operator (03-22-2013),top6 (03-21-2013)

This officially makes me sick!

Maybe Strasburg, Kershaw, and Verlander should become closers.

If that's all they're going to do with this resource they owe it to him and baseball to trade him to a team that will use him properly. Or at least give him the chance.

Just a gross misuse of talent. I'm sick over this. Just sick and disgusted.

Maybe if you package him, Hamilton and Stephenson you could get the Marlins to listen on Stanton.

11. Likes:

remdog (03-21-2013),Slyder (03-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Why not just wait and make this kind of a trade in a few months if a need in the rotation arises?
    Because my guess is Detroit will have made a move by then, either to acquire a closer, trade Porcello, or both.

I think the groundball-inducing Porcello would be much better than Leake in GAB this year.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    If that's all they're going to do with this resource they owe it to him and baseball to trade him to a team that will use him properly. Or at least give him the chance.

Maybe if you package him, Hamilton and Stephenson you could get the Marlins to listen on Stanton.
    The Fish would do that deal in a second. I wouldn't as a Reds fan.

Chapman + one of those guys would probably get them to "listen on Stanton." All three of them would be highway robbery.

I would offer Chapman, Ludwick and their choice of Cingrani/Corcino for Stanton right now though just to see if they bite. It would be the perfect time for such a move.
    Go BLUE!!!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Agree with the above -- if they don't value Chapman as a starter, trade him to someone that does and get real value back.

They're already paying a closer.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

15. Likes:

remdog (03-21-2013),The Operator (03-22-2013),top6 (03-21-2013),WildcatFan (03-21-2013),wlf WV (03-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Because my guess is Detroit will have made a move by then, either to acquire a closer, trade Porcello, or both.

I think the groundball-inducing Porcello would be much better than Leake in GAB this year.
    I think the only guy in our bullpen who would fetch Porcello is Marshall. Would you make that trade?

They owe it to him and baseball... though he wants to stay in the pen?

Torches and pitchforks, torches and pitchforks.

18. Likes:

coachpipe (03-21-2013),CougarQuest (03-23-2013),HeatherC1212 (03-21-2013),JB12 (03-21-2013),Slyder (03-25-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    They owe it to him and baseball... though he wants to stay in the pen?

Torches and pitchforks, torches and pitchforks.
    They owe it to themselves.

Cash in on value instead of using it in a lesser role that you already have someone to fill.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

20. Likes:

remdog (03-21-2013)

Use him properly? Why does everyone speculate that hed be the best starter to ever pitch the game? The guy likes, feels more comfortable, and prefers the bullpen and the closer role...Why cant it just be accepted..

And then everyone also goes out and says things like oh we better trade him now...really? trade him now while hes got 4 more years on his contract. Thats just not going to happen so im not even going to talk about it.

Or the people saying he was brought in as a starter..A pitcher is signed as a pitcher and then put in the role best for THEM. You know where that person feels the most comfortable and able to help the TEAM win.

All I know is Im going to be wearing my Chapman jersey when he throws the last pitch of the world series this year

Turn Off Ads?