Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman to bullpen now official

Re: Chapman to bullpen not official.

It's like we didn't learn anything from last post-season. Quality rotation depth is needed because you never know what might happen. Cueto goes down, an extra start goes to Leake who bombs it, series put on Latos with short rest. sigh.

I'm just sad. So many hopes and dreams for that great arm.
    Just call me Legs

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    Link? Source? Don't believe it til I see one.
    Fine, don't believe it. I gave my source.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Hamilton's Legs View Post
    It's like we didn't learn anything from last post-season. Quality rotation depth is needed because you never know what might happen. Cueto goes down, an extra start goes to Leake who bombs it, series put on Latos with short rest. sigh.

To be fair, I don't think you should plan around an absolute fluke situation like what the Reds dealt with last year in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    Link? Source? Don't believe it til I see one.
    https://twitter.com/johnfayman/statu...86599853977600

Confirmed by C. Trent as well, who also had quotes from both guys on how "there was no split" on the decision.

Winning is fun.

Hopefully Ciangrani and/or Corcino will be able to step up if necessary. To me, counting on all five guys to make every start again is a bigger risk than moving Chapman to the rotation but I guess it doesn't matter now.

nm
    Last edited by westofyou; 03-22-2013 at 04:03 PM.

It's one thing that they passed on Chapman being a starter. Add in the contract given to the set-up guy (Broxton) ...

I don't know what to think.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

9. Likes:

The Operator (03-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    To be fair, I don't think you should plan around an absolute fluke situation like what the Reds dealt with last year in the playoffs.
    You're right about that. But there's no way the rotation stays healthy like it did last year. I think there's always a pretty good chance someone goes down for an extended period of time and is unavailable for the playoffs (Homer's shoulder comes back to haunt us for example).

I'm more curious about what changed from the winter until now that prompted them to put him back in the bullpen. Last year it was Madson and other bullpen injuries, but that wasnt the case this year. What happened?
    Just call me Legs

You're right about that. But there's no way the rotation stays healthy like it did last year. I think there's always a pretty good chance someone goes down for an extended period of time and is unavailable for the playoffs (Homer's shoulder comes back to haunt us for example).

I'm more curious about what changed from the winter until now that prompted them to put him back in the bullpen. Last year it was Madson and other bullpen injuries, but that wasnt the case this year. What happened?
    This year we have Cingrani and Corcino to hopefully choose from if something happens in the rotation.

As for what changed, there could be 100 different things. All of which have been debated about in this thread already.

https://twitter.com/johnfayman/statu...86599853977600

Confirmed by C. Trent as well, who also had quotes from both guys on how "there was no split" on the decision.
    Thanks.

Ugh....that way too familiar feeling of the Reds screwing something up is creeping up. 5 pitchers won't make it through every start again. Chapman has too much potential to not even try. I hate this decision.

This year we have Cingrani and Corcino to hopefully choose from if something happens in the rotation.

As for what changed, there could be 100 different things. All of which have been debated about in this thread already.
    I just want them to come out and say it. I need SOMETHING to help me feel better about the move. Maybe it's the innings limit/playoff thing, maybe it's worries about his durability, whatever it is, I just want to know why. I don't imagine I'll get my curiosity satisfied, but here's to hoping
    Just call me Legs

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    It's one thing that they passed on Chapman being a starter. Add in the contract given to the set-up guy (Broxton) ...

I don't know what to think.
    Think that the Reds have a potentially great bullpen. Worry about that they may not have enough starting pitching.

But forget about the contracts. They obviously came in within approximate budget, and if they need to reduce the bullpen commitment of dollars they will do it eventually.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Well, I was wrong.

Eating crow as we speak. Signing Broxton = Major fail if Chapman actually moves back to the 'pen. That's $21 million we could have used in a much-better way.

I just want them to come out and say it. I need SOMETHING to help me feel better about the move. Maybe it's the innings limit/playoff thing, maybe it's worries about his durability, whatever it is, I just want to know why. I don't imagine I'll get my curiosity satisfied, but here's to hoping
    The only thing that would help is stating the progress from Cingrani and Corcino. Red's front office must trust these guys enough to make this move. It's the only way I can rationalize the move.

We are paying $30 million to the baseball equivalent of a place kicker....

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Well, I was wrong.

Eating crow as we speak. Signing Broxton = Major fail if Chapman actually moves back to the 'pen. That's $21 million we could have used in a much-better way.
    Like a 2-year deal to Lohse?

Turn Off Ads?