Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman to bullpen now official

Re: Chapman to bullpen not official.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    The only thing that would help is stating the progress from Cingrani and Corcino. Red's front office must trust these guys enough to make this move. It's the only way I can rationalize the move.

We are paying $30 million to the baseball equivalent of a place kicker....
    Who has options in the bullpen race? I know Hoover does. I ask because maybe they keep one of them (maybe Hoover?) at AAA until the all-star break and ship off Marshall or Broxton for something useful and bring up Hoover.
    Just call me Legs

2. Turn Off Ads?

We are living right when this is our biggest complaint...where to put Chapman?

4. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (03-22-2013), REDREAD (03-22-2013), Tadasimha (03-22-2013)

Winning is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Hamilton's Legs View Post
    Who has options in the bullpen race? I know Hoover does. I ask because maybe they keep one of them (maybe Hoover?) at AAA until the all-star break and ship off Marshall or Broxton for something useful and bring up Hoover.
    If you trade Marshall you have to bring Ciangrani up to be a lefty out of the pen. I'm not a fan of that option. The rationale given for Chapman staying as the closer is that the Reds are in win-now mode, so I can't see Broxton being moved this season. If Broxton has a nice year maybe you can move him next offseason and potentially use his + Bronson's money to help re-sign Choo or to lock up more of the youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Hamilton's Legs View Post
    Broxton has a clause in his contract that if he is traded he gets a boatload of money his final year. I can't see him being moved.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Broxton has a clause in his contract that if he is traded he gets a boatload of money his final year. I can't see him being moved.
    Just call me Legs

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I don't agree with the decision. However, I raise my right hand and promise to not bring it up every time he blows a save, or each time he blows away the opponent for an inning, or each time Leake throws a honker, or a starter misses a start.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

9. Likes:

Ga_Red (03-22-2013), REDREAD (03-22-2013)

Loved this tweet

Redplacementlvl @RedPlacementLvl
    What a PR machine the #Reds have. Publicly fight over if Chapman should start then publicly say there was no debate... How does that work?

11. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (03-22-2013)

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...pman-to-close/

Baker said it wasn’t Chapman vs. Leake decision.

“That’s not how it was,” Baker said. “We thought Chapman setting up our bullpen gave us a better chance to win.”

The Reds are in the win-now mode.

“We’re a team built to win,” Jocketty said. “In our opinion, this gives us the best chance to win now.”

Jocketty did not rule out Chapman starting in the future.

“Who knows one day he may start,” Jocketty said. “But this is the best decision for us to be successful.”

13. Likes:

Ga_Red (03-22-2013)

It says the 2016 year becomes a mutual option instead of a team option w/ 2 million buyout. Is that enough to make him untradable? I think someone would bite on that if he performed well this season
    Just call me Legs

Sometimes you just have to be thankful that the Reds have so many good pitchers. The quibble about roles is secondary to the number of good pitchers available on this team.

Cueto, Bailey, Latos, Arroyo, Broxton, Marshall, Chapman, Lecure. With Hoover a good young reliever. Arredondo who can be lights out at times. Leake, who has had success at times.

Their backups are guys like Simon, Ondrusek, Parra, Cingrani, Galarraga, Corcino. Clay Hensley.

I think it's all good. And I would suggest folks stop trying to be the Reds' financial advisers because none of us know their true financial situation. For all we know there is room to add still more players if need be.

Time for some baseball. Reds up in the first against Kershaw in the Cactus League today.

16. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (03-22-2013), PuffyPig (03-22-2013), thatcoolguy_22 (03-22-2013)

“That’s not how it was,” Baker said. “We thought Chapman setting up our bullpen gave us a better chance to win.”

“We’re a team built to win,” Jocketty said. “In our opinion, this gives us the best chance to win now.”

“Who knows one day he may start,” Jocketty said. “But this is the best decision for us to be successful.”
    That's what he said last year. I think the Reds had a no lose decision here, because either way, Chapman is going to be very valuable. Its just likely he would come closer to maximizing his value as a starter.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

“Who knows one day he may start,” Jocketty said. “But this is the best decision for us to be successful
    .”
    When? After he's been a reliever for another couple years? The Reds will be in 'win now' mode next year and the year after as well. It's almost like they're trying to make the Bengals look like they're run well.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

When Dusty Baker starts co-opting upper management's role, it's either time to make him King and hand him the ownership of the team or to fire him and his toothpick back to Sacramento. I'm of the opinion that Baker should be used as a Bat Boy instead of a Manager if the Reds are in a 'win-now' mode. He's been allowed to linger too long in the Reds' clubhouse.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

20. Likes:

nmculbreth (03-22-2013), RedEye (03-22-2013), redsfandan (03-22-2013)

Winning is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't agree with the decision. However, I raise my right hand and promise to not bring it up every time he blows a save, or each time he blows away the opponent for an inning, or each time Leake throws a honker, or a starter misses a start.
    Do we all have to make this pledge?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    When? After he's been a reliever for another couple years? The Reds will be in 'win now' mode next year and the year after as well. It's almost like they're trying to make the Bengals look like they're run well.
    The current Reds will score pretty high on a "well run organization" ranking in their industry.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

23. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (03-22-2013), Plus Plus (03-22-2013), PuffyPig (03-22-2013), RANDY IN INDY (03-22-2013), Screwball (03-22-2013), thatcoolguy_22 (03-22-2013)

Turn Off Ads?