Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman to bullpen now official

Re: Chapman to bullpen now official.

An reliable pen for innings 7-9 always makes a difference, but you get that with a good closer as much as some so-called elite closers. We saw that first-hand with Coco. He converted 86% of his save chances with the Reds, which is very good.

An elite closer might get you an extra save or two over the course of a year (though some of that is dependent on luck) and an extra win could make all the difference. But it's not a terribly big gap between the best closer baseball and an average closer. And most elite closers tend to have short stays at the top. Rivera, Hoffman and Wagner were freaks. More common are guys like Joakim Soria, K-Rod (already on the downhill when he saved 62 games) and Brian Wilson.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Likes:

redsfandan (03-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

:bray: I've said enough about Chapman, so I'll just express my reaction with that.
    Last edited by Superdude; 03-22-2013 at 07:03 PM.

5. Likes:

redsfandan (03-22-2013)

Assuming Chapman stays the closer until his contract expires (it's so painful to type that), does anyone think he'll ever get the chance to start? I hope the next team he signs with gives him a shot. Rarely does a player's potential pique my curiosity like Chapman's. I'd guess no, but wondering if others think it's possible.
    Just call me Legs

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Hamilton's Legs View Post
    Assuming Chapman stays the closer until his contract expires (it's so painful to type that), does anyone think he'll ever get the chance to start? I hope the next team he signs with gives him a shot. Rarely does a player's potential pique my curiosity like Chapman's. I'd guess no, but wondering if others think it's possible.
    I don't know, but I do think this decision may end up costing Aroldis upwards of 50 million dollars.

8. Likes:

redsfandan (03-22-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Hamilton's Legs View Post
    Since Chapman has indicated he prefers to close, I assume he'll sign with the reds or sign with another team who will let him close.

It's not like he's being forced against his will.

If Chapman indicates he wants to start, he'll get his chance.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

If Chapman indicates he wants to start, he'll get his chance.
    That didn't happen in 2011 or 2012, when he stated he preferred to start.

11. Likes:

redsfandan (03-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I don't know, but I do think this decision may end up costing Aroldis upwards of 50 million dollars.
    CJ Wilson thinks he'll be ok.

13. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (03-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    CJ Wilson thinks he'll be ok.
    huh?
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

I wish I could enter one of the alternative universes that has Chapman starting this season. Nothing worse than always thinking, "what if?"

16. Likes:

gilpdawg (03-23-2013), redsfandan (03-22-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That didn't happen in 2011 or 2012, when he stated he preferred to start.
    Not true, he was starting in the minors in 2010, he became a reliever with the Reds because that was the role that was open.

I'm happy with the decision. I don't think chappy had enough variety of pitches, or control to be a "pitcher"...BUT he does "throw" the ball most excellent for an inning or two. The 8th and 9th innings are going to shutdown, lights out fun again! : )

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    huh?
    Switched to starter at 29 and signed a monster contract later. This move doesn't ruin this guy financially by any stretch, now or in the future.

20. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (03-23-2013)

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm disappointed in the Reds. They didn't take the long view and allow it to play out. I think they kinda caved to pressure and took a short view.

But maybe Aroldis ism't wired to be a starter. I heard an interview with Price and he said some guys just don't have the mindset, discipline, and wherewithal to be a starter.Some guys like the rush of relieving. Like Jonathon Paplebon.
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 03-22-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Pay attention to the open sky

22. Likes:

gilpdawg (03-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Switched to starter at 29 and signed a monster contract later. This move doesn't ruin this guy financially by any stretch, now or in the future.
    Yeah he was. But, we could probably say that the only thing that ruins any of these guys, financially, is bad decisions and naivete. The fact is Chapman would make more as a starter JUST like CJ Wilson would've made more if he had been a starter from the start.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by faffy42 View Post
    I'm happy with the decision. I don't think chappy had enough variety of pitches, or control to be a "pitcher"...BUT he does "throw" the ball most excellent for an inning or two. The 8th and 9th innings are going to shutdown, lights out fun again! : )
    Randy Johnson only had two pitches and his control was not the greatest. Chapman could be the next Randy Johnson at least to see the Reds move him to the pen indicates to me that they are not committed to the long term success. To see Chapman change his desires and want to close rather than work through some hard times to become a starter indicates to me that he is not a winner. Winners want the ball and starters get more innings and have more of an impact on games than a reliever.

Turn Off Ads?