Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman to bullpen now official

Re: With Chapman now officially back in the bullpen

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I think the only guy in our bullpen who would fetch Porcello is Marshall. Would you make that trade?
    I was thinking that. I would MUCH rather trade Broxton, but alas we can't.

I would think hard about Marshall for Porcello if Chapman is staying in the pen indefinitely (and we are saddled with Broxton). If Marshall were right-handed, I would do this deal in a nanosecond.

Then trade Leake for Austin Hedges and one of Andrew Cashner/Luke Gregorson.
    Last edited by Benihana; 03-21-2013 at 12:22 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Chapman and BP for Robbie Cano (with extension)!

Sorry, felt the need to do something ridiculous.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

4. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (03-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Chapman and BP for Robbie Cano (with extension)!

Sorry, felt the need to do something ridiculous.
    sign me up!

For the good of the game...

6. Likes:

pahster (03-21-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (03-21-2013)

Redszone may explode today!

Duuuuummmmmmb duuuummmmb dummmb dummmb DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBB!

Stupid decision. Chapman will now be underused and wasted in the bullpen. This team could have 3 aces in the rotation! But the Reds rather have a closer? WHEN WE ALREADY HAVE 2 in Broxton and Marshall....

I reeeeeeeeeeally hate this decision.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    Duuuuummmmmmb duuuummmmb dummmb dummmb DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBB!

Stupid decision. Chapman will now be underused and wasted in the bullpen. This team could have 3 aces in the rotation! But the Reds rather have a closer? WHEN WE ALREADY HAVE 2 in Broxton and Marshall....

I reeeeeeeeeeally hate this decision.
    Let's be fair, they could have had four if Bailey takes one more step forward.

10. Likes:

BoxingRed (03-21-2013),WildcatFan (03-21-2013)

Do we really know for sure that Chapman is built mentally and physically to pitch 200 plus innings per year plus postseason? Honestly, his secondary pitches just aren't good or consistent. And by the time he would possibly figure it out, he'd be a free agent and ready to bolt. I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm fine with this decision. I have much less confidence in his ability to turn into an ace than most people on this board.

12. Likes:

coachpipe (03-21-2013),CougarQuest (03-23-2013),Ga_Red (03-22-2013),HeatherC1212 (03-21-2013),hebroncougar (03-21-2013),mth123 (03-23-2013),REDREAD (03-21-2013)

With all due respect, I think this management team has done enough to earn our trust. They're going to do what's best for the team. They have WAY more information than any of us do. All the good this organization has done the last few years, and one decision people don't agree with and everyone takes turns urinating on them.

14. Likes:

coachpipe (03-21-2013),CougarQuest (03-23-2013),Drugs Delaney (03-21-2013),Ga_Red (03-22-2013),Puffy (03-21-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Do we really know for sure that Chapman is built mentally and physically to pitch 200 plus innings per year plus postseason? Honestly, his secondary pitches just aren't good or consistent. And by the time he would possibly figure it out, he'd be a free agent and ready to bolt. I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm fine with this decision. I have much less confidence in his ability to turn into an ace than most people on this board.
    You know what probably would have helped his secondary offerings?

Not rushing him to the majors and throwing him in the bullpen.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

16. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (03-21-2013),The Operator (03-22-2013)

I will withhold much comment until:
    1. The Reds announce the decision and
    2. the Reds announce the details.

It is quite possible that the Reds will choose to use Chapman in the pen initially but in longer stints to keep his innings down and then transition him into the starting rotation. IIRC correctly this is the approach the Braves took with Medlen last year. The need for a 5th started is limited the first few weeks and perhaps the Reds will choose to use Leake in that bounced around role for now instead of Chapman.

Or Doc could be wrong.

The Reds went from having question marks in their rotation as well as bullpen to having one of the best pen's in the league and having a damn good rotation.

This is a win now move. Personally I applaud the organization for making win now moves instead of constantly looking two years down the road.

19. Likes:

coachpipe (03-21-2013),Ga_Red (03-22-2013),HeatherC1212 (03-21-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I hesitate to term anything that allows Mike Leake to throw 150+ innings as a "win now" move.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

21. Likes:

membengal (03-21-2013),Nasty_Boy (03-21-2013),Norm Chortleton (03-21-2013),The Operator (03-22-2013)

What if a starter gets hurt this season?

Who's are 6th starter? LeCure? Chapman solidified our rotation and gave a fun wild-card aspect to it. Now we have question marks in the rotation or we sign Lohse.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    What if a starter gets hurt this season?

Who's are 6th starter? LeCure? Chapman solidified our rotation and gave a fun wild-card aspect to it. Now we have question marks in the rotation or we sign Lohse.
    AAA has multiple options, including two good prospects and several "veteran" types who could fill in for a shorter term injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    You know what probably would have helped his secondary offerings?

Not rushing him to the majors and throwing him in the bullpen.
    So he hasn't helped in the bullpen? He's helped transform our bullpen from average to dominant. Look, I'd take an ace every day over a close. Even a great closer. I just don't believe he's an elite starting pitcher. He's not effective when he sits at 94-95. We've seen that a million times. So why do we think it'd be any different as a starter, when he'll be consistently sitting in that range?

25. Likes:

CougarQuest (03-23-2013)

Turn Off Ads?