Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman to bullpen now official

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Not sure why everyone is up in arms if Chapman remains the closer. Sure it'd be nice to see what he potentially could do as a starter, but at the same time, we've already seen what he does do as a closer. Ask any Yankee fan if they'd give up Rivera pitching the 9th inning of a 1 run game in the world series just to see what he could do in the first six innings every fifth day. I bet they'd laugh their ass off.
    Try reading the remaining parts of the two threads on the topic more carefully and I think you'll understand more.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: With Chapman now officially back in the bullpen

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    You realize that Hoover only started 18 games above A ball. The Braves had converted him to reliever before the Reds traded for him.
    The minor league website I'm looking at showed him starting 42 games out of 71 total games in AA and AAA in the Braves minor leagues.

I transcend race, hombre LaFlamaBlanca's Avatar

Not sure why everyone is up in arms if Chapman remains the closer. Sure it'd be nice to see what he potentially could do as a starter, but at the same time, we've already seen what he does do as a closer. Ask any Yankee fan if they'd give up Rivera pitching the 9th inning of a 1 run game in the world series just to see what he could do in the first six innings every fifth day. I bet they'd laugh their ass off.
    Uh maybe we should make it to the World Series first before we start planning out Game 7? Chapman, if he fulfills his TOR starter potential, will be critical in getting us there.

5. Likes:

M2 (03-21-2013),membengal (03-21-2013),WildcatFan (03-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by LaFlamaBlanca View Post
    Uh maybe we should make it to the World Series first before we start planning out Game 7? Chapman, if he fulfills his TOR starter potential, will be critical in getting us there.
    Amen!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    The minor league website I'm looking at showed him starting 42 games out of 71 total games in AA and AAA in the Braves minor leagues.
    24 of those starts came in A+ in 2010

According to baseball reference:

Before 2010 Hoover was a starter in A/A+.
    2010 (with the Braves) was his last year as a full time starter. He split time between A+ (24 starts) and AA (4 starts)
    In 2011 (with the Braves) he started 14 games (12 in AA and 2 in AAA) and relieved in 29 (19 in AA and 10 in AAA).
    In 2012 (with the Reds) he appearned in 30 AAA games, all in relief.
    Last edited by puca; 03-21-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Re: Chapman to bullpen not official.

If all this 'blowback' is coming from Dusty, I'd rather pack him up and let him spend the summer in Sacramento. He's fighting management above him as well as his own team and that can't be doing anyone any good.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

12:07pm: The Padres have turned down two offers from the Tigers, Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio reports (on Twitter). The Padres declined to take Porcello for Huston Street or Luke Gregerson, a Tigers source told Bowden.

THURSDAY, 8:33am: The Cardinals are checking out Porcello, Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports (on Twitter).
    Hoover and Masset for Porcello. Then flip Leake for prospects. Let's go.

(Don't let the Cardinals get him, we'll regret it...trust me.)
    Go BLUE!!!

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    If all this 'blowback' is coming from Dusty, I'd rather pack him up and let him spend the summer in Sacramento. He's fighting management above him as well as his own team and that can't be doing anyone any good.

Rem
    Yeah I don't know if I dig it. I've been good with Dusty most of his time here, but I wasn't sure about him coming back after the last NLDS. If he can't get on board with the rest of the team, that especially doesn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post

Rem
    Absolutely. I've been of the thought that most of the things a manager does don't have that much effect on the team's performance. But once a manager goes rogue and starts contradicting his GM to the press, that's a problem.

Though I personally would prefer he start, I will not be up in arms if he is the closer. I have faith that Walt and Price will not let Dusty and/or Aroldis force their hand and will make the best choice for the club as a whole.

Those that are rooting for Aroldis to be kept as the closer, remember the last two playoff series where the Reds were eliminated their closer never had a chance to make an impact.

I'm not one to advocate swinging a quick ax for extracurricular nonsense. If Dusty's thrown a nutty over the Chapman situation then he needs to be roped in for sure, but I'd be reluctant to fire him.

Mind you, it's possible the Reds already held a circle-the-wagons meeting and Dusty is breaking ranks. In that case the team has a problem. Firing still might not be the right answer (it really depends on what has been said internally and whether the dissension is spilling over to the team).

But Dusty's got to pull himself together immediately.

Side effect question, how is this whole situation affecting Broxton? Is it distraction enough that he's not able to focus on getting fully prepared for the season?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

puca (03-21-2013),Raisor (03-21-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

Side effect question, how is this whole situation affecting Broxton? Is it distraction enough that he's not able to focus on getting fully prepared for the season?
    I don't believe that Broxton needs to "get his mind right" for closing versus pitching in the 8th. So, I will say, none.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't believe that Broxton needs to "get his mind right" for closing versus pitching in the 8th. So, I will say, none.
    Relievers are flaky by nature. They seem to benefit inordinately from structure, and suffer inordinately from a lack of structure. I'd like to think closing or pitching the 8th makes no difference. I want that to be the case, but reliever volatility is a real thing and I'd be wary of contributing to it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Relievers are flaky by nature. They seem to benefit inordinately from structure, and suffer inordinately from a lack of structure. I'd like to think closing or pitching the 8th makes no difference. I want that to be the case, but reliever volatility is a real thing and I'd be wary of contributing to it.
    He went from Royals closer to Reds set up guy pretty well last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Hoover and Masset for Porcello. Then flip Leake for prospects. Let's go.

(Don't let the Cardinals get him, we'll regret it...trust me.)
    Why would Detroit do that and what kind of prospects do you expect Leake would bring?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?