Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latos more at ease entering second year with Reds

Latos more at ease entering second year with Reds

Nice article from Mark Sheldon on Mat Latos.

"I love the Reds organization, from top to bottom," Latos said. "Yes, it was nice to get a little bit of a breather, but at the same time, if it wouldn't have gotten done, it wouldn't have gotten done. I still would have come here without any resentment toward the front office."

During the offseason, Latos set a goal of improving the one pitch that he felt wasn't up to par in his repertoire -- the changeup. This spring, he sought out the organization's changeup guru, special assistant to the general manager and former Reds ace Mario Soto.

In the past with the Padres, Latos worked on the pitch with Trevor Hoffman, the former closer who had a legendary changeup, but Latos feels the improvement has gone to another level under Soto's tutelage.

"I think the changeup is going to be a really good pitch for me, especially at Great American Ball Park," Latos said. "[Soto] opens the door and sheds light on things that I didn't really understand, and I now understand. I'm able to throw it for strikes. I'm able to throw it behind in the count. I'm able to throw it first pitch or deep in the count."
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin

2. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (03-22-2013),REDREAD (03-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Latos more at ease entering second year with Reds

When Latos first came up, in his first two seasons, he threw his change up about 11% of the time. In each of the last two seasons, he has dropped to 6.4 and 4.5% with the usage of the pitch. When he first came up, the results weren't good on the change up, it was a well below-average pitch in terms of pitch value at Fangraphs. The next year it was actually an above-average pitch. In 2011, it was average to slightly above-average. Then in 2012, it was back to being well below-average. Of course, he was throwing it less the last two years. If his change up can be even an average pitch, much less a good pitch, and he favors it a little more we could see him take that "next step" forward.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (03-22-2013)

love reading stuff like this

If he has a changeup and his slider working consistently, he'll put up TOR numbers.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    If he has a changeup and his slider working consistently, he'll put up TOR numbers.
    Agreed! Also, if he learns to not lose his head. I didn't follow him when he was with the Padres, but last year it seemed like every time things didn't go quite his way he would just instantly get frustrated/angry. If you want an example, look at the 6 runs he gave up to end the Reds season last year.

I like Latos a lot. I'm just hoping to see him get past these temper tantrums.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I like Latos a lot. I'm just hoping to see him get past these temper tantrums.
    With age generally comes maturity.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

IMO, Latos will finish this season in the top 3 in the National League in Cy Young voting. I personally think he has a great chance to win it.

I love this kid pitching in a Red's uniform. Latos is who we thought Bailey would be. Ever since he's hit the majors, he's been great. He's younger than Bailey too, YOUNGER THAN BAILEY!!!

What maturity problems? Maybe it sucks to play in San Diego.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    I love this kid pitching in a Red's uniform. Latos is who we thought Bailey would be. Ever since he's hit the majors, he's been great. He's younger than Bailey too, YOUNGER THAN BAILEY!!!

What maturity problems? Maybe it sucks to play in San Diego.
    To be fair, "maturity" has been a mark on the reports for Latos since he was drafted. Whether they are fair marks or not, I don't know, but they have been there for a while. Personally, I don't think it matters with Latos.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    To be fair, "maturity" has been a mark on the reports for Latos since he was drafted. Whether they are fair marks or not, I don't know, but they have been there for a while. Personally, I don't think it matters with Latos.
    I agree. I saw him get upset and continue to dominate and I've seen him fall apart. Sort of like a lot of pitchers who don't operate on an even keel at all times.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Latos is a stud. Great pick up by Walt.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Didn't Soto teach Cueto and Volquez the change-up as well? I remember reading about it when Volquez had his break out year in Cinci.

Latos is going to be a stud. I think he finishes top 5 in CY Young and takes a huge leap forward this year. Sub 3 era and 220 IP with 200K. This is the Redlegs year. Best bullpen in the NL and 2 Cy Young canidates.

Is Latos healthy? I've seen a few blurbs that imply something is up.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Is Latos healthy? I've seen a few blurbs that imply something is up.
    Got hit by a liner and they had to X-Ray his ankle. No fractures. He'll be fine.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Got hit by a liner and they had to X-Ray his ankle. No fractures. He'll be fine.
    Good news. Thanks.

Turn Off Ads?