Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 279

Thread: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,136

    The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

    I know it's just spring training, but Yorman Rodriguez (.350/.435/.800) has been on fire. He's laying off bad pitches, driving the ball, generally putting five tools in action. If he carries that kind of play into the season, he's going to wreck A ball.

    It's easy to forget, because he's been around for so long, but he's only 20 years old. Organizationally speaking, he could be the story of 2013.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  2. Likes:

    OnBaseMachine (03-22-2013), REDREAD (03-25-2013)

  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,062

    Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

    Highlight of spring training for me.

    I haven't seen Yorman much, but when I saw him take a ball way out to CF in Dayton last summer (on milb.com), it got my attention. It'll be interesting to see how he does back at Bakersfield, where he was awful last year. Personally, I'd love to see him challenged at Pensacola instead.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  4. #3
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,136

    Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Highlight of spring training for me.

    I haven't seen Yorman much, but when I saw him take a ball way out to CF in Dayton last summer (on milb.com), it got my attention. It'll be interesting to see how he does back at Bakersfield, where he was awful last year. Personally, I'd love to see him challenged at Pensacola instead.
    I'd let him crush A ball a bit first (possibly even start him at Dayton). He needs to taste some success and work himself into a groove. Build some confidence into his game. Once he gets that, then challenge him.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,225

    Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd let him crush A ball a bit first (possibly even start him at Dayton). He needs to taste some success and work himself into a groove. Build some confidence into his game. Once he gets that, then challenge him.
    I disagree with starting him in Dayton (he's already spent quite a bit of time there from 2011-2012), but totally agree about letting him experience some success in A ball before moving him up. To be honest, given how poor his production has been thus far in his career, I wouldn't be against keeping him in Bakersfield all year. An extended period of success would do him some good.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,062

    Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

    I'd let him crush A ball a bit first (possibly even start him at Dayton). He needs to taste some success and work himself into a groove. Build some confidence into his game. Once he gets that, then challenge him.
    I won't argue against Bakersfield, but he has nothing left to prove in Dayton. Did a great job getting his game together there last summer. He deserves a clean promotion, and not just on 2012 but on his ST performance too, IMO.

    They've thrown him out in CF in ST, I've noticed. Played all of last year in RF. Will be interesting to see where he ends up in 2013.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  7. #6
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,136

    Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

    I've got some concerns about Bakersfield. One is that you can get away with some bad hitting habits in the Cali League that can come back to haunt you when you move to more normal leagues.

    The other is the cohort that's moving to Bakersfield isn't terribly inspiring. Maybe Waldrop, Silva, Perez and Wright will take leaps forward. Yet pitchers might be able to feed Rodriguez a steady diet of garbage because the rest of the Bakersfield team isn't much of a threat.
    Last edited by M2; 03-22-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  8. #7
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,860

    Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I've got some concerns about Bakersfield. One is that you can get away with some bad hitting habits in the Cali League that can come back to haunt you when you move to more normal leagues.

    The other is the cohort that's moving to Bakersfield isn't terribly inspiring. Maybe Waldrop, Silva, Perez and Wright will take leaps forward. Yet are pitchers might be able to feed Rodriguez a steady diet of garbage because the rest of the Bakersfield team isn't much of a threat.
    I am not sure other guys feeding him garbage isn't good for him. His pitch selection is the reason he hasn't really hit much the past few years. The guy has the hit tool and the power tool to be a real difference maker, but he hasn't had it play that way because it is tough to do much with bad pitches. Of course, you could always see that work against you as you get impatient of seeing nothing and start swinging at everything again.

    With that said, while it is just ST and I know better to not pay attention to ST stats, there is always a case where something may show up that says "change in skillset", particularly with young players. While Rodriguez doesn't have enough time to say one way or the other, especially with guys early in spring still searching for their control, his walks caught my eye. Last season he never walked more than 3 times in any given weeks worth of games (rolling 7 game stretches - I checked). He did that this spring, against much better competition than he faced last year. At the very least, it is worth keeping an eye on.

  9. Likes:

    bellhead (03-23-2013)

  10. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,062

    Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

    The other is the cohort that's moving to Bakersfield isn't terribly inspiring. Maybe Waldrop, Silva, Perez and Wright will take leaps forward. Yet are pitchers might be able to feed Rodriguez a steady diet of garbage because the rest of the Bakersfield team isn't much of a threat.
    We don't really know what goes into the recipe for success for Yorman. He did well with that group in Dayton last year. I believe his two good years have been under DeShields (Billings and Dayton). Struggled mightily in Bakersfield last year, and I think the same coaching staff returns there this year. Of course, he is the author of his fate, so to an important extent the surroundings should be irrelevant. Still, fun to speculate because he's got so much talent and he's been so enigmatic.

    As far as getting junk to hit, that might actually be a good test. I'm guessing he's been tattooing spring training fastballs the last few weeks. The stuff that wiggles or goes slow is often what guys like Yorman need to tame.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  11. #9
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,136

    Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

    I should stress that by "garbage" in this case, what I specifically meant was not very many pitches in the strikezone as opposed to constant off-speed offerings. He may get a heater, but it could be up around his shoulders.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  12. #10
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,772

    Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

    I'm glad someone brought this up. (I was too afraid of getting 15 "SSS" replies) I'm cautiously excited to see whether he keeps this up because I'm not sure there could be any minor league story bigger than Yorman Rodriguez's skills finally catching up to his tools.

  13. Likes:

    OnBaseMachine (03-22-2013)

  14. #11
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,860

    Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I'm glad someone brought this up. (I was too afraid of getting 15 "SSS" replies) I'm cautiously excited to see whether he keeps this up because I'm not sure there could be any minor league story bigger than Yorman Rodriguez's skills finally catching up to his tools.
    Robert Stephenson also putting it all together could rival that. But yeah, it would be huge to see him start to get the most out of his tools, particularly on the offensive side of things.

  15. #12
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,772

    Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Robert Stephenson also putting it all together could rival that. But yeah, it would be huge to see him start to get the most out of his tools, particularly on the offensive side of things.
    I guess the difference is I'll be disappointed if Stephenson doesn't put it all together. I'm prepared for another underwhelming season out of Rodriguez, so him finally unleashing the toolshed would make me nothing short of giddy.

  16. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    5,715

    Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

    The past two years, when the yearly "Who will have a breakout season?" thread came around, I have said YRod. Not necessarily because I thought he was the most likely candidate, but more because I felt like his coming of age would be the best news for the organization.

    I would be ecstatic if he were to start to put it all together this season. I was impressed by the way he returned from his stint in extended spring training/on the DL.

  17. #14
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

    His Spring Training definitely caught my attention. I hope his time has arrived.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  18. #15
    Arbiter of Good Taste OGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,094

    Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

    With his age and pedigree, if he performs well enough offensively this year, I could see him vaulting into a top 50 guy or better nationally
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25