Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Carlton Daal

Carlton Daal

Hi all, this is my first post, but I've been reading for a long time. I try to follow the minors as well as I can, but it's tough with school and work. I've been looking through some stats lately and noticed Carlton Daal's numbers. I know shortstop is a spot of interest/need for the Reds and I just can't figure out why Daal hasn't gotten much recognition. He posted a line of 296/334/351/685 this year. The OPS is low, but he gets on base and gets hits. It's only A ball, but those numbers have to mean something. What am I missing here? Obviously, I'm not suggesting calling him up immediately or anything like that. I'm just wondering why he hasn't been recognized much as a legit prospect considering he's only 21 and I believe only signed with the Reds a year or two ago.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Carlton Daal

His defense is questionable, at best.

His on base was Batting Average driven and his average was due to a .356 Batting Average on Balls in Play. Normalize that to around.300 and his OBP goes down to around there as well. He's more promising than anything we've seen in a while, but there is plenty of reason to think it's a mirage.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

That's what I was thinking it was. Next question, does he go to Pensacola next year and we hope his defense improves? I'm assuming Blandino will get a shot at being the full-time shortstop in Dayton next year.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am probably higher on Daal than most around here. I think he's a real player. He has some work to do, as does everyone that is in Low-A. He's got some tools to work with. He won't start next year in Pensacola. The question is more about will he return to Dayton or will he go to Daytona?

Todd Frazier at shortstop didn't bother me at all.

Carlton was by far the worst shortstop Dayton has seen in years. He needs work to learn the game. The Dayton team got better when he was replaced.

You could see the talent. He just needs to play a lot of a position switch.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Todd Frazier at shortstop didn't bother me at all.

Carlton was by far the worst shortstop Dayton has seen in years. He needs work to learn the game. The Dayton team got better when he was replaced.

You could see the talent. He just needs to play a lot of a position switch.
    The difference was that Todd Frazier had no chance at all to be a below-average defender at shortstop. Daal could be an above-average one.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The difference was that Todd Frazier had no chance at all to be a below-average defender at shortstop. Daal could be an above-average one.
    If daal's path from Dayton to the majors is as long or longer than frazier's then he has time to turn into a real shortstop, but he needs that time.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

I would bet $100 right now Carlton Daal never sniffs the majors.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I would bet $100 right now Carlton Daal never sniffs the majors.
    I'd bet that way as well on any player at Dayton or below, except the 1st rounders.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

12. Likes:

BillDoran (10-23-2014),dougdirt (10-23-2014),OGB (10-30-2014),RedlegJake (10-25-2014)

Turn Off Ads?