Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

Quote Originally Posted by JKam View Post
    Who really cares as long as the Reds farm system keeps producing major league players. The production of the Reds farm system in recent memory is unprecedented, at least for the Reds.
    The gaping hole in the reds 2 spot in the lineup and having your 2 hitter bat 4 and dustys propensity to not bat lefties back to back may care. I agree with the part as long as it keeps punching out major leaguers but maybe try to draft some right handed hitters high so the lineup doesn't get unbalanced down the road. Idk if such a player exists this year or would be available but drafting a right handed college player that has plus potential that could be major league ready in a season or two would be great.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm not wanting to hold the tread hostage and change topic so this will be the last ill mention it. The reds are doing an exceptional job in producing major league quality players. The organization just seems to have a priority of developing lefties or even trading for them or signing them. The last righty that the reds signed or acquired that going Into the season everyone knew was going to be an impact player was Greg Vaughn in 1999. You could count bichette the next year but he was declining. Gomes and ludwick were sign and pray they pan out. Kearns never reached his potential. Juan Ecarnacion was not an impact player. Frazier as of now is feast or famine with low plate discipline and Mez hadn't gotten enough time to know what he is. So it seems to me the reds put a premium on left handed bats even when it comes to acquiring big league players

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I don't think it is a developmental issue. It is a drafting issue. Most of those guys you listed were first round picks. First round picks will always pan out at a higher rate than guys taken later in the draft.

When was the last time the Reds used a first rounder on someone who bats exclusively from the right side? Mesoraco back in 2007. Before that? Brandon Larson in 1997. So from 1998-2012, the Reds used a grand total of ONE first round pick on a right-handed hitter. You get what you pay for, and the Reds pay for lefty bats far more often than pay for righties.
    Oh, how quickly have we forgotten about Drew Stubbs!
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    True. But he made himself highly forgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    No Stubbs is irrelevant as he was talking about "hitters"

7. Likes:

coachpipe (04-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    The gaping hole in the reds 2 spot in the lineup and having your 2 hitter bat 4 and dustys propensity to not bat lefties back to back may care. I agree with the part as long as it keeps punching out major leaguers but maybe try to draft some right handed hitters high so the lineup doesn't get unbalanced down the road. Idk if such a player exists this year or would be available but drafting a right handed college player that has plus potential that could be major league ready in a season or two would be great.
    A guy like that will almost be gone before the REDS pick. You're talking a top ten type. Plus potential and ready in 1-2 years? At the tailend of the first you may best be looking at a HS guy with great power/potential or a polished safer college pick with a lower ceiling. Anyone with quick riser AND great potential will be long gone. Not saying they get exactly that but it won't be predictable like a top ten pick.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 04-30-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    A guy like that will almost be gone before the REDS pick. You're talking a top ten type. Plus potential and ready in 1-2 years? At the tailend of the first you may best be looking at a HS guy with great power/potential or a polished safer college pick with a lower ceiling. Anyone with quick riser AND great potential will be long gone. Not saying they get exactly that but it won't be predictable like a top ten pick.
    Ill admit it was wishful thinking. But if one slips through the cracks I'd take him. I've loved the reds picks of hard throwing high school pitchers in the past few years in the first round.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 04-30-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Wanted to add more

10. Likes:

RedlegJake (04-30-2013)

Ill admit it was wishful thinking. But if one slips through the cracks I'd take him. I've loved the reds picks of hard throwing high school pitchers in the past few years in the first round.
    I think that strategy is paying off for the Reds...

Pitching is likely to be first pick again....They should have their pick of a really good college reliever who can rise fast or a high potential HS arm.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Pitching is likely to be first pick again....They should have their pick of a really good college reliever who can rise fast or a high potential HS arm.
    Never, ever, ever draft a reliever that early. You can get elite/very good relievers in the 3rd round.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Never, ever, ever draft a reliever that early. You can get elite/very good relievers in the 3rd round.
    I agree Doug...but lets see if the Reds do. I could see going for Jason Hirsch (great upside but TJ history) or Bobby Wahl (Leake like safe pick). It will be interesting with 2 top 40 picks lower down the board. A plus is I think this a deep draft in re upside potentials but with few "can't miss" players. Personally I like Jan Hernandez the PR 3B. No way I see a shot at Gray or even Manaea or the catcher Martinez.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKam View Post
    Who really cares as long as the Reds farm system keeps producing major league players. The production of the Reds farm system in recent memory is unprecedented, at least for the Reds.
    Not to knock the system, but right now it kind of seems like the pipeline to the majors has dried up other than Cingrani.

Corcino and Hamilton are looking more like '15 or '16 now.

Maybe Sharky Rogers if he continues to surprise. It's almost like the organization doesn't give him much credit. They'll list Stephenson, Travieso, Corcino, etc. as top prospects, but all this guy does is put up sub 3.00 e.r.a.'s and this year a sub-2.00 e.r.a. so far.

As for hitters, I was impressed with Lutz size and speed last night when he batted. He wasn't fat at all and to me, looked somewhat imposingly impressive. I hope he pans out in his development.

So far this season, I'm kind of disappointed in our minor league hitters in general. Winker seems to be taking off, which is good to see. And about the time I questioned Soto's tenure he starts hitting for average. I know, small sample size so far.

It's early, but I was expecting some guys to make significant jumps this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Not to knock the system, but right now it kind of seems like the pipeline to the majors has dried up other than Cingrani.

Corcino and Hamilton are looking more like '15 or '16 now.

Maybe Sharky Rogers if he continues to surprise. It's almost like the organization doesn't give him much credit. They'll list Stephenson, Travieso, Corcino, etc. as top prospects, but all this guy does is put up sub 3.00 e.r.a.'s and this year a sub-2.00 e.r.a. so far.

As for hitters, I was impressed with Lutz size and speed last night when he batted. He wasn't fat at all and to me, looked somewhat imposingly impressive. I hope he pans out in his development.

So far this season, I'm kind of disappointed in our minor league hitters in general. Winker seems to be taking off, which is good to see. And about the time I questioned Soto's tenure he starts hitting for average. I know, small sample size so far.

It's early, but I was expecting some guys to make significant jumps this season.
    I think the small sample size applies to corcino and Hamilton as well. I just read an article that said bhams batting average on balls in play in .250. I think it's early and he's a hot streak away from looking much better like soto recently has. Corcino was a bit rushed I think he'll catch up.

I'm liking the strides winker is making and ill agree that lutz looks imposing and looks speedy for a guy of his size.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Agreed. Unless they can grab someone who is can't miss, they should continue on the same path as in recent years and draft a hard throwing high school pitcher.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Agreed. Unless they can grab someone who is can't miss, they should continue on the same path as in recent years and draft a hard throwing high school pitcher.
    I don't care if a reliever is a "can't miss" guy. He is still a reliever. Pass on him in the first two rounds.

19. Likes:

RedlegJake (04-30-2013)

Turn Off Ads?