Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

I really like him as a Chris Heisey type that might actually stick as a starter by 25-26 years old. He's likely going to hit LHP and play good defense all around the outfield, so in my book he's got a lot of value.

2. Turn Off Ads?

So the Reds have a player somewhere between Heisey and Beltran? LOL. The kid will have his age 21 season next year. I am definitely going to wait before I call anything about YRod's ceiling. Just too much time left for him to grow/learn.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-07-2013),RiverRat13 (11-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    So the Reds have a player somewhere between Heisey and Beltran? LOL. The kid will have his age 21 season next year. I am definitely going to wait before I call anything about YRod's ceiling. Just too much time left for him to grow/learn.
    He's not been an easy one to tab, has he?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    His upside feels like Jose Guillen.
    Wasn't Jose Guillen good for 3-4 years? Sign me up.

7. Likes:

marcshoe (11-06-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

No- he's not close to the player Carlos Beltran is/was.

Guys....and gals.....I just dont see him ever breaking out - I think his ceiling is a good 4th outfielder. Somethings missing and I suspect it might be the age thing - idk, I wish he would make a jump and sort of dominate a league even for a month. His upside feels like Jose Guillen. I realize his age relative to league - but theres something missing.
    I don't think you know what the term ceiling is if you think he has a 4th outfielder ceiling.

Right now, he has a 4th outfielder FLOOR. Today, right now without a single improvement in his game, he could be a 4th outfielder. Defense in CF and the corners? Check. Good speed to work as a pinch runner? Check. Some pop off of the bench? Check.

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-06-2013),HokieRed (11-05-2013),mdccclxix (11-05-2013),TRF (11-06-2013)

I have always seen his ceiling as Roberto Clemente- the comparison came to me from a video I saw a few years ago of Y Rod hitting a ball to right. The swing reminded me of Clemente's but it could have just been that one hit. Now I highly doubt he would ever reach that ceiling and his arm will obviously be below Clemente's but that is not saying much. A ceiling is just what could happen if everything goes perfectly and by all accounts Y-Rod is not lacking in tools and potential.

I would say a better ceiling comp would be Reggie Sanders. YRod has the power and defense potential, and although he will probably strikeout more, there are similarities. I also thought of Ray Lankford, Jose Guillen and Raul Mondesi but all of those guys had better contact skills.

4 or 5th Outfielder is a floor for any guy that makes the big leagues.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

12. Likes:

camisadelgolf (12-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I would say a better ceiling comp would be Reggie Sanders. YRod has the power and defense potential, and although he will probably strikeout more, there are similarities. I also thought of Ray Lankford, Jose Guillen and Raul Mondesi but all of those guys had better contact skills.

4 or 5th Outfielder is a floor for any guy that makes the big leagues.
    Strikeout more than Reggie Sanders? Yikes.

I do think that's a decent comp though.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Would his ceiling be Carlos Beltran in his prime?
    Beltran was a comp that was kicked around for both Yorman and Gabriel Rosa when they joined the organization. I think both players have seen their stock fall a bit since the initial hype but Yorman certainly looks a lot better. Whether it's Beltran or Reggie Sanders, Yorman could be a welcome addition to this club in 2 years along with Ervin and Winker. Of course not all of them will pan out, but this is part of the reason why I don't think signing Choo to a 5 year $100MM plus contract right now would be the smartest thing to do.

I'd love to get an OF with a shorter window like Jose Bautista, but that's for another thread.
    Go BLUE!!!

15. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-07-2013)

No- he's not close to the player Carlos Beltran is/was.

Guys....and gals.....I just dont see him ever breaking out - I think his ceiling is a good 4th outfielder. Somethings missing and I suspect it might be the age thing - idk, I wish he would make a jump and sort of dominate a league even for a month. His upside feels like Jose Guillen. I realize his age relative to league - but theres something missing.
    I don't think you understand the concept of ceiling
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Well I watched the game on MLB channel recently, the game Alex Meyer worked into the 7th and had 7 K's. Yorman looked extremely overmatched. I hope he continues working on pitch recognition and discipline because he had neither in that game. Brutal!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Saw Yorman play every home game at Pensacola. His natural ability and upside potential is absolutely sick in my opinion. At the same time he is absolutey frustrating to watch. Really hard to tell if he is dogging it or just needs more work at times. For instance, there was a play last year where he let an easy pop fly bounce in front of him and then past him. He then recovers the ball at the warning track and throws and absolute laser to third to nail the runner. Another example, sometimes his first two at bats he shows stunning power to all fields and runs like the wind. Later in same game he is giving up at bats like he doesn't care. My personal opinion is that when he connects with the right mentor/coach we have a slam dunk solid every day major leaguer, the question is when?

19. Likes:

mace (12-04-2013),REDREAD (12-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bluewahoo View Post
    Saw Yorman play every home game at Pensacola. His natural ability and upside potential is absolutely sick in my opinion. At the same time he is absolutey frustrating to watch. Really hard to tell if he is dogging it or just needs more work at times. For instance, there was a play last year where he let an easy pop fly bounce in front of him and then past him. He then recovers the ball at the warning track and throws and absolute laser to third to nail the runner. Another example, sometimes his first two at bats he shows stunning power to all fields and runs like the wind. Later in same game he is giving up at bats like he doesn't care. My personal opinion is that when he connects with the right mentor/coach we have a slam dunk solid every day major leaguer, the question is when?
    21?

thorn

21 what? Hope you not trying to make excuses for his age being the reason. He has been around pro ball long enough to know better, regardless of age,

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    21 what? Hope you not trying to make excuses for his age being the reason. He has been around pro ball long enough to know better, regardless of age,

Except that since the beginning maturity as never quite worked that way. Not in everyday life, and especially not in pro sports.

But just like in any walk of life you can find 18 year olds with the maturity of someone in their forties, or vice versa, find someone in their forties acting like a teenager.

On Yorman alone, the culture shock, millions at sixteen, and personal problems he dealt with, I would think some leeway may be necessary. Besides, I have read that he has already made strides in this department from where he once was.

Turn Off Ads?