Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

I believe thorn and pepperjack are both correct which sort of goes back to my frustration. He may be one of those types of people that simply are not outwardly emotional. He is the only player of the wahoos that I have seen to virtually never show any passion or frustration, even when making the last out with bases loaded etc. Its almost like watching some guy punching the clock at a factory or something. It would appear that he could care less about winning any particular game. The flipside of the coin would be a Tucker Barnhart. He is full speed on every play and seems to take every game as if it is the 7th game of the world series. I am a fan of Yorman and a reds homer and would not want to denigrate in any way. But one last point that I never see mentioned. Regarding playing the field, at this point in time, Yorman is absolutely horrendous. Its brutal. Doesn't show up in the box score but he lets almost every ball bounce in front of him, often they roll past him, he misses cutoff men etc. He seems confused. With all that said, I believe he will indeed be an every day big leaguer, just mind boggling talent there. He'll make a play every now and then that just blows your mind, he has a smooth glide that is truly fun to watch.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (12-05-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Keith Law says Yorman could be a top 25 prospect in all of baseball by this time next year:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...-team-2014-mlb

5. Likes:

cincyinco (03-02-2014),OnBaseMachine (03-01-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Keith Law says Yorman could be a top 25 prospect in all of baseball by this time next year:

Law is killing me right now.

How could you be so high on Stephens, and think Yorman might be a top 25 guy, when you barely have Stephenson there?

I do enjoy that Yorman has been impressing people again though. It takes alot to impress people after they write you off.

"He's such a young guy. He really had a significant, breakout year for him," Price said on Friday. "At 21, we're really encouraged by what we're beginning to see as far as his athleticism, the power potential. He's a very good defensive outfielder. We want to integrate him into center. I think he's more comfortable on the corners in right and left.

"But he's shown us a lot -- his instincts, his running and throwing ability, a much better approach at the plate, more disciplined. He's definitely one of the guys we're excited about as far as his development and his chance to help us in the next year or two."
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_cin&c_id=cin

8. Likes:

REDREAD (03-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post

Where are you seeing that in this story?

This is all I could find on Rodriguez in that piece:

"Yorman Rodriguez, signed for $2.5 million way back in 2008, has the highest ceiling of any position player in the system right now, and made big strides in his plate discipline in 2013."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cin/...medium=twitter

"He is the type of player we were hoping he would evolve into," Reds manager Bryan Price said. "We think he can potentially be a dynamic player. He plays hard and does everything he needs to do. He moves in the outfield and has good instincts."
    "I remember signing. It was Aug. 15, 2008, a day I'll never forget, and look where I am now," Rodriguez said in Spanish. "For me, this is the best feeling to be around these guys and sharing this experience. I'm here to work hard, and one day I can be in the Major Leagues with them."
    "Overall, my last year went great," Rodriguez said. "It's going fine now here, too. It could go better, but I'm working to make it better. I'm learning every day and that's most important right now."

The Reds believe Rodriguez projects as a center fielder and want him to see action at the position this spring and in the Minor Leagues this season. He played 56 games in center field and 66 in right field last year.

"I know I can play all three outfield spots. I started playing center field as a kid," Rodriguez said. "It was my first position ever and I know. They moved me to right field and now I'm getting back to center, something that I like, but I'll do whatever they want me to do."

haha mlb.com has Y-Rod ranked 16th best Reds prosect behind the likes of LaMarre and Travieso. Wowzer.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    haha mlb.com has Y-Rod ranked 16th best Reds prosect behind the likes of LaMarre and Travieso. Wowzer.
    That list is for 2013, not this year.

It'd be great to see him play himself to Louisville this year. At what point would he become eligible for FA? I think minor league FA is 7 years on a roster (which would be after 2015 for him), but don't know how that works in relation to the 40 man.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    That list is for 2013, not this year.
    It actually is the list for this year. And it is easily the worst list you could possibly look at.

Sean Buckley is ranked 10th. Sean Buckley played a week in the 2013 season. In the 2012 season he hit .244 in Low-A.

In my personal rankings he didn't make the Top 40 (I only rank 40 guys in my book then list another 60 in alphabetical order).

In the 2014 Baseball America rankings Buckley didn't make their top 31 and was ranked behind 2 other unranked first basemen on their depth chart (neither of which actually play first base currently).

In the 2014 rankings by John Sickels he lists 35 prospects. Buckley wasn't among them.

Baseball Prospectus list goes 10 deep, but also mentions 6 other guys and Buckley isn't one of them.

To be blunt, the list is just bad. Really, really bad.

15. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-18-2014),M2 (03-12-2014),OnBaseMachine (03-12-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    It'd be great to see him play himself to Louisville this year. At what point would he become eligible for FA? I think minor league FA is 7 years on a roster (which would be after 2015 for him), but don't know how that works in relation to the 40 man.
    If you are on the 40-man, then you don't get that minor league free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It actually is the list for this year. And it is easily the worst list you could possibly look at.

Sean Buckley is ranked 10th. Sean Buckley played a week in the 2013 season. In the 2012 season he hit .244 in Low-A.

In my personal rankings he didn't make the Top 40 (I only rank 40 guys in my book then list another 60 in alphabetical order).

In the 2014 Baseball America rankings Buckley didn't make their top 31 and was ranked behind 2 other unranked first basemen on their depth chart (neither of which actually play first base currently).

In the 2014 rankings by John Sickels he lists 35 prospects. Buckley wasn't among them.

Baseball Prospectus list goes 10 deep, but also mentions 6 other guys and Buckley isn't one of them.

To be blunt, the list is just bad. Really, really bad.
    MLB.com isn't releasing the top 20 for the Reds (2014 edition) until March 31st. The list you're referring to is from last year.

... Unless I'm missing something...

And where did I say it was a good list? I know very well that it is laughable.

He has to be on the opening day roster by 2016, but they can hide him about 1/2 of the year in AAA thru injury reassignments. If he isn't the starter that year look for that to happen. Right now if he continues on his recent upward tick he'll be in LF by 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    MLB.com isn't releasing the top 20 for the Reds (2014 edition) until March 31st. The list you're referring to is from last year.

... Unless I'm missing something...

And where did I say it was a good list? I know very well that it is laughable.
    At worst, that list is from December. The Reds list has David Holmberg on it. HE wasn't in the organization until December 3rd. The list was made after the 2013 season.

I never said that you said it was a good list. I was simply pointing out just how terrible of a list it is and that anyone reading this thread shouldn't bother looking at it.

It is strange that they seem to be doing another set of lists. I wonder if this is because they have brought on Jim Callis?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    At worst, that list is from December. The Reds list has David Holmberg on it. HE wasn't in the organization until December 3rd. The list was made after the 2013 season.
    Ah, now I see why you're confused.

No, that list is still from spring training in 2013. However, whenever a new prospect enters the organization, they just kind of put him somewhere without changing anything else (ie: Holmberg/Ervin). It's still a year old though.

... Which kind of makes the list even more laughable if you think about it...

Turn Off Ads?