Thread: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    The YAWN of 'Dormant' Rodriguez
    Just brilliant.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Find me one reasonable person who views him as the #2 prospect here in the present and I will tip my hat to you and concede the point.
    I was referring to our very own Benihana, who is quite reasonable. However, I erred in that Benihana had Yorman #3, not #2:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...y-2014-Edition

This is from exactly a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    I was referring to our very own Benihana, who is quite reasonable. However, I erred in that Benihana had Yorman #3, not #2:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...y-2014-Edition

This is from exactly a month ago.
    At the time Yorman was playing very well

Also - benihana does not = people, he is a unique individual, like a snowflake.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-06-2014),Cursh14 (06-12-2014),Edd Roush (06-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I see someone who could be able to help the big league team in two years. Heck, he could help them today in a limited role. He can run. He can play all three outfield spots. He has a bit of pop to work with. That's a useful bench player right now. Give him another year and a half in the minor leagues and get him to his 23rd birthday and let's see where we are. It's not really like WMP, who had to stick in the Majors at age 21, which hardly anyone is ready to do. Yorman will be 23 by the time he has to stick. Still young, but a lot more time to work with.
    I don't see Yorman spending an inning in center in the majors, but other than that I'll accept your opinion about the chance for development as input. Other than that, you've pretty much described Bernadina with a tweak of power. That's not somebody you keep on the 40 man roster over the summer. We'll see what he brings in a couple of years.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    At the time Yorman was playing very well

It's all that Wolverine in him. It can do crazy things to your mind.

8. Likes:

Chuckie (06-04-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I don't see Yorman spending an inning in center in the majors, but other than that I'll accept your opinion about the chance for development as input. Other than that, you've pretty much described Bernadina with a tweak of power. That's not somebody you keep on the 40 man roster over the summer. We'll see what he brings in a couple of years.
    It's somebody you keep on the 40-man roster when there is a chance he improves. Bernadina has a small, small chance to improve. A 21-24 year old has a far greater chance to improve.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

You heard it here first folks, RedTeamGo! thinks benihana is beautiful and unique.

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-04-2014),Old school 1983 (06-04-2014),RedTeamGo! (06-04-2014),SirFelixCat (06-05-2014)

[QUO comeback TE=Chuckie;3099934]Yes, but he struck out there, too.

OPS down to .596. Ouch.[/QUOTE]

Haha Nice.

12. Likes:

Chuckie (06-04-2014)

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Yorman is still just 21. If he would have gone to an American college, he would just be getting drafted this year. Where would he rank?

14. Likes:

joshua (06-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Yorman is still just 21. If he would have gone to an American college, he would just be getting drafted this year. Where would he rank?
    Jay Bruce was a #1 draft pick corner outfielder who hit so well at high A ball that he only spent 16 Games at AA before going to AAA as a 20 year old.
    Kearns spent 60 games at AA at 21 and he hit.
    Both of those were High School players who were in the majors at 21-21. That's where Yorman could/should be if he were a real phenom.

Neftali Soto was a HS #3 who put up a 900 OPS as a 22 year old in 100 AA games. Yorman has never put up a 900 OPS.

Drew Stubs spent 100 games at AA at 23 and hit quite a bit better than Yorman.
    Todd Frazier was kind of considered stalled at AA. He spent 100+ games there as a 23 year old and put up an OPS 100 points higher than Yorman's.
    Both Frazier and Stubbs were college #1's.

I think it's quite possible that Yorman is going to become a major league talent, but I'm less bullish than Doug for two reasons.

First Yorman has hit well "for his age," but he hasn't really hit well since his age 17 season. Sooner or later, you just have to put up some numbers.

Second is the matter of options. I have not seen him play since he left Dayton, but just looking at the line I see a player that still has a lot of work to do. While that wouldn't normally concern me, most 21 year olds are not major league ready, I DO get concerned that he's already burning through options. Basically he's going to have to be in the big leagues at 23 and not be able to be sent down. Now maybe he puts it all together real quick like and he's a major league corner outfielder at that point, but then more likely he'll need more polish and that's an issue. You've got a kid a the edge of the bench that you want to give development time to but you need to win games. What do you do with him?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

16. Likes:

Chuckie (06-06-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (06-06-2014)

Jay Bruce was a #1 draft pick corner outfielder who hit so well at high A ball that he only spent 16 Games at AA before going to AAA as a 20 year old.
    Kearns spent 60 games at AA at 21 and he hit.
    Both of those were High School players who were in the majors at 21-21. That's where Yorman could/should be if he were a real phenom.
    Very few guys actually make it to the majors by age 21. Guys like Trout, Bruce, Harper, Heyward, Stanton are extremely rare. George Springer, a "phenom", just made it to the majors at 24. Rodriguez OPS'd .715 as a 20 year old in AA last year. That's a college sophomore. He was putting up great numbers this year before he got injured (.803 OPS). Since the injury, his OPS is about .380, most likely the worst player in AA. Regardless of your opinion of Yorman, he is much better than that, so it would be safe to assume that the injury is still bothering him significantly. Even if he had been just a bad hitter, with a .600 OPS after April, he would still be around .700 for the year, which while not good, is not terrible either. Instead, people are making judgments on a player's future prospects based on his performance while dealing with injury.

It doesn't feel like Yorman has been rushed through the system because he has been with the Reds forever. But he really has been because he has been one of the youngest players at every level so far while still putting up good stats. If Yorman gets to the Reds by age 23 in two seasons, that would still be great.

I do apologize. The clock is not at 23. It's at 24. They have four option years. One was used last year at 20. One is used this year at 21. He'll have a third and fourth at 22 and 23. At 24 he will no longer be able to be in the minors w/out another team claiming him. I just don't see enough progression for Yorman to be a useful part of a good major league team at 24.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Instead, people are making judgments on a player's future prospects based on his performance while dealing with injury.
    just for clarification, I am not one of these people. My judgment of Yorman was formed back when he was doggin it at 5/3 in Dayton and I have seen only a little to change my mind since then. Lots of fun in batting practice, not so much during the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    It doesn't feel like Yorman has been rushed through the system because he has been with the Reds forever. But he really has been because he has been one of the youngest players at every level so far while still putting up good stats. If Yorman gets to the Reds by age 23 in two seasons, that would still be great.
    We are totally in agreement that Yorman HAS been rushed through the system. I know young for your league colors your value, but sooner or later a hitter has to hit. Yorman is not going to get to the majors because of speed, defense and his arm. (And I do agree that none of those things are problems.) He's a corner outfielder who has put up an OPS of 800 once in five years. If it wasn't for his age we wouldn't be talking about him as a prospect.

If Yorman is NOT with the reds full time by the time he is 24, then he will no longer be the property of the team. His option years will be done and he will be a free agent not a river bat. At that time some team will take him.

So the choices are
    #1 He develops to the point where he is a real live starting corner outfielder on a decent team. (It could happen, I don't hold out much hope)
    #2 The reds are bad enough to play him anyway (I hope not)
    #3 The reds are good enough that they can stash him at the end of the bench and he learns via osmosis instead of via playing time.
    #4 He becomes the property of another team.

I'm sounding shrill about this and I apologize for that. I honestly hope the best for Yorman and of course for the home town nine. Yorman's early promotions are a function of the age he was signed at and not his fault. I fully believe that Yorman has the ability to eventually be a good major league player. I'm concerned that because of the way options are run that by the time Yorman really develops he will be in another uniform.

I do apologize. The clock is not at 23. It's at 24. They have four option years. One was used last year at 20. One is used this year at 21. He'll have a third and fourth at 22 and 23. At 24 he will no longer be able to be in the minors w/out another team claiming him. I just don't see enough progression for Yorman to be a useful part of a good major league team at 24.

just for clarification, I am not one of these people. My judgment of Yorman was formed back when he was doggin it at 5/3 in Dayton and I have seen only a little to change my mind since then. Lots of fun in batting practice, not so much during the game.

We are totally in agreement that Yorman HAS been rushed through the system. I know young for your league colors your value, but sooner or later a hitter has to hit. Yorman is not going to get to the majors because of speed, defense and his arm. (And I do agree that none of those things are problems.) He's a corner outfielder who has put up an OPS of 800 once in five years. If it wasn't for his age we wouldn't be talking about him as a prospect.

If Yorman is NOT with the reds full time by the time he is 24, then he will no longer be the property of the team. His option years will be done and he will be a free agent not a river bat. At that time some team will take him.

So the choices are
    #1 He develops to the point where he is a real live starting corner outfielder on a decent team. (It could happen, I don't hold out much hope)
    #2 The reds are bad enough to play him anyway (I hope not)
    #3 The reds are good enough that they can stash him at the end of the bench and he learns via osmosis instead of via playing time.
    #4 He becomes the property of another team.

I'm sounding shrill about this and I apologize for that. I honestly hope the best for Yorman and of course for the home town nine. Yorman's early promotions are a function of the age he was signed at and not his fault. I fully believe that Yorman has the ability to eventually be a good major league player. I'm concerned that because of the way options are run that by the time Yorman really develops he will be in another uniform.

You make good points, but don't let the Encarnacion situation overtly influence the vision of the future. It's just as likely that scenario 5 is that after further development in AA and AAA he plays a support role in 2016 for the Reds at age 23, sticks with the team from there on out, signs a team friendly deal at 25 that takes him through age 30 or whatever. EE was an AL player waiting to happen, had attitude problems, and hated Cincinnati from what I can remember. Yorman can very much be in Cincinnati for his best years, if they come.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Some of you guys are way too critical of an All Star.

Retweeted by ctrent
    Bill Vilona @billvilonaPNJ · 2m
    Blue Wahoos outfielder Yorman Rodriguez added to Southern League All-Star game next Tuesday in Chattanooga. Now 6 Wahoos in game.#pnjsports
    Last edited by PepperJack; 06-10-2014 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    Some of you guys are way too critical of an All Star.
    I saw this today, and looked at his numbers. Can anyone explain how they choose All-Stars in the Southern League?
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I saw this today, and looked at his numbers. Can anyone explain how they choose All-Stars in the Southern League?
    Managers vote. For the replacement guys, I don't know how that works.

Turn Off Ads?