Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

I wanted to bump this thread to show how Yorman has continued his hot start into Bakersfield. In his first 85 PA, Yorman is hitting .267/.353/.493. That is a .227 ISO. Furthermore, his BABIP is only .327 which seems to be around where he is likely to end up this season. I am very encouraged by his 8.2% BB rate, although his 25.9% K rate still needs to come down a little.

I hope doug has always been right and this kid just needed to mature a little bit before he takes off. I hope he keeps it up in Bakersfield, so that we can debate a mid-season call up to Pensacola before hopefully counting him in our discussions of future LFs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'd love to see him keep it up. For whatever reason it seems that the reds have issues developing plus right handed bats in the past 5 years or so.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Just out of curiosity, have we written off Juan Duran? I haven't heard anything about this kid since he hit his growth spurt.

His last 10 games he been playing very well... 3 HR's... .327 avg and a 1.067 ops..

The kid could make his AA appearance at age 20... if he makes his debut this year he would be the youngest player in the league..

http://www.baseballamerica.com/major...ngest-players/
    Last edited by bellhead; 04-25-2013 at 04:28 PM.

You might be right about a promotion to AA for Yorman. But I would like to see him experience a period of sustained success. I'd keep him Bakersfield for the entire season.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I'd love to see him keep it up. For whatever reason it seems that the reds have issues developing plus right handed bats in the past 5 years or so.
    Frazier and Mesoraco?
    Go BLUE!!!

8. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (04-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    You might be right about a promotion to AA for Yorman. But I would like to see him experience a period of sustained success. I'd keep him Bakersfield for the entire season.
    I'd give him a month at AA if he has success all year at single A.... Then ideally he has 2 to 3 years at the upper minors to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Frazier and Mesoraco?
    Yeah. Those are the only two. The lefties include votto Bruce Alonso grandal (switch) and even in the minors lutz and winker are the top hitting prospects and Bham is a switch hitter. So it always seems that the reds are always bigger on developing left handed bats that right handed bats and it seems the left handed bats are if higher quality not to take anything away from Mez and Frazier.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Just out of curiosity, have we written off Juan Duran? I haven't heard anything about this kid since he hit his growth spurt.
    I haven't written off Juan Duran, but he struggles with Ks way more than Yorman and hasn't shown power since 2011. He will continue to get chances due to his signing bonus, but he doesn't have nearly the same promise as Yorman.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    One factor that needs to be considering when discussing Yorman's development is that he is already on the 40 man roster. While I realize that Yorman's maturity and perhaps lack of confidence has hindered him in the past, the Reds can't just handle him with his kid gloves his whole career. At some point, you have to have the guys on your 40 man roster be able to help the big club out. I like the adage of challenge your hitters and coddle your pitchers. If Yorman has an OPS over .800 at Bakersfield going into the All Star Break, let's bring him up to Pensacola and see what he can do there.

13. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (04-26-2013)

Yeah. Those are the only two. The lefties include votto Bruce Alonso grandal (switch) and even in the minors lutz and winker are the top hitting prospects and Bham is a switch hitter. So it always seems that the reds are always bigger on developing left handed bats that right handed bats and it seems the left handed bats are if higher quality not to take anything away from Mez and Frazier.
    Developing two solid bats from one side of the plate within the last couple years is very impressive. I think that the Reds developmental team has done a great job over the last few years. Let's hope Yorman adds to their resume.

I don't think it is a developmental issue. It is a drafting issue. Most of those guys you listed were first round picks. First round picks will always pan out at a higher rate than guys taken later in the draft.

When was the last time the Reds used a first rounder on someone who bats exclusively from the right side? Mesoraco back in 2007. Before that? Brandon Larson in 1997. So from 1998-2012, the Reds used a grand total of ONE first round pick on a right-handed hitter. You get what you pay for, and the Reds pay for lefty bats far more often than pay for righties.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 04-26-2013 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    One factor that needs to be considering when discussing Yorman's development is that he is already on the 40 man roster. While I realize that Yorman's maturity and perhaps lack of confidence has hindered him in the past, the Reds can't just handle him with his kid gloves his whole career. At some point, you have to have the guys on your 40 man roster be able to help the big club out. I like the adage of challenge your hitters and coddle your pitchers. If Yorman has an OPS over .800 at Bakersfield going into the All Star Break, let's bring him up to Pensacola and see what he can do there.
    Can't we rework his contract to keep him in the minors?

I actually think Yorman will blossom at higher levels. I view him as a Hanley Ramirez type. Ramirez was hyped as a prospect who, IIRC, was always very young for his level and never put up great numbers (other than that 02 short season) until he reached the bigs at which point he exploded.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=ramire001han

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Developing two solid bats from one side of the plate within the last couple years is very impressive. I think that the Reds developmental team has done a great job over the last few years. Let's hope Yorman adds to their resume.
    I wasn't trying to knock the reds developmental team at all. They are doing an excellent job. It just seems to me that the reds draft lefties in earlier rounds and try to develop left handed hitters more in general. It may come down to selecting the best bat available in the draft and they happen to be a lefty.

Who really cares as long as the Reds farm system keeps producing major league players. The production of the Reds farm system in recent memory is unprecedented, at least for the Reds.

Turn Off Ads?