Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't care if a reliever is a "can't miss" guy. He is still a reliever. Pass on him in the first two rounds.
    So let's assume Chapman was in the draft. 3rd round?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't care if a reliever is a "can't miss" guy. He is still a reliever. Pass on him in the first two rounds.
    But Ryan Wagner worked out so well....
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Problem with your premise is knowledge of what the guy is like at the major league level. There's a lack of certainty involved with every prospect. So the answer to your question would be less about starter vs. reliever and more about certainty of performance in the majors.

In terms of Chapman had he been draft eligible at the time he was signed, the team that drafted him almost assuredly would have drafted him as a starter. I guarantee you the Reds signed him hoping he would be a starter and recognizing that he would be filthy a reliever if it came to that. That the organization now views him differently is another matter, complicated by considerations of the composition of the current 25 man roster and the special emphasis on putting the best roster on the field in 2013.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

nm wrong thread.

I agree with you. I should have clarified. A can't miss position player.

Anyway does anyone think yorman could get a September call up if he continues to improve?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Problem with your premise is knowledge of what the guy is like at the major league level. There's a lack of certainty involved with every prospect. So the answer to your question would be less about starter vs. reliever and more about certainty of performance in the majors.

In terms of Chapman had he been draft eligible at the time he was signed, the team that drafted him almost assuredly would have drafted him as a starter. I guarantee you the Reds signed him hoping he would be a starter and recognizing that he would be filthy a reliever if it came to that. That the organization now views him differently is another matter, complicated by considerations of the composition of the current 25 man roster and the special emphasis on putting the best roster on the field in 2013.
    I realize that. I just wonder if a "closer" that had the ability of Chapman would change the "no earlier than 3rd round".
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

That guy wouldn't last that long, because someone would take him in the first round, but I would still advise against it if there were for sure reasons to believe that he was absolutely, without question, only a reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Anyway does anyone think yorman could get a September call up if he continues to improve?
    Possible, but unlikely. I think he will likely spend most of, if not all of his season in Bakersfield, even if he does continue to perform well. He hasn't seen any kind of sustained success since he was in Billings and it would probably be beneficial for him to do that. If he gets to Pensacola before August, I would say the chances increase a little bit for a "give him a few at bats" call up.

Possible, but unlikely. I think he will likely spend most of, if not all of his season in Bakersfield, even if he does continue to perform well. He hasn't seen any kind of sustained success since he was in Billings and it would probably be beneficial for him to do that. If he gets to Pensacola before August, I would say the chances increase a little bit for a "give him a few at bats" call up.
    Thanks for the input. I thought it may be a possibility because he is on the 40 man.

Assuming at draft time that scouts determined he would never be able to start..
    Heck yea, I would spend a first round pick on him, unless maybe I had a top 5 pick (depends on who else was available)

A guy with Chapman's ability has a very high probablity of making an impact at the big league level.

Let's look at it this way.. suppose you could get a Chapman (reliever only) in the first round of the draft every year.. Think of the great trade bait you'd have.
    Relievers are highly valued commodities on the trade market now.

Jed Lowrie, Victorino, and other pretty good players were traded for relievers of lesser quality than Chapman.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Yorman's line this year: .303/.387/.667/1.053 (9:20 bb:k)

(against LHP)

Is a platoon role actually his floor? If so, that's an acceptable floor over "complete bust".

FWIW, Juan Duran also having a good year vs LHP:

.313/.441/.417/.857 11:16 bb:k

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=550298
    June stats for Yorman:

.333/ .368/.630/.998

He was a surprise in ST, good in April, in a "bad stretch" in May, and is having a great June.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=550298
    June stats for Yorman:

.333/ .368/.630/.998

He was a surprise in ST, good in April, in a "bad stretch" in May, and is having a great June.
    He also has 3 walks and 17 strikeouts in 58 trips to the plate. When he makes contact, he is making it count (.297 IsoP).

Turn Off Ads?