Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51

Thread: "Win Now"

  1. #1
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,176

    "Win Now"

    Walt has now officially said that the Reds are in a "Win Now" situation.

    Should they trade Hamilton for major league ready help?

    Discuss.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  2. Likes:

    redsfandan (03-22-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #2
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,295

    Re: "Win Now"

    I want to see them really commit to it. If they send Hoover to AAA because he has options, then they are liars.

  5. Likes:

    AtomicDumpling (03-22-2013), LexRedsFan (03-23-2013), OnBaseMachine (03-22-2013), redsfandan (03-22-2013), texasdave (03-22-2013), thatcoolguy_22 (03-22-2013)

  6. #3
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: "Win Now"

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Walt has now officially said that the Reds are in a "Win Now" situation.

    Should they trade Hamilton for major league ready help?

    Discuss.
    I think there is a difference between being in a "win now" situation and saying this:

    “We’re a team built to win,” Jocketty said. “In our opinion, this gives us the best chance to win now.”

  7. Likes:

    RedsBrick (03-23-2013)

  8. #4
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,176

    Re: "Win Now"

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I think there is a difference between being in a "win now" situation and saying this:

    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  9. #5
    It's showtime! RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    7,985
    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I think there is a difference between being in a "win now" situation and saying this:
    Surely that's splitting hairs though, right? Actually -- what does "win now" even mean? A relative term.
    Last edited by RedEye; 03-22-2013 at 05:24 PM.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  10. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,639

    Re: "Win Now"

    Cincy may be in a win now situation, but it extends to more than one year. Hamilton is part of the win now situation as he should be playing CF next year.

    The window is not closing on Cincy at the end of this year, so it would be foolish to make moves based entirely on that assumption.

  11. Likes:

    BurgervilleBuck (03-22-2013), RedsBrick (03-23-2013)

  12. #7
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,176

    Re: "Win Now"

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Cincy may be in a win now situation, but it extends to more than one year. Hamilton is part of the win now situation as he should be playing CF next year.

    The window is not closing on Cincy at the end of this year, so it would be foolish to make moves based entirely on that assumption.

    One of the arguments of not using Chapman in the rotation is the learning curve. He's great in the bullpen, so why take the the time to develop him in the rotation during the "win now" window?

    Can't you use the same argument for Hamilton? There's going to be a major league learning curve. I would argue that his best asset right now is his trade value.

    A package including Hamilton could fetch a really nice rotation arm, someone under team control for a few more years. With Bronson probably goners after this season, there needs to be some major league ready arms available.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  13. Likes:

    redsfandan (03-22-2013)

  14. #8
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,564

    Re: "Win Now"

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Surely that's splitting hairs though, right? Actually -- what does "win now" even mean?
    That going 'all in' is more important than being a contender in 2 years or 5 years.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  15. #9
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,564

    Re: "Win Now"

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    One of the arguments of not using Chapman in the rotation is the learning curve. He's great in the bullpen, so why take the the time to develop him in the rotation during the "win now" window?

    Can't you use the same argument for Hamilton? There's going to be a major league learning curve. I would argue that his best asset right now is his trade value.

    A package including Hamilton could fetch a really nice rotation arm, someone under team control for a few more years. With Bronson probably goners after this season, there needs to be some major league ready arms available.
    The kid has no power and whether he'll have a good obp in the majors is a big question mark. BUT, there's always a chance that another team might overpay for a him. So, if they're really in win now mode why not see what he'd fetch in a trade. It's a safer bet that an upgrade to the #5 starter would improve the Reds chances to win more than Billy would.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  16. #10
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,176

    Re: "Win Now"

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    The kid has no power and whether he'll have a good obp in the majors is a big question mark. BUT, there's always a chance that another team might overpay for a him. So, if they're really in win now mode why not see what he'd fetch in a trade. It's a safer bet that an upgrade to the #5 starter would improve the Reds chances to win more than Billy would.

    In the right park, Hamilton would be a triples machine.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  17. #11
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,423

    Re: "Win Now"

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    In the right park, Hamilton would be a triples machine.
    Wily Taveras.


    just sayin'
    Suck it up cupcake.

  18. Likes:

    redsfandan (03-22-2013)

  19. #12
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,176

    Re: "Win Now"

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Wily Taveras.


    just sayin'
    that's my fear.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  20. #13
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,423

    Re: "Win Now"

    but...

    here is the difference. The Reds don't need Hamilton this year. So you can trade his "potential" now, or you can develop him for a year or even two. Heisey is likely the OD starter in CF now that Choo is hurt. And he'll be a Red next year too. so there is a bridge.

    I'm more in doug's boat. If Hoover is sent down, then the FO is lying to the fanbase about built to win. Hoover is a K machine. That was a very good trade on Jocketty's part.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  21. #14
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,176

    Re: "Win Now"

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'm more in doug's boat. If Hoover is sent down, then the FO is lying to the fanbase about built to win. Hoover is a K machine. That was a very good trade on Jocketty's part.
    The guy they traded for him was a K machine too.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  22. Likes:

    bigredmechanism (03-22-2013), JB12 (03-23-2013), RedEye (03-22-2013)

  23. #15
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,423

    Re: "Win Now"

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    The guy they traded for him was a K machine too.
    That K machine is hitting .352 with 5 bombs this spring, and while he'll platoon at 3B this year, he'll get more innings than Johnson. I see 30 HR's and an .830+ OPS from him this year.
    Suck it up cupcake.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25