Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Win Now"

Re: "Win Now"

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    We could trade him for himself.
    He can pitch?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Walt has now officially said that the Reds are in a "Win Now" situation.

Should they trade Hamilton for major league ready help?

Discuss.
    I don't know about trades etc, but they'd better be in a "Win Now" mode.

If they aren't all in now, then I'm not sure what they'd be waiting for....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

4. Likes:

757690 (03-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    56 PA, 15K, 2BB. Same dude he has always been. Lots of strikeouts, no walks, swings at everything, better not make a mistake over the plate against him.
    Couple of other Francisco stats from this spring that perhaps might bear mention:

1.042 OPS. .352 BA. .375 OBP. 54 at bats. 1 error.

Won the lefty platoon spot on the Braves at 3B this year.

The Atlanta Braves, majors, not minors. Generally a fairly smart organization.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-22-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I don't know about trades etc, but they'd better be in a "Win Now" mode.

If they aren't all in now, then I'm not sure what they'd be waiting for....
    As Puffy Pig said, trying to win now and win in the future aren't mutually exclusive.
    "I donít know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody".
    óBill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    As Puffy Pig said, trying to win now and win in the future aren't mutually exclusive.
    The Reds are close enough they need to maximize their chances of winning a world series. Now and later doesn't have to be mutually exclusive but they'd better prioritize one flavor over the other or they may risk leaving a bad taste in their mouths.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

8. Likes:

757690 (03-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Couple of other Francisco stats from this spring that perhaps might bear mention:

Those are nice and all, but they are small sample size wonders. The things he has always done, look exactly the same. Power. Strikeouts. No walks. The 1 error is improved. But his offense is exactly what everyone expects. Well, outside of the part where his BABIP is .412 in a small sample size.

I don't get what folks dislike about Hamilton. We have needed a true lead off hitter for YEARS and he has he potential to be the best one the MLs has seen since the 80s.

I know it is a risk, but it is a risk with a HUGE reward. The idea of running out Hamilton and choo in front of votto and Bruce is out and out scary.

11. Likes:

foxfire123 (03-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    I don't get what folks dislike about Hamilton. We have needed a true lead off hitter for YEARS and he has he potential to be the best one the MLs has seen since the 80s.

I know it is a risk, but it is a risk with a HUGE reward. The idea of running out Hamilton and choo in front of votto and Bruce is out and out scary.
    What folks dislike, I guess, is that guys with absolutely no home run power to speak of are risky. Toss in that he is also a guy who struck out 20% of the time he stepped to the plate in AA and he is a guy without power who you can also get to swing and miss.

Here is the list of guys since 2000 with 2000 PA's, a PA/HR rate of 100 or worse (Hamilton is at 244.4 in his minor league career) and a 15% or worse K%:

Michael Bourn
    Ramon Vazquez
    Rajai Davis
    Nick Punto
    Nyjer Morgan
    Willie Bloomquist
    Chone Figgins
    Mark McLemore
    Ryan Freel
    Abraham Nunez
    Brendan Ryan

There are a few guys in there who are good players. There are also several names I couldn't put with a face if I had a 50/50 shot.

Here is the list of guys with a 15% or worse K% and a 200 or worse PA/HR since 2000:

Nick Punto

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post

Hamilton, Choo, Votto, does sound nice. Granted, right now, that probably won't happen cuz Choo is still only signed for this year.

I don't think anyone said they dislike Hamilton. But, he's not going to help much this year and there are concerns whether he really will be able to help us long term and how much. Given that, why not use him to see if you can improve a position this year and in the future with someone more proven?
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Those are nice and all, but they are small sample size wonders. The things he has always done, look exactly the same. Power. Strikeouts. No walks. The 1 error is improved. But his offense is exactly what everyone expects. Well, outside of the part where his BABIP is .412 in a small sample size.
    The sample size for my post is the same as the sample size for all the other posts selecting various Francisco spring training stats to rely on.

The Braves seem smart enough to understand Francisco's main weakness, which is hitting against LHP.

Against RHP, I think he'll be very productive.

Spring is for lovers

Lets check back in June

The sample size for my post is the same as the sample size for all the other posts selecting various Francisco spring training stats to rely on.

The Braves seem smart enough to understand Francisco's main weakness, which is hitting against LHP.

Against RHP, I think he'll be very productive.
    Certainly, but history says Francisco does the same things he has done all spring, except carry a .411 BABIP. And history shows that when he does those same things, his production isn't exactly much to get excited over.

I would argue his main weakness is his inability to post anything resembling a bad K/BB rate.

I still would do Chapman + Hamilton for Stanton, but I know that's a pipe dream.

I do agree with the sentiment that Hamilton's best asset is his trade value. But what is that trade?
    Sabermetrics can be boiled down to this simple truism: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Walt has now officially said that the Reds are in a "Win Now" situation.

Should they trade Hamilton for major league ready help?

Discuss.
    No.

Jocketty said the team is built to win now, not that their in a win now situation. There is a difference. The latter means that this team has to put it all in this season or nothing. It smacks of desperation.

The former suggests, well, what this team is now -- able to win. Rather than building or rebuilding and saying "next year will be the year," that time is now. We've got a good team.

We've got a strong core of players, a good cadre of pitchers, and, heck, if the toothpicks are soft enough, even a manager that won't blow a win or two.

I'm not saying that even if the right deal comes along that we shouldn't trade Hamilton. But you're saying that Jocketty's statement is tinged with fear that this team has only one shot at winning and it's this season. No, he said we finally have a team that is built for winning.
    That Joey Votto is some kind of Man Candy!

"For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night.Ē -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

I'll go on record saying I don't mind our general manager being a little "loose" with the truth. It seems many agree that if Hoover goes to AAA Walt is a liar.

It would be a terrible move, but I'm not gonna be complaining that Walt lied. Especially since I don't believe the truth was bent maliciously, more so that things could move forward smoothly.

Turn Off Ads?