Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Most important pitcher on the Reds staff - Sean Marshall

Most important pitcher on the Reds staff - Sean Marshall

Five right-handed starters. Broxton and sometimes Hoover for the 8th, and Chapman for the 9th. The glue that holds it all together, the reliever who likely is going to lead the Reds in appearances and possibly in relief innings, is Sean Marshall.

He's the one who's going to putting out the fires and turning over the lineup. He's going to be the secret sauce in the wins totals of the guys in the rotation and Chapman's saves totals.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (03-25-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (03-23-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Most important pitcher on the Reds staff - Sean Marshall

He's left-handed, so the guess from this RedsZoner is that he'll be used as a LOOGY far too often.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

5. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (03-23-2013),vaticanplum (03-24-2013),wolfboy (03-22-2013)

Would be nice to have another lefty in the pen. Marshsll is way too good to be the loogy.

I think Arredondo and Parra are battling it out for the LOOGY role.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Five right-handed starters. Broxton and sometimes Hoover for the 8th, and Chapman for the 9th. The glue that holds it all together, the reliever who likely is going to lead the Reds in appearances and possibly in relief innings, is Sean Marshall.

He's the one who's going to putting out the fires and turning over the lineup. He's going to be the secret sauce in the wins totals of the guys in the rotation and Chapman's saves totals.
    Wouldn't he be the perfect choice for the role, considering how well he's done in just that role over the past three years?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Wouldn't he be the perfect choice for the role, considering how well he's done in just that role over the past three years?
    Well, that's part of my point. The other is that he's largely irreplaceable. Hugely important job and no one else on the team is going to do it nearly as well.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Marshall has a vital role, no doubt, but it is hyperbole to state that he will be 'most important pitcher on Reds staff'...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPete Ibold View Post
    Marshall has a vital role, no doubt, but it is hyperbole to state that he will be 'most important pitcher on Reds staff'...
    I think we can excuse some hyperbole as a way to incite participation in a new thread.

In any case, I largely agree with M2 about this. Marshall becomes, if used appropriately, the true "fireman" of the bullpen who shuts down those 7th and 8th inning rallies on the way to Chapman et al. He should be one of the leaders on the team in "high leverage" appearances that way.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

12. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (03-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I think we can excuse some hyperbole as a way to incite participation in a new thread.
    Agreed.

That said, I think Bailey is the is the most important pitcher on the Reds staff.

At the end of last season, he looked like he was finally ready to step forward and become the top-of-the-rotation pitcher that everyone thought he could become five years ago. If he steps up and joins Cueto and Latos as a legit ace, it would do wonders for the Reds chances in 2013 and beyond. It's a massive advantage in the playoffs to have three aces you can trot out to the mound six times in a seven game series. If he doesn't step forward, I suspect his days with the Reds are numbered.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 03-23-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Agreed.

That said, I think Bailey is the is the most important pitcher on the Reds staff.

At the end of last season, he looked like he was finally ready to step forward and become the top-of-the-rotation pitcher that everyone thought he could become five years ago. If he steps up and joins Cueto and Latos as a legit ace, it would do wonders for the Reds chances in 2013 and beyond. It's a massive advantage in the playoffs to have three aces you can trot out to the mound six times in a seven game series. If he doesn't step forward, I suspect his days with the Reds are numbered.

I'd say that is the case if he pitches very well, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Agreed.

I don't disagree. Perhaps we at just describing two different kinds of "important."

If all performers remain about at the same level, Marshall's contribution is most pivotal. I would deem this scenario most likely.

That said, if we are talking about players who could change the club's fortunes the most with improvement, I think we have to look at Bailey and Latos. Latos is poised to become that true stopper at the front end of the rotation -- think Curt Schilling -- while Homer seems about ready to become last year's Mat Latos. If either of both happens, we may really be looking at a deep post-season run. I don't mention Cueto not because he's a lesser pitcher, but because I think we saw his step forward in 2011 and 2012. He has peaked already while the other two might still be trending up.
    Last edited by RedEye; 03-23-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

IMO the most important pitcher is Johnny Cueto. If he continues his excellent pitching I think the rest will fall into place.

17. Likes:

Tom Servo (03-23-2013)

Situationally speaking, Marshall is the glue that will hold things together in the late innings.

He will pitching in more high leverage situations than most anyone. He will be the steady hand in most of the club's wins in 2013.

That's pretty derned important.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?