Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11 Pitchers???

Re: 11 Pitchers???

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I pine for the days of a 10 man pitching staff. It's embarrassing that most relievers can only go one inning. Most teams used to have multiple pitchers who could go 2-3 on a regular basis.

It's not like there are so many more quality pitchers to choose from these days. The Reds, with a very strong pen, are choosing between Ondrusek, Simon, Hensley, Parra and Arredondo for the last few spots. None of them really need to be on the MLB roster, pitching MLB innings.

The use of 12 pitchers means either Donald or Izturis.....will not make the team. I would prefer one of those over Simon or Logan. LeClure can be the long man and if you really need another one...keep Simon then.

Logan continues to give up hits and walks while barely striking out too many.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Especially after the All-Star game you need 12 pitchers in my opinion. In the dog days of summer, all you need is a 15 inning day game on a Wednesday in Cincinnati in 100 degree heat...Then go on a 7 game road trip. That's a recipe for a disaster road trip with 11 pitchers.

I can see in April and May allowing your 12th pitcher to get extra innings in an extended spring training or the minors. However there is a comfort level in just being on the team and not being called up at the last minute and joining the team in an emergency situation during an important road trip.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Where we differ is our opinion of those depth guys. To me Ondrusek, Arredondo and Simon are no better than Hensley, a recovering Masset. Galarragga and the like. I'd expect an ERA number over 5 for Simon and Ondrusek. Arredondo is a little better, but not much IMO.
    Over 5?

Their ERA's were much better than that, as well as their FIP and xFIP's. Except for Ondrusuk of course who is bad.

Prepare to be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Especially after the All-Star game you need 12 pitchers in my opinion. In the dog days of summer, all you need is a 15 inning day game on a Wednesday in Cincinnati in 100 degree heat...Then go on a 7 game road trip. That's a recipe for a disaster road trip with 11 pitchers.

I can see in April and May allowing your 12th pitcher to get extra innings in an extended spring training or the minors. However there is a comfort level in just being on the team and not being called up at the last minute and joining the team in an emergency situation during an important road trip.
    Maybe, but why keep 12 all season? Why not wait for the 15 inning game to happen and then call somebody up? If the Reds had a question mark in one of the rotation spots, or a guy who is one of those go 5 innings and look to the pen types, then 12 pitchers is certainly needed. This team doesn't have that. These starters should be going into the 7th regularly. The pen should not need to get more than 9 outs very often and less a lot of the time.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?