Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto shushing the crowd?

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: Votto shushing the crowd?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Head hunting? I can break your ribs, which could in turn collapse your lung with a fastball to the back. I could break your hand with a fastball "to the ribs". I could break your knee cap with a pitch to the ribs that I didn't quite have pinpoint accuracy on.

Throwing at someone on purpose, to the head, ribs, back, anywhere.... it is stupid. I don't care if he said "I hit that as an anniversary present to your mom" after he hit it. That doesn't give you the right to assault him. If I got mad at someone in the real world and threw an object at them such as a baseball, I could be charged with assault/battery.

You brought up head hunting. We were saying throw high and inside. Not hitting the player in the head. If I was wantiing a player to be hit in the head on the next pitch I would say something along the lines of hit him in the head on the next pitch. (never acceptable)
    A brushback pitch is and will always be apart of the game. 1-0 count on the next pitch. End of story.

I ask this; Have you ever been hit with a pitch? Took a screaming liner that short hopped you into the chest? Had a player slide cleats up while trying to turn the double play? I was laid out cold with a broken nose in highschool playing short when i took a bad bounce, multiple bruises (granted high 70's-low 80's is not 90+) from fastballs from kids who could barely control them. Flipped more times while playing middle infield than I can count. At the end of the day its baseball. A certain level of risk is involved to everyone on the field. Don't show up a pitcher or make a big scene if you don't want to have to bail out of the box on your next at bat. Bruises are a part of the game. So rub some dirt on it, and play.

2. Likes:

coachpipe (03-25-2013),remdog (03-24-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    You brought up head hunting. We were saying throw high and inside. Not hitting the player in the head. If I was wantiing a player to be hit in the head on the next pitch I would say something along the lines of hit him in the head on the next pitch. (never acceptable)
    A brushback pitch is and will always be apart of the game. 1-0 count on the next pitch. End of story.

I ask this; Have you ever been hit with a pitch? Took a screaming liner that short hopped you into the chest? Had a player slide cleats up while trying to turn the double play? I was laid out cold with a broken nose in highschool playing short when i took a bad bounce, multiple bruises (granted high 70's-low 80's is not 90+) from fastballs from kids who could barely control them. Flipped more times while playing middle infield than I can count. At the end of the day its baseball. A certain level of risk is involved to everyone on the field. Don't show up a pitcher or make a big scene if you don't want to have to bail out of the box on your next at bat. Bruises are a part of the game. So rub some dirt on it, and play.
    Yes, I have had been beaned before and even taken a few bad hops at third in my time. None of that has to do with making something ok to ASSAULT another human being because they hurt your feelings. Period. I don't give two craps about your feelings. You don't want me to show you up? Play better.

I just watched the clip and it sure looked like a bunch of guys having a good time playing a meaningless game in the sun.

6. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (03-24-2013),Tommyjohn25 (03-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Major League Baseball isn't the real world. It's MLB. If you don't want to be plunked, act like you've been there before.

As for beaning being "bush league", so is standing at home plate and watching your home run. If you don't want you tower buzzed, the best thing is to not do that kind of thing.
    Yes, it is the real world. They don't play the games on Mars with the Curiosity Rover as the only person in the crowd.

Here is the difference between admiring your home run and assaulting someone with a pitch: One is absolutely harmless. The other one could literally change the life of someone in a bad way and you did it on purpose.

Is is assault when:

1) A pitcher throwing a brushback pitch in retaliation for being shown up accidentally hits the batter?

2) A pitcher throwing inside intentionally as part as his "pitching plan" for the batter hits the batter accidentally.

In both examples the pitcher was aiming for the same spot.

Yes, it is the real world. They don't play the games on Mars with the Curiosity Rover as the only person in the crowd.

Here is the difference between admiring your home run and assaulting someone with a pitch: One is absolutely harmless. The other one could literally change the life of someone in a bad way and you did it on purpose.
    So now it IS the "real world". For the sake of your earlier example it wasn't.
    If I got mad at someone in the real world and threw an object at them such as a baseball, I could be charged with assault/battery.
    Write your congressman I guess. I personally think baseball is pretty close to perfect as is. Beanballs, brush backs, and all.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

10. Likes:

wlf WV (03-24-2013)

Hockey players have been charged with assult in the past.

methinks knowing you're gonna take one in the back or ribs after displaying a little "me" time following a homer or some other grand feat is exactly what keeps us from having to put up with Terrell Owens' and Chad Johnsons of the world. I only wish Fernando Rodney had to bat every now and then....in my opinon of course

13. Likes:

remdog (03-24-2013),TSJ55 (03-24-2013),wlf WV (03-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    methinks knowing you're gonna take one in the back or ribs after displaying a little "me" time following a homer or some other grand feat is exactly what keeps us from having to put up with Terrell Owens' and Chad Johnsons of the world. I only wish Fernando Rodney had to bat every now and then....in my opinon of course
    So the NFL should just allow linebackers to lay out a receiver after the play, or even before the play, you know, to keep them from 'being a showboat"?

So now it IS the "real world". For the sake of your earlier example it wasn't.

Write your congressman I guess. I personally think baseball is pretty close to perfect as is. Beanballs, brush backs, and all.
    Are you also ok with assaults? Should we legalize that?

16. Likes:

Joseph Hanna (03-25-2013)

So the NFL should just allow linebackers to lay out a receiver after the play, or even before the play, you know, to keep them from 'being a showboat"?
    i wouldn't miss a game. btw it would only happen a couple of times before the showboating ended...and maybe a time or two during the year for those who forgot.

18. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-24-2013),Screwball (03-25-2013),Tommyjohn25 (03-24-2013),TSJ55 (03-24-2013),wlf WV (03-24-2013)

I have no problem with brushback pitches, or throwing behind the hitter to make a point. I don't condone hitting a player on purpose.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

20. Likes:

coachpipe (03-25-2013)

Are you also ok with assaults? Should we legalize that?
    In some instances, I think smacking the taste out of someone's mouth is exactly what is needed, yes.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

22. Likes:

Tommyjohn25 (03-24-2013)

In some instances, I think smacking the taste out of someone's mouth is exactly what is needed, yes.
    Over something that they SAID or DID that didn't inflict an ounce of harm to anyone?

Over something that they SAID or DID that didn't inflict an ounce of harm to anyone?
    Yes.

25. Likes:

coachpipe (03-25-2013)

Turn Off Ads?