That's ridiculous hyperbole.
    Of course it is.

Thank you for noticing

2. Likes:

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Re: Votto shushing the crowd?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Wow really? I had no idea. It was meant to mock the idea you can take precautions against brain injuries in collision sports. It was another barbaric comment in a thread full of them.

But hey, lets continue to mock people who kill themself because of injuries suffered for our entertainment. Lulz so funnies! Wrap them in bubble wrap!
    Barbaric comments? Only 1 I have seen even close to being over the line is your last one!!! People know what can happen when they play certain sports. Do I feel bad when people have these tragic things happen to them when their careers are over, sure, but I also don't feel sorry for them when they try to sue someone either. Don't know if that makes me evil or barbaric, but thats my opinion.

5. Likes:

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    I have a 15 year old kid that doesn't do that crap, nor do any of his teammates. It isn't necessary at any level. One of my pet peeves.

I guess I'm a hard a$$!
    If he was doing every week or something like that, I would have a problem with it. But that stuff happend in the minors. What has he done that was sooo bad since his call up???? Whacked himself with a ball bat....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    If he was doing every week or something like that, I would have a problem with it. But that stuff happend in the minors. What has he done that was sooo bad since his call up???? Whacked himself with a ball bat....LOL
    Yeah, that was puzzling.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    I have a 15 year old kid that doesn't do that crap, nor do any of his teammates. It isn't necessary at any level. One of my pet peeves.

I guess I'm a hard a$$!
    Cough, Cough, Cough

Dont get me started on them
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

He never had the opportunity to play with that group. Those guys are gone.

10. Likes:

George Anderson (03-28-2013)

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    It was another barbaric comment in a thread full of them. But hey, lets continue to mock people who kill themself because of injuries suffered for our entertainment. Lulz so funnies! Wrap them in bubble wrap!
    44, I ask you...

* Name BASEBALL players that have died at any time in their life due to injuries suffered while playing baseball.
    * Name BASEBALL players who have had their career ended due to a "purpose pitch".

I think you are taking this argument beyond normal reason to support your side. I do not agree with your side in this argument, and I think others have upset you, but I think the above-comments are a bit far-fetched. This is about baseball... not football (just so we are clear on the topic at hand). And just in case Ryan Freel gets brought into the discussion, I do not remember a purpose pitch ever causing problems with his career or mental state of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    44, I ask you...

* Name BASEBALL players that have died at any time in their life due to injuries suffered while playing baseball.
    * Name BASEBALL players who have had their career ended due to a "purpose pitch".

I think you are taking this argument beyond normal reason to support your side. I do not agree with your side in this argument, and I think others have upset you, but I think the above-comments are a bit far-fetched. This is about baseball... not football (just so we are clear on the topic at hand). And just in case Ryan Freel gets brought into the discussion, I do not remember a purpose pitch ever causing problems with his career or mental state of mind.
    Ray Chapman was killed

Several players' careers have been impaired or derailed after being struck with a beanball. Hall of Famer Mickey Cochrane was knocked unconscious for ten days in 1937, and never played another game.

In 1941, Dodgers outfielder Pete Reiser was hospitalized for a month, one of numerous injuries which shortened his career. Lou Boudreau played only sporadically after being beaned in 1951, and retired the following season. Tony Conigliaro missed over a year after being hit in the eye, and his vision later deteriorated. Dickie Thon returned from a gruesome beaning in 1984, but never matched his earlier success. On September 28, 1995, Kirby Puckett, the superstar outfielder of the Minnesota Twins, was struck in the cheek by a Dennis Martínez fastball, breaking his jaw and loosening two teeth. It would be his last game; during spring training the following year he developed glaucoma, which ended his career. In 2005, the Cubs' Adam Greenberg was hit in the head with the first pitch that he faced in his major league career.[2] Ron Santo, who thought he had lost an eye when his cheekbone was broken by a pitch in 1966, rushed back to the lineup. He described his attitude: "It was like, 'Here, hit me again.' I didn't have any fear. I just went on. When you get older, maybe fear does set in. Nobody will admit that, but it does happen". Don Zimmer, who was nearly killed by a beanball in 1953 and had four metal buttons surgically implanted in his skull, recounted, "It's not a case of being tougher than anybody else... You never know how you're going to react until you come back and play again".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beanball
    Last edited by Raisor; 03-29-2013 at 09:54 AM.

It's interesting how so many of the players rejected the safer, "Gazoo" helmet that was introduced a few years back. Now, all players are required to wear the new and improved model. Players have always known the risks of playing baseball, yet throughout the history, they have rebelled against safer equipment. First, the cap liner, then the fiberglass helmets, then the ear flap, and then the "Gazoo." It wasn't that long ago that many players were still wearing the helmets without the ear flap. (Grandfathered) Buddy Bell was one of the last Reds to wear that model.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Ray Chapman was killed
    No helmet and not considered a PURPOSE PITCH (the premise of this discussion). Big difference between a HBP and a PURPOSE PITCH. From the "others" (purpose pitches?) you should support putting the ball on a tee, right?

I have no idea or not if any of the listed above injuries were "purpose" pitches or not.

The fact is, baseball is dangerous enough when something like that happens by accident.

I have no idea or not if any of the listed above injuries were "purpose" pitches or not.

The fact is, baseball is dangerous enough when something like that happens by accident.
    Couldn't one argue, since more times than not a "purpose pitch" is aimed at the numbers or leg or sometimes behind the batter, that a hitter is actually MORE likely to be injured by an accidental pitch?
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Couldn't one argue, since more times than not a "purpose pitch" is aimed at the numbers or leg or sometimes behind the batter, that a hitter is actually MORE likely to be injured by an accidental pitch?
    Are you prepared to say that beanings in the head are NEVER on purpose?

I NEVER work in absolutes. So, no. I'm just saying, one could argue that and have an point.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

The batter thinks it is a lot eh?

http://baseballminutia.com/blog/2006/05/22/37/

Turn Off Ads?