Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto shushing the crowd?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Votto shushing the crowd?

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    I would have no problem if that happened either. I doubt Votto does that in a regular season game. These guys are just having some fun while getting their work in.

That was Mark McGwire vs Randy Johnson in the Kingdome far.

If anyone feels like watching Votto highlights check out the Mother's Day game last year. May 6 vs the Nationals 4-5 3 HR, 1 2B, a warning track fligh out. Also one of the HRs was a walkoff grandslam. Everything he hit that day was crushed.
    Why do you have no problem if it happened?

People need to just learn to deal with the other guys having some fun. Don't want them to? Outperform them.

Oh, you did your job excellently and felt the need to admire your work or tell the crowd that has been rough to you that you did it? That's it, I am going to try and hurt you over it.

Um, what? That is what 5th graders do. Well, that and baseball players.

2. Likes:

texasdave (03-26-2013),Zimmers (03-25-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

If anyone feels like watching Votto highlights check out the Mother's Day game last year. May 6 vs the Nationals 4-5 3 HR, 1 2B, a warning track fligh out. Also one of the HRs was a walkoff grandslam. Everything he hit that day was crushed.
    That was such an awesome game. We were going CRAZY when the ball left his bat on the walkoff.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm glad Votto is on OUR team. Love that guy.

6. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-24-2013),Number_Fourteen (03-25-2013),RedEye (03-24-2013),Spider Tre (03-24-2013)

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Why do you have no problem if it happened?

People need to just learn to deal with the other guys having some fun. Don't want them to? Outperform them.

Oh, you did your job excellently and felt the need to admire your work or tell the crowd that has been rough to you that you did it? That's it, I am going to try and hurt you over it.

Um, what? That is what 5th graders do. Well, that and baseball players.
    Throwing high and inside is not trying to hurt the player. Lets not go down the extreme here of throwing at someone's head. That is trying to cause harm and is a bush league move. I don't consider a fastball to the quad as trying to hurt someone, or throwing inside to cause the batter to back up.

Throwing high and inside is not trying to hurt the player. Lets not go down the extreme here of throwing at someone's head. That is trying to cause harm and is a bush league move. I don't consider a fastball to the quad as trying to hurt someone, or throwing inside to cause the batter to back up.
    And if you miss the quad and hit the hand? Or hit the knee? Or the ribs? All could wind up breaking something. There is a difference between throwing inside and throwing at someone.

The "brush back" and sometimes hitting someone are part of the game. That's the way it is and should continue to be. In this ST case, it isn't warranted and it didn't occur.

If the hypothetical regular season situation happened, which I doubt would occur b/c JV is pretty classy, and there was no "head hunting" involved, so be it.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

10. Likes:

coachpipe (03-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    The "brush back" and sometimes hitting someone are part of the game. That's the way it is and should continue to be. In this ST case, it isn't warranted and it didn't occur.

If the hypothetical regular season situation happened, which I doubt would occur b/c JV is pretty classy, and there was no "head hunting" involved, so be it.
    Why are they part of the game though? Because you sucked enough that your feelings got hurt? Get over it cry baby. Be a man, don't be a child. Do better next time. If everytime my feelings got hurt a little bit and I lashed out violently toward someone, I would be in jail. Somehow, in sports, it is ok. I have never understood that.

12. Likes:

Raisor (03-24-2013),RedEye (03-24-2013),reds44 (03-25-2013),texasdave (03-26-2013),Zimmers (03-25-2013)

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Why are they part of the game though? ... Get over it cry baby. Be a man, don't be a child.

Kind of goes both ways. Above, no one mentioned head hunting.

A good pitcher should be able to execute a brushback pitch without hitting the batter. If they can do such a thing more power to them.

15. Likes:

coachpipe (03-25-2013)

It's part of how players police themselves. You don't have to understand it. Baseball players do understand it though, and they're the ones playing the game.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

17. Likes:

coachpipe (03-25-2013)

rub some dirt on it.

Kind of goes both ways. Above, no one mentioned head hunting.
    Head hunting? I can break your ribs, which could in turn collapse your lung with a fastball to the back. I could break your hand with a fastball "to the ribs". I could break your knee cap with a pitch to the ribs that I didn't quite have pinpoint accuracy on.

Throwing at someone on purpose, to the head, ribs, back, anywhere.... it is stupid. I don't care if he said "I hit that as an anniversary present to your mom" after he hit it. That doesn't give you the right to assault him. If I got mad at someone in the real world and threw an object at them such as a baseball, I could be charged with assault/battery.

20. Likes:

RedEye (03-24-2013),texasdave (03-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    It's part of how players police themselves. You don't have to understand it. Baseball players do understand it though, and they're the ones playing the game.
    Why the heck are they policing themselves? They aren't the freaking police. And the police don't care if your feelings were hurt either.

911 dispatcher: What is your emergency?

Caller: My neighbor hurt my feelings because he said his car is better than mine.

911 dispatcher: Is that all? We don't have time for this. This number is for emergencies.

Caller: Well, I wanted someone to police my feelings.

911 dispatcher: Call back with something like this and we will police you with charges for misuse of 911. *hangs up*

What if I were to police my feelings being hurt? Oh, I would go to jail.

Hitting a guy on purpose is bush league and dangerous.

Major League Baseball isn't the real world. It's MLB. If you don't want to be plunked, act like you've been there before.

As for beaning being "bush league", so is standing at home plate and watching your home run. If you don't want you tower buzzed, the best thing is to not do that kind of thing.

24. Likes:

coachpipe (03-25-2013),wlf WV (03-24-2013)

Turn Off Ads?