Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto shushing the crowd?

Re: Votto shushing the crowd?

Standing over the plate and getting brushed back are both just parts of the game, awesome parts of the game. Its baseball, and not the real world so that's why both such things are aceppted. How boring would it be if both sides were friends, after Votto hit a bomb and Capenter said "nice shot, you got me good that time buddy." Hell no, thats terrible and just not sports. Besides the fact that these guys play a kids game for millions, most of them anyhow. I for one love the brush back and the bean balls, its baseball. A very small part of what makes it so great, but it is a part. This is baseball, not the real world, and thats why its not assault....a part of making it the great game it is.

2. Likes:

TSJ55 (03-24-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    What does it say about players who showboat, when it is common knowledge that showboating leads to being thrown at (or your teammates being thrown at). Hate to say it but I see guys on the Reds do it and I shake my head. (For all purposes, everyone seemed to be yucking it up at Votto/Darvish so that seemed all good)
    Certainly Kal. This particular incident doesn't seem to be big deal and I'm not arguing that JV should have been plunked. Regular season would have been a different story all together. Like you said (and I and several others) I can't imagine JV doing it in ther regular season though, so it matters not.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I don't care to get into the discussion whether it should be acceptable for players to showboat without fear of retaliation...I really don't care one way or the other. But to showboat, knowing what we know.....ugh. And I imagine the players for the most part know what will be tolerated...walkoff bounces seem to be ok, etc.
    The players most certainly know what will be tolerated and that's why I'm firmly in favor of taking action when they get out of line. If for some reason they don't know, ignorance of the law is no defense. Their vets should do a better job coaching them up.
    Last edited by TSJ55; 03-24-2013 at 05:24 PM.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner44 View Post
    Standing over the plate and getting brushed back are both just parts of the game, awesome parts of the game. Its baseball, and not the real world so that's why both such things are aceppted. How boring would it be if both sides were friends, after Votto hit a bomb and Capenter said "nice shot, you got me good that time buddy." Hell no, thats terrible and just not sports. Besides the fact that these guys play a kids game for millions, most of them anyhow. I for one love the brush back and the bean balls, its baseball. A very small part of what makes it so great, but it is a part. This is baseball, not the real world, and thats why its not assault....a part of making it the great game it is.
    So they can't be friendly, but can't tell the other guy "I got you dude!" by watching a home run or flipping his bat?

Throwing a baseball at someone doesn't make it a great game. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    The players most certainly know what will be tolerated and that's why I'm firmly in favor of taking action when they get out of line. If for some reason they don't know, ignorance of the law is no defense. Their vets should do a better job coaching them up.
    So why can't Joey Votto go punch a guy who lays a hard tag on him? He is just policing, right? We were all awfully happy Joey stayed out of the fight with Team Canada because we wanted him to stay healthy, right? So why is it ok to throw at players?

It seems like it is "ok" because it has always been that way. But if the game were invented today, do you think it would be acceptable?

7. Likes:

Raisor (03-24-2013)

Arroyo was just assaulted

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    Arroyo was just assaulted
    No he wasn't. It wasn't purposeful. It was a byproduct of an action without any intent.

If you don't want someone to "showboat" after a homerun, don't give up the home run. Plunking him or a teamate just leads to beanwars.

We seem to want our players to be professional, but not too professional. Guys get smacked down for not showing enough emotion, but then get called out for showing too much.

If Bruce hits a bomb, and wants to admire it for a second, I don't think he should be concerned with getting thrown at the next time he's up. If Latos gives one up, and brian mcann does a fist pump or something, get him out next time.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No he wasn't. It wasn't purposeful. It was a byproduct of an action without any intent.
    can you prove this?

btw i was just kidding

So why can't Joey Votto go punch a guy who lays a hard tag on him? He is just policing, right?
    Who says that he can't? If he percieves the tag to be malicious then he probably should punch the guy. The fact that he's on the baseball field means that he can.

It seems like it is "ok" because it has always been that way. But if the game were invented today, do you think it would be acceptable?
    The game wasn't wasn't invented today, thankfully.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

And then joey gets suspended for punching the guy. Yeah, what a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    And possibly injured during the bench-clearing fight that would no doubt follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

So they can't be friendly, but can't tell the other guy "I got you dude!" by watching a home run or flipping his bat?

Throwing a baseball at someone doesn't make it a great game. At all.
    They can be friendly if they want to. No ones stopping them. But just like anyone else who plays on opposite teams its very hard to be friendly. I for one almost always went out there hating my opponent. Not saying it was right, but it was my motivation.

I could be wrong , but Ive never heard of a law suit for being hit by a pitch or thrown at. Or even a brawl during a game. Which tells me the players dont see it as assault, just part of the game. And as much as we all love it and follow, they live it. They'll make the decision of weather or not someone crossed the line with an inside pitch or a move considered show boating. Just my humble opion.

If you don't want someone to "showboat" after a homerun, don't give up the home run. Plunking him or a teamate just leads to beanwars.
    Not when done correctly. Teammates know for the most part when someone has gone too far. In those cases, they know their player may be hit. If he is, and it was just, then it (should be) over. If it wasn't just or if there is just plain old bad blood, then beanwars may take place. Frankly, as long as nobody gets hit in the dome, I don't have much problem with that either.

It CAN get out of hand when some prima donna thinks he was hit w/ a curveball or something else stupid.

We seem to want our players to be professional, but not too professional. Guys get smacked down for not showing enough emotion, but then get called out for showing too much.
    You can show emotion and still act like you've been there before, classy and respectful to the game and other players.

If Bruce hits a bomb, and wants to admire it for a second, I don't think he should be concerned with getting thrown at the next time he's up. If Latos gives one up, and brian mcann does a fist pump or something, get him out next time.
    A fist pump and admiring a home run for little too long are more than likely two very different things. JB shouldn't admire a home run. Hopefully it's not the only one he's going to hit. Just get around the bases in a timely fashion, fist bump your way into the dugout, tell the next guys to hit what pitch it was, and get ready to go onto the field to play defense.

So you would have JV just get tagged in a fashion that could possibly injure him and not retaliate at all? This is where a good purpose pitch is in order. If Latos is on the hill, there would be no reason for JV to retaliate b/c he knows that Matt has his back.

If there is a lesser pitcher on the mound who JV is not so sure has his back, then he may think he needs to defend himself.

Too bad there aren't brushback pitches on Redszone.

19. Likes:

coachpipe (03-25-2013),The Operator (03-25-2013)

Turn Off Ads?