Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Minor League Parks

Best Minor League Parks

The writer has travelled around checking out minor league parks. Here he lists his favorites. Some pretty nice pics. Pensacola's stadium is among his choices.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...vkey=news_milb
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Best Minor League Parks

Was glad to see some dap, for AutoZone Park, in Memphis. Never been to a game there, but been by it many times. SHARP.
    The first Minor League stadium, I went to, don't know if still in existence, was Hyde Park, in Niagara Falls....seen a few future Pirates...Omar Moreno and Ed Ott, to name a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    The writer has travelled around checking out minor league parks. Here he lists his favorites. Some pretty nice pics. Pensacola's stadium is among his choices.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...vkey=news_milb
    Pensacola is absolutely fantastic. The view itself is great, but the area outside is real nice (it is just a year old, so it ought to be), inside the stadium is very nice, the entertainment is pretty darn good, excellent food and the staff is great. Just very well done all around.

And Daytona is one of the biggest dumps of a stadium I've ever seen.

In my (limited) travels to minor league ballparks (about 40 in total), I'd argue that Louisville, Dayton, and Pennsacola all rate as top echelon places to see games.

My list, in no particular order:
    4. Brooklyn
    5. Charleston (Bonus points for the barbecue)
    6. Durham
    7. Toledo
    8. Memphis
    9. Pawtucket
    10. Oklahoma City
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

7. Likes:

19braves77 (03-25-2013)

40 is limited? I know there are a lot of stadiums out there, but that is a whole lo of stadiums to have been to.

In three weeks, I am doing 8 games in 8 different stadiums in the Midwest. Sadly, Dayton didn't fit into the schedule.

Pensacola has opened the party deck on the other side of the stadium and this offers a completely different view. They didn't have enough time to complete it last year.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    40 is limited? I know there are a lot of stadiums out there, but that is a whole lo of stadiums to have been to.
    My grandfather and I began going to "close" minor league games when I was a kid. If we went to Myrtle Beach on vacation (and we did), we spent at least one day watching a game. We'd stop on the way back "home" at another minor league destination (maybe West Virginia, maybe Chattanooga, maybe elsewhere).

My Dad and I continued the trend after my grandfather had a stroke. We brought him back pictures and programs to decorate his room from two separate road trips to New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and northern Ohio.

My wife and I now go whenever we can. When one of her friends got married in Tulsa a few years ago, we were able to see three games on the ten-day vacation-- one in Springfield, one in Tulsa, and one in Oklahoma City.

(I have the greatest wife in the world.)
    -- Christy Matthewson
    -- Leo Durocher

One of my big goals for the next decade is to get to more minor league and independent league parks. I'd like to see all of the International, Eastern, Sally and New York-Penn leagues, plus the Can-Am and Atlantic leagues.

Two of my favorites are Portland (ME) and Chattanooga. And it's not just the stadiums, but their locations. Portland is just a little outside the downtown area and Chattanooga is smack in the heart of the downtown. And both are really cool cities.

Brooklyn is spectacular. Lowell (MA) is awfully good. New Britain has a fine park. It's a crying shame you have to go to Camden (NJ) to see the Camden park. I also highly recommend putting Quebec City on your bucket list - aside from being a very cool park, it's like driving to Europe.

And I have a soft spot for Delmarva. The park is nothing fancy, but you're right on top of the field and the crowd tends to be in good spirits. Seriously, very good vibe at that park.

I'm told Lakeland (FL) is a must-see. Erie and Akron also look promising.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    My wife and I now go whenever we can. When one of her friends got married in Tulsa a few years ago, we were able to see three games on the ten-day vacation-- one in Springfield, one in Tulsa, and one in Oklahoma City.
    How was OKC? It looks like a pretty cool park in photos.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    How was OKC? It looks like a pretty cool park in photos.
    Hot. 104 degrees. Second hottest park I've ever been to, next to Bowling Green's. (106 and miserable.)

The beer was good. (And cheap.) The park was fairly cool. Retro. It actually reminded me of Louisville's. The parking was easy, both to the park and after the game. (OKC is really easy to navigate as a whole, IMO-- so is Tulsa. Oklahoma's larger cities are just well-planned.) Sight lines looked outstanding everywhere, but I didn't check. (We had seats down the third base line under the canopy.)
    -- Christy Matthewson
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Brooklyn is spectacular.
    That was the first one in my mind when thinking of minor league parks. A view of the Atlantic. We went in late July, but it was 10 degrees cooler at the park than elsewhere.

Parking looked impossible, so we parked forever away and did the whole Subway thing. Three or four blocks (IIRC) from a Nathan's to the park. Easy walk, too.

Great crowd, too. None of that whole Boston/ New Yawk crapola either. Just smart baseball crowds.
    -- Christy Matthewson
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    .... and did the whole Subway thing. .....
    $5 footlong?

I went to a bunch of games at DBAP when we lived in Raleigh. It was the best baseball watching venue I have ever been in. It's predecessor, Durham Athletic Park aka "Dap", was a heap, with aluminum bleachers and nasty bathrooms, but it was still fun.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Pretty sure it won't be remembered as a great baseball stadium, but PGE Park in Portland, Oregon will always hold a place in my heart. It's a sunken stadium, most of it below street level, with the field viewable from a fence outside left field. My favorite quirk was probably the MAX light-rail train occascioning past. Nothing fancy, just a unique place where I caught a quite a few Timbers games.

Portland was pretty apathetic with regards to baseball though, and they've since converted it to a soccer-only stadium for the MLS Timbers (whose games are raucous).

Turn Off Ads?