Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In (your) home childcare rates?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

In (your) home childcare rates?

A friend of mine is looking for some child care options. They have a 9 year old, who leaves for school at 7:30am and gets back at 3:30pm. They have a 4 year old as well, who doesn't go to school yet. They are looking for someone to come to their home from 7am until usually 3-3:30pm every day of the work week. Some days it may be earlier in the afternoon that someone would get off, say 1pm from time to time.

They have been absolutely shocked by the rates that people want to charge. Personally, I think that they are crazy to think that the prices they have been quoted are crazy because they are attempting to compare that to sending the youngest to a daycare for now and then both to daycare during the summer.

But I thought I would ask here and see if anyone has had a similar experience and what the "going rate" was for something like this.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: In (your) home childcare rates?

I can tell you that the rates really vary based on your location.

They need to call day cares in their area and get a ballpark.

I agree- thinking someone can spend 7 hours a day watching a kid will be cheap is in for some news.

They (the wife, I haven't talked to the husband about it) was expecting something like $125 a week. I laughed out loud. I was like, some quick math says that is about $3 an hour. No one is working for that price. Someone quoted them for $6 an hour, cash, and apparently she said that was "Crazy!" because "The Montessori schools aren't even that much. I am not paying that for someone to sit on my couch all day and watch my kid."

I couldn't help but laugh inside. If someone is coming to your house, that means you don't have to wake the child up, get them ready, meaning you get to sleep in more and don't have any hassle with them in the mornings, don't have to drive them to wherever then drive to work. Also don't have to pick them up after work. They get meals cooked for them each day.

But, at the same time, I don't know what the going rate is, but I just can't imagine someone coming over and babysitting essentially full time for anything remotely close to what she is expecting.

Time is time.

Getting someone to make responsible use of that time is houng to cost you.

Why won't they just put them in day care?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Time is time.

Getting someone to make responsible use of that time is houng to cost you.

Why won't they just put them in day care?
    I believe they are going to wind up with them in day care because of their pricing expectations. From the few people they have talked with about in-their-home care, the price far exceeds what they are willing to pay.

I like day care. At least my son gets some play time with other kids in supervised conditions.

He also can count and say his ABC's, something I wouldn't expect an in home provider to teach.

$9-$11 per hour, however, they might be able to get somebody for $50-$60 per day as a cap. $250-$300 a week would be a good deal for someone to come to their home. $125 is comical.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I am having trouble getting my mind around the concept of entrusting my kid to someone for $3.00/hr. Unless it's 1985.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Having a 2-year old, who has been in some form of day care since 12-weeks-old, I've looked at this issue closely. Around here (metro Denver) you can put your child in someone else's reputable, licensed home day care (6 kids or fewer) for $45/day - 10 hour days (e.g. 715-515) per kid. If you want someone with decent references who will submit to criminal background check (recommended) who will come to your house and watch 2 kids, you're talking $9-10/hour with minimum 8 hour days.

The way I look at it, all decent childcare people are grossly underpaid. My daughter is worth zillions (priceless). It's just that at some point it doesn't make sense for both my wife and I to work. A quarter of my wife's salary BEFORE taxes goes to our care provider.
    Stick to your guns.

FWIW, in south Dayton area, we were paying roughly $1000 a month for 1 kid at day care when he was 1 & 2 years old. We switched to a women that watched kids out of her house for $30 a day (or $55 a day now that we have 2), which works out to $610 ($1155) a month.

I would suspect someone working at your house, watching your 4 year old as well as you school age child (for some portion of the day) is going to be the most expensive option of the 3.

There are advantages to all 3, and setbacks.

The day care is more expensive then taking them to a sitter and is generally going to be more structured. However, as we found, the people watching our son in the morning were not the same as the ones in the afternoon and were often not the same people in the room when my wife came to pick them up, so the "how was his day" question was often left unanswered. On the plus side, if one of the day care workers gets sick, there is someone there to fill their place as most will hire floaters to go from room to room and fill in the gaps due to need/vacation/sickness/etc...

We love our sitter, she does work on the ABCs, does artwork projects and anytime the weather is decent, she gets the kids outside as much as possible. I'd imagine the quality of care differs greatly from one person to another, so you'll want to ask around, talk to other people who love their sitter if you know them.

I would expect my at home provider to work on the ABCs, counting, etc... they're also making lunch and in the case of a 4 year old, who is probably only taking (1) 1-2 hour nap, they should be engaged w/ their child pretty much the whole time they are there. To think that they are going to be sitting on their couch all day is foolish. If you want to find somebody on the cheap who will do that, I'm sure they can be found, but a good at home sitter should keep TV viewing to a minimum (a movie could be a treat, perhaps 30 minutes of TV time after a nap or something, but the TV shouldn't be on all day), they should be helping your childs learning and knowledge.

What you don't get in the at home provider is the economy of scale. Watching 2 kids is more work than 1, but watching 6 kids isn't significantly more work than watching 3 kids, which means you can save money b/c their splitting their time working on the same things w/ multiple kids rather than working on the same project w/ just 1 child. The benefit of an at home provider should be obvious, they will have 1 on 1 time with your child and can attend to their every need at the moment presented. If your dealing w/ multiple children, needs are meet as they come up/prioritizes themselves.

the $10 an hour price above seems about right, which is going to translate into roughly $1600 a month depending on how many work days there are in a month. Day care is almost always more expensive than people think at first blush.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I am having trouble getting my mind around the concept of entrusting my kid to someone for $3.00/hr. Unless it's 1985.
    Here is an interesting thought, we pay our regular sitter roughly $7 an hour to watch our 10 month old out of her house from roughly 8 - 4 and our 4 year old from 12-4 4 days a week (preschool in the morning) and a full day on friday. She also watches a handful of other kids and has her sister help her in the afternoon when things get hectic as kids get out of school and spend time at her house until parent pick them up.

Her 16 year old daughter sits for us in the evening from time to time. We pay her more per hour than her mother, roughly $8-$10 an hour to babysit. As Cincy Chili said, a quality day care provider is the most underpaid person in america. However, the balance b/w both parents working and the cost of day car lowers the rates that they can charge. She might be worth $2,000 a month, but once you take 2 kids on at that price, that's more than my wife makes in a month as a teacher.

I think the biggest benefit they wanted from someone to come to their home was the fact that the wife wouldn't have to get up an hour earlier in order to get the kids up and ready, and everything that comes with that and taking the both to school/daycare (in different places at least until school is out for the summer) as well as going back and picking them up after work.

Where I get confused at, is just what is all of that time worth to someone? Let's say it is $175 a week for one kid at some daycare. From April-June, you are saving roughly 50 bucks a week. Over the what, 9 weeks that school is still in, that is $450. However from June until what, August 21st you have to pay daycare for both kids and still adjust your schedule and you have to do more "work" every day to get the kids up at 6 and get them ready and to somewhere, while now paying what, $275 a week for both kids (total rough guess, I figure you probably get a discount for two kids being at the same place)? Compared to $225 for the $6 an hour babysitter that comes to your house and watches both kids. Over 12 weeks of the summer you are now losing $600 and doing more work on your own. And none of that goes into account for all of the extra gas you will be using.

I don't know, I just don't know that they/she thought this whole thing through very well. I am still just having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that she thought someone would come work, basically a full time job, for $3 an hour.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    On the plus side, if one of the day care workers gets sick, there is someone there to fill their place as most will hire floaters to go from room to room and fill in the gaps due to need/vacation/sickness/etc...
    This is a great point that a lot of people don't think about.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    This is a great point that a lot of people don't think about.
    very true, its only affected us once (and you could see it coming when everyone at the day care (as well as my household) was getting hit w/ the same stomach bug), but we're lucky in that my wife's mother doesn't work, and we can generally drop them off there at the last minute, or my wife is a teacher and can use her sick days for something like that. Not everyone gets that luxory.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    $9-$11 per hour, however, they might be able to get somebody for $50-$60 per day as a cap. $250-$300 a week would be a good deal for someone to come to their home. $125 is comical.
    This. Several of the daycare facilities my wife and I looked at were in excess of $250/week, so it's not outrageous to think that in home care would exceed that.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

17. Likes:

jojo (03-27-2013)

Turn Off Ads?