Turn Off Ads?

Thread: My son took the oath today...

My son took the oath today...

United States Marine Corps. Goes to boot camp May 20.

I'm pretty proud of him.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (03-22-2013),Driver62 (03-28-2013),GIK (03-28-2013),paintmered (03-22-2013),Raisor (03-29-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (03-21-2013),remdog (03-22-2013),Slyder (03-22-2013),Spitball (04-04-2013),Tommyjohn25 (03-24-2013),wolfboy (03-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My son took the oath today...

Wish him well. I've had some friends and relatives in the Marines. I would have been one of those guys they show crying as soon as they get to boot camp, but they all survived and it made them into great men.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Yep! Did that. Was 22 y.o. Weighed 117 lbs, (one ib. less and I would have been exempt, but I didn't know that) just out of college and reported to Parris Island, May 9, 1969. They pushed me to go to OCS but I stuck with being a grunt---glad I did. Boot Camp is no fun but, all in all, I'm glad I did it. I found out I could do more things than I thought I could. Taught me a lot and shaped me more towards who I am than I imagined it would. Those guys are tops! Just awsome!

Made some great friends in the Corps---met my best friend for the last 30 years there.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

My son heads west to San Diego May 20. He's 5'10, 185, and mostly muscle. He's got two months to show he can do 50 crunches in 2 minutes. he managed 32 yesterday for them.

I'm very proud of him.

TRF:

You have every right to be proud of him. You certainly didn't end up with a son with a dogcollar.

Spent sometime at SD. Actually, a nice base. One of the main reasons I moved to California.

Semper Fi!

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Congrats to you and your son.

I tried to enlist in 2009. 18, fresh out of HS, went through the whole processing at MEPS. Unfortunately for me, I was DQ'd for having two perforated eardrums. Spent the next 3 1/2 years out of school, depressed, having to go through 4 surgeries/recruiters, trying to get a waiver approved by BUMED. Last January I finally heard back from them, they rejected me outright. I can never be a Marine...BUT, the Army was nice enough to approve my waiver and I'm starting the ROTC program this Fall because THE HELL with enlisting now.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

9. Likes:

jimbo (03-27-2013),TeamSelig (03-25-2013)

My son's boot camp date was moved up to April 23, so just a month left with him. nervous and proud.

You should be very proud. I have two younger cousins who both became marines and they have turned into very high quality young men. Good husbands, fathers, and always willing to give a lending hand to someone who needs it. Lots of luck to him!!

Turn Off Ads?