Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cactus League - Reds, Rangers 3/24

Re: Cactus League - Reds, Rangers 3/24

Reds get 2 on with no out and fail to score in the 6th. Reds with 2 hits through 6.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Procedural question. Why do minor leaguers have to be assigned to the team in order to play in a spring training game? What is the point? I can't believe that uses an option up or I would imagine not many minor leaguers would get into Major League Spring Training games.
    where are you watching this game?
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Choo with a single, then a double by Votto and an absolute FUNKBLAST for a 3run HR for Beethoven. Good to see!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    I don't think it is on TV, getting the play by play from a very slow MLB gameday.

Phillips with an RBI single, then Votto with a 2 run HR, 7-1 Reds bot 8

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    I don't think it is on TV, getting the play by play from a very slow MLB gameday.
    I could not find it -- just listening on MLB for me ---

Thx

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    I was listening to Cowboy and Kelch.

For the second straight day, I leave and the Reds' bats come alive.

Choo 2 for 5, including a solo jack.
    Phillips with a hit and a walk.
    Votto 2 for 3 with two walks and a two-run poke.
    Ludwick 2 for 4 with a walk and a three-run blast.
    Konrad Schmidt (catcher), who they just must have picked up from Texas went 1 for 1.

Leake with six strong.
    Broxton went a third of an inning, giving up a double and a walk. Not sure if he got hurt or what.
    Christiani relieved Broxton and got two outs, one via strike out.
    Arredondo pitched a scoreless frame, he struck out one but gave up two hits.
    Ondrusek no bueno today. One inning. Two runs. Two hits. One left the yard. One K.

Any news on Broxton? No news must be good news. It seems strange that he would come on in the 7th and get an out, give up a double, walk a batter and then get pulled. Maybe he was just going to face three batters no matter what.

Johnny Cueto ready? Check.
    Mike Leake ready? Check.

Time for some baseball. I would rather listen to a Reds' ST game than watch the Super Bowl (unless the Bengals were in it) I grew up listening to the Reds on the radio.

Thom is calling the game along with Jim Kelch. I may be in the minority but I like listening to Kelch. Professional and prepared.

Mat Latos making his final tuneup. Kansas Royals are the opposition. Reds have their Opening Day lineup on the field. Choo, Phillips. Votto, Ludwick. Bruce, Frazier, Cozart and Hanigan.

Do they not have radar guns at minor league parks? Checking out some stats between innings. Bailey made 31 starts against NL teams last year. 9 came against teams that scored more than the league-average number of runs. 1 against a team that scored exactly the league-average number of runs. 21 against teams that scored fewer than the league-average number of runs.

Royals 1st - You could hear a solid crack of the bat on that pitch. Gordon lines a single to right. KC lineup has been hitting this spring: .429/.286/.306/.418/.377/.362/.446/.367. Thom says Latos is already frustrated. LOL. Strike'em out. Throw'em out. That should brighten Mat's mood a bit. Butler shoots one all the way to the wall for a standup double. Moustakas whiffs. Two Ks in the inning for Latos.

Reds 1st - Choo loops a single to center. Nice. Phillips follows suit, flaring one out to center. Reds are BABIP-ing Santana early in the contest. Joey Doubles shoots one to the wall in left. Votto runs into the first baseman and is awarded second. Hold your breath.......okay, everyone seems to be alright. Choo scores. Brandon on third. Ludwick abused by Santana. One down. Bruce swings and misses. Two down. Grounder to first off the bat of Frazier. Inning over. Really the only hard-hit ball was Votto's. 1-0.

Royals 2nd - Latos is popping that mitt today. Salvador Perez one-hops the wall for a double. Hosmer lines a single to left and they hold the runner at third. Latos is a bit under the weather today per Thom. A tapper to the Toddfather who comes home for out number one. Tejada strikes out. Latos wriggles his way out of danger by striking out Santana. 4 Ks through two.

Reds 2nd - Cozart skies to left center. One out. Ryan Hanigan with a liner that rolls to the wall. He scampers (rumbles?) into second. Latos raps one off the glove of the first baseman and gets himself a single and a run batted in. 2-0. Choo lines one down the left-field line and it goes all the way to the wall. He cruises into second. A combined five doubles in less than two innings. Reds' fans are gonna like their leadoff hitter in 2013. Phillips walks to load them up. No place to put Votto. Check swing roller back to the mound. Santana comes home for one and the throw to first gets Votto. Inning over. 2-0.

Royals 3rd - Alex Gordon falls behind 0-2, works his way back to 3-2 and then golfs one down the right-field line that leaves the yard. 2-1. Choo battles the high sky and hauls in a routine fly ball for out number one. Butler lines a single to center. A wild pitch moves Butler into scoring position. Moustakas walks. Two men on. Salvador Perez sends one over the 380 mark in left-center. 4-2 KC. They are going to hate leaving Arizona. They came in to the game hitting .336 as a team. Hosmer rips a single to center. Cain triples to right. 5-2. Action in the Reds' bullpen. Manny Parra is up and throwing. Tejada grabs some bench. Santana dribbles one to Cozart. Could well be all for Latos this afternoon. Latos line: 3IP 9H 5ER 1BB 5K 2HR.

Reds 3rd - Parra has stopped throwing so maybe Latos goes back out. Ludwick rolls one hard to the second baseman. Tejada backhands and throws out Ryan. Bruce follows suit. Two down. Frazier keeps it on the ground to his opposite number. Easy inning for Ervin.

Royals 4th - Parra will take the mound here in the top of the fourth. He will face the lefty Alex Gordon. Gordon lines it hard but Ludwick makes a diving catch. Thom called it a rocket. Parra walks the second man he faces. Johnson steals second. Hanigan comes up to throw but is bumped by the home plate umpire and they send Johnson back to first. Billy Butler sends a lazy fly ball to Choo in center. Parra goes to Votto and the runner takes off for second. Votto pegs to Cozart and the inning is over.

Reds 4th - Cozart grounds to short. Hanigan's pop to short center is hauled in by Tejada. Parra will hit for himself. Looks like a multi-inning stint for Manny. Parra singles to center. Nice. Choo Ks.

Royals 5th - Moustakas out at first, Votto to Parra covering. Perez bounces to Phillips. Two down. Hosmer singles to left. Cain with a line drive double to right. Second and third. A Miguel Tejada infield hit brings in a run. Phillips fielded the ball going away from first and could not get enough on the throw. 6-2. Max Ramirez lines a single to second to drive in run number 7. Paulo Orlando grounds a single to left to plate Tejada. Elliott Johnson flies to Bruce in right. 8-2. Parra's line: 2IP 5H 3ER 1BB 0K. And a diving catch by Ludwick off the bat of Gordon saved him another extra base hit. Pack your bags for Louisville, Manny.

Dinner time. Reds will probably score half a dozen while I am gone.
    Last edited by texasdave; 03-28-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Radio talking heads said that Latos was under the weather today ----

I miss Raisor

Ondrusek, Arredondo and Hoover all pitched a scoreless frame. Ondrusek and Arredondo were perfect, each with a K. Hoover gave up a hit and a walk, while striking out three.
    Reds only scored one more run, that coming on a Bryson Smith blast in the ninth.

Time for some baseball. I would rather listen to a Reds' ST game than watch the Super Bowl (unless the Bengals were in it) I grew up listening to the Reds on the radio.

I agree with you TD. I have enjoyed listening to the Reds spring training games. I have MLB At Bat 13 on my Kindle Fire and have turned them on in the afternoons when I get home from work. I grew up listeing also in the days when there were very few games on TV. Really nothing better than drfting off to sleep at night with a game playing in the background.
    Thanks for your dauly roundups this spring. Very enjoyable and informative.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?