Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lohse to Brewers

Re: Lohse to Brewers

Back to Lohse. He really should think of firing Boros over this.

He turned down a one year deal for $13.3M with the Cardinals. That means he basically is getting less than $20M for 2014-15. I have to think he could have done better by taking the Cardinal's offer and staying where he has had success.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Of course, if you were drafted in 2009 out of high school, you are 21 or 22 right now. That is the year we drafted Billy Hamilton. Not exactly a good data set to come to conclusions from.
    I wanted the most recent, due to Mike's claim that teams are better at drafting these days. But take 2009 out and the numbers are very similar.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Great deal for Lohse. I was secretly hoping he would have to settle for a 1yr 10MM (or less) deal.

On another note how about the Vernon Wells trade? An "untradeable contract" has now changed hands twice in the last 2 years. Sometimes fans no nothing.
    With mega money changing hands. The Angels are paying $29 M of the $42M owing!!!!

Sometimes fans know lots.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I wanted the most recent, due to Mike's claim that teams are better at drafting these days. But take 2009 out and the numbers are very similar.
    Maybe I'm just blinded by epic years of drafting like 2005 where you had 8 first rounders become all stars and a good chunk of those players made impact on their respective roster.

He turned down a one year deal for $13.3M with the Cardinals. That means he basically is getting less than $20M for 2014-15. I have to think he could have done better by taking the Cardinal's offer and staying where he has had success.
    I would have to think long and hard about keeping Boras as my agent. For a guy who was considered one of the best arms on the FA market it doesn't make sense for him to sign one week before the season begins.

I think with Lohse its better to walk away one season too soon than 2 too late. I think he is probably a number 3 starter on good teams and Milwaukee's #2 but I don't know how much longer he keeps it up. I can see a slight regression this season but a steeper one in the years to follow.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Even 2008 and 2007, most guys are probably hitting AAA or just their first year in the Majors and are still young.

Adam McCalvy ‏@AdamMcCalvy: Lohse gets $4mm in 2013 w/ $7mm deferred to '16-'18, then $11mm in each of '14 and '15
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

No. He's a 34 year old pitcher who the world seems to think was lucky to have the great success he's had over the least two years. $33 million guaranteed for 3 years of work is better than $13.3 million guaranteed* for one year of work.

This makes Boras look like a genius.

[*Actually, I don't think qualifying offers are even guaranteed. I think teams are able to cut them in spring training and pay only one month of severance; but maybe those of you who know the CBA better can correct me if I'm wrong].
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think he is probably a number 3 starter on good teams and Milwaukee's #2 but I don't know how much longer he keeps it up. I can see a slight regression this season but a steeper one in the years to follow.
    By definition, he was a #1 starter on the Cards last year. He was their Opening Day starter and also pitched their first playoff game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    By definition, he was a #1 starter on the Cards last year. He was their Opening Day starter and also pitched their first playoff game.
    I am not sure anyone actually uses where he starts in the rotation as "what number pitcher he is".

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    You're right about the draft being a crap shoot but the way the Cards have been drafting the past couple of years, having multiple first round picks is good. Their first round pick last year Wacha, for example, is close to being MLB ready right now. Miller will make an impact this year as a starter and Wong just needs some seasoning and will probably take 2B full time next year or even half way through this year.

I get a sense that the draft has become more and more important now in MLB. With the advanced stats and sabermetrics, there is more certainty about top draft picks now than there were even 10 years ago.

EDIT: The Cards just named Shelby Miller as the 5th starter. I wasn't sure until now.
    MLB did a great job revamping the draft with pool money, slotted amounts and the revised FA compensation.

Prior to the new setup, losing a draft pick for signing a FA had ZERO impact. A club could draft a 1st round talent bound for college in a late round, and offer him first round money. So, the new system closes that loophole, which is ultimately great for teams like the Cards and Reds, who would never be able to spend on the draft like the Yankees and Rangers used to.

I also like the fact that only the top teir FAs like Lohse cost a draft pick. There was no reason to make it more difficult for the mediocre FAs to find a job. A lot of former "Type A" FAs were not really impact players, and were on the decline. I'm glad it's easier for them to find a job now.

All in all, great job by Bud. But yea, I agree with you, under the new system the draft compensation is much more valuable, and the Cards have done a great job leveraging the draft recently.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

If I'm Lohse, I like the Brewers deal better than a one year deal for 13.3.
    Lohse is getting to the age (34) where it's going to be hard for him to maintain this level of production. It's possible, but the way I see it, this was Lohse's last big chance to cash in.

Boros did ok for him. 11 million year.. Bourn is only 30, in the prime ages, and only got 12 million/year. Granted, Bourn got 4 years, but not many clubs are giving FA pitchers more than a 3 year deal now. (Which is smart, especially when the pitcher is in his mid - 30's).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I am not sure anyone actually uses where he starts in the rotation as "what number pitcher he is".
    Us grumpy old timers do...

It shows who the manager thinks his #1 guy is

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Us grumpy old timers do...

It shows who the manager thinks his #1 guy is
    Being a managers #1 guy doesn't mean much.

Being a managers #1 guy doesn't mean much.
    other then when he gets used...which matters a lot.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Turn Off Ads?