Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Grantland's Assesment of the NL Central

Grantland's Assesment of the NL Central

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...eri-nl-central

Lots of interesting stuff here, but this quote stuck out to me:

"Center field could be considerably uglier, with Choo a virtual lock to be one of the league's worst at that position"

Granted, you shouldn't take spring training performance to be a reliable indicator of what will happen during the season, but nothing we've seen from Choo would suggest he's going be that awful.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Grantland's Assesment of the NL Central

Plenty of success and failure stories in MLB of guys changing positions.

I like to consider the players' self-driven work ethic to improve his fielding. Choo seems to be very driven. He may not be Willie Mays, but I think he'll far from suck.

everyone wishes the Astros were still there to kick around.
    Quoted for truth
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Thanks, good stuff.

Two points:

1. I doubt Choo, even if he plays as expected, costs the Reds two wins with his defense. He simply won't play enough in CF to do so. He'll play LF and RF in the 50+ games when Ludwick and Bruce are rested, and likely either replaced or moved to LF in the late innings. Stubbs was outstanding last year defensively, so it will be a drop, but not by much.

2. I see no reason to think Arroyo will revert back to his 2011 production. That's really bad analysis. Arroyo was sick, and last season pretty much erased any doubts about Arroyo, imo. I do think there are big doubts about Cueto and Bailey repeating their 2012 production, and I would have focused on that instead.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Count me as a guy who thinks theres a real chance that by mid-season, Heisey is playing most nights in CF...

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    Count me as a guy who thinks theres a real chance that by mid-season, Heisey is playing most nights in CF...
    Due to Ludwick taking up a spot on the pine?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

choo gonna make all star game

I see no reason to expect a meltdown from Arroyo (other than the fact that any pitcher can get hurt).. Arroyo has already learned to pitch with less of a fastball. If his health holds up, he should be close to what he was last year.

In all honestly, if I had to bet on any pitcher repeating his numbers from last year, I might take Arroyo. Not a slight on any of the other guys, but Arroyo is Mr Consistent, other than 2011.

I can't see Choo being a disaster in CF either.. Sorry, I don't believe the defensive stats that said he sucked as a RF last year. He's a good athlete. He won't win a gold glove, but he'll be fine in the GAB CF.

I do agree that Frasier is a downgrade to Rolen's defense, but I don't think it will be crippling.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    Who do think he will be traded to?

11. Likes:

757690 (03-25-2013),KySteveH (03-26-2013),PuffyPig (03-25-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (03-25-2013)

What I like about the article is that, according to Grantland, even if everything breaks wrong, they still have a great shot at the playoffs.

13. Likes:

RedEye (03-25-2013)

why does it always seem like really good hitters averages projections are off? 300 seems low for votto.

Grantland is pretty tough on their projections. They have ZERO Cardinals hitters batting over .300, when 3 hit over that and 3 where close in .290+.

Turn Off Ads?