Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's Calling Pitches?

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Re: Who's Calling Pitches?

On which percentage of pitches does the pitcher shake the catcher off? Doesn't ultimate responsibility for which pitch is thrown rest on the shoulders of the person throwing the ball?
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Catchers call their own games. I have never ran into a catcher in the minor or big leagues (including Mes) who does not call their own game. Catchers looking into the dugout (what Doug mentioned) is when a runner is on base. They look into the dugout to get a sign to pick off, pitch out, hold, slide step, ect. It has nothing to do with which pitch to throw.

This thread is full of things that are being presented as fact, that really aren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

5. Likes:

RadfordVA (03-26-2013)

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I noticed when most threads get into blind Dusty blaming they tend to go nowhere
    I took the blaming Dusty as tongue in cheek. Pretty sure that was how it was intended.
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Actually, the pitcher calls every pitch. He's the one with the ball. If he doesn't want to throw a pitch the catcher called, he'll shake him off until he gets the pitch he wants. If there's a serious disagreement, the catcher goes to the mound.

Maybe there are pitchers who just throw whatever the catcher calls, but it's still on the pitcher to call each and every pitch.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    I took the blaming Dusty as tongue in cheek. Pretty sure that was how it was intended.
    Yep. Your humor sensor is still running well. No need for pills to make it work.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Catchers call their own games. I have never ran into a catcher in the minor or big leagues (including Mes) who does not call their own game. Catchers looking into the dugout (what Doug mentioned) is when a runner is on base. They look into the dugout to get a sign to pick off, pitch out, hold, slide step, ect. It has nothing to do with which pitch to throw.
    This just isn't accurate.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Do we know that any of them don't like throwing to him?
    Yes.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Something completely out of his control?
    Would you feel more comfortable putting your career on the line by throwing to the guy who can determine what pitch to throw on his own or the guy who has to look into the dugout to find out what pitch to choose?
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Yes.
    Links with quotes?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Hanigan often looks to see if they want a specific pitch called. If they don't, it's up to he and the pitcher.

Or at least that's what has happened in the past.

Mesoraco had all pitches called from the dugout (as did Hanigan his rookie season and Hernandez his first season with the Reds). Hanigan and Hernandez both called their own pitches for the most part in 2010 and 2011.

Or at least this is what a former Red beat writer told me when I texted him to ask.
    Yeah. I'd be nervous throwing to a guy who can't call his own pitches. I'd easily prefer Hanigan over Mez.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Would you feel more comfortable putting your career on the line by throwing to the guy who can determine what pitch to throw on his own or the guy who has to look into the dugout to find out what pitch to choose?
    Either instance you have someone other than the pitcher calling the game.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    This just isn't accurate.
    Really? What is then, sir?

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Really? What is then, sir?

Coaches call the game from the bullpen. Not all the time, as it depends on the catcher and the organization.

-The Insider-

The bullpen? Really? Dugout, maybe, but definitely not the bullpen.

Turn Off Ads?