Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who's Calling Pitches?

Re: Who's Calling Pitches?

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    The bullpen? Really? Dugout, maybe, but definitely not the bullpen.
    "Bullpen" was a typo. Meant dugout.

And now you've gone from the catchers "always" calling the game to the the dugout "maybe" calling the game.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Let's say coaches wanted to call every pitch.

Is it against the rules for the catcher (or anyone else for that matter) to wear a radio/earpiece?

Take it one step farther....what about something like the google glasses. The catcher could be looking at the hitters charts while playing.

Quote Originally Posted by adampad View Post
    Let's say coaches wanted to call every pitch.

Is it against the rules for the catcher (or anyone else for that matter) to wear a radio/earpiece?

Take it one step farther....what about something like the google glasses. The catcher could be looking at the hitters charts while playing.
    Yes, no computers allowed in the dugout either

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yes, no computers allowed in the dugout either
    Which is ridiculous to be honest. Instead we get binders full of information each day. That is so much more practical.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Which is ridiculous to be honest. Instead we get binders full of information each day. That is so much more practical.
    When the robots take over we'll have computers in the dugouts, the end of purpose pitches and on base percentage for everyone!!

When the robots take over we'll have computers in the dugouts, the end of purpose pitches and on base percentage for everyone!!
    Instead of stealing signs teams will try to hack each other's computer.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Instead of stealing signs teams will try to hack each other's computer.
    Nothing is stopping them from doing that right now. Bug their dugout. Have an ear piece. The NFL allows radio communication. There are strict rules in place to protect the other team from listening in on that.

I just don't understand why each coach/manager can't have a tablet with all of the stuff that is in their binders on it. Instead, they create a new binder for every series. Tons of waste going on.

Nothing is stopping them from doing that right now. Bug their dugout. Have an ear piece. The NFL allows radio communication. There are strict rules in place to protect the other team from listening in on that.

I just don't understand why each coach/manager can't have a tablet with all of the stuff that is in their binders on it. Instead, they create a new binder for every series. Tons of waste going on.
    What's the average age of a baseball manager?

You do realize that a LOT of us grew up and had a good part of adulthood without a hand held device, I am a Systems Analyst and I didn't touch a computer until I was 30. The brain is a wonderful thing, eventually tablets will find their way to the dugout but considering that the IPAD is just 3 years old expecting a wave of change in that department is a Waiting for Godot moment for those who think it should be going on now.

As far as what the NFL does I could care less, that's a back n forth sport, nothing like the greatest game ever invented.

What's the average age of a baseball manager?

You do realize that a LOT of us grew up and had a good part of adulthood without a hand held device, I am a Systems Analyst and I didn't touch a computer until I was 30. The brain is a wonderful thing, eventually tablets will find their way to the dugout but considering that the IPAD is just 3 years old expecting a wave of change in that department is a Waiting for Godot moment for those who think it should be going on now.

As far as what the NFL does I could care less, that's a back n forth sport, nothing like the greatest game ever invented.
    I don't care how old they are. If you are working anywhere in the world and the company wants to bring in some new technology, is "I am too old" an excuse for not using it? You either learn to use it or you get let go.

And let's be real honest here, they can set that thing up so when he turns it on, the only thing that even runs is "The Reds Notebook". I am not saying that he needs to write the program. Just that he needs to be able to tap on the correct tab inside an app.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    On which percentage of pitches does the pitcher shake the catcher off? Doesn't ultimate responsibility for which pitch is thrown rest on the shoulders of the person throwing the ball?
    One would think.

I just don't see the wisdom in relying on anyone in the dugout to call pitches.

It's not like they have a good vantage point to know what's been working or what might work. Pitchers and catchers do.

I don't care how old they are. If you are working anywhere in the world and the company wants to bring in some new technology, is "I am too old" an excuse for not using it? You either learn to use it or you get let go.

And let's be real honest here, they can set that thing up so when he turns it on, the only thing that even runs is "The Reds Notebook". I am not saying that he needs to write the program. Just that he needs to be able to tap on the correct tab inside an app.
    Of course you don't care, you want it and you want it now. I get that... but the fact is the game is slow to change and the sooner you realize that the less frustration you'll have to endure.

13. Likes:

919191 (03-27-2013)

Of course you don't care, you want it and you want it now. I get that... but the fact is the game is slow to change and the sooner you realize that the less frustration you'll have to endure.
    Oh I realize it. I just think it is stupid. And I am going to complain about it.

When I was younger, before I got contacts, my eyesight wasn't the best. I would always just shake yes to the catcher but didn't always know what the sign was. I would pitch by feel anyway and sometimes change the pitch mid-windup. Fortunately, for the catcher my strengths were accuracy and subtle movement but not speed. No catcher ever complained to me when they were expecting a fastball and got a 3/4 slurve instead.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    "Bullpen" was a typo. Meant dugout.

And now you've gone from the catchers "always" calling the game to the the dugout "maybe" calling the game.
    I said maybe as in the dugout being a more plausible answer than bullpen. I am still confident in my knowledge as I have actually been in a dugout multiple occasions during a game and never seeing a manager call a pitch...
    Last edited by cinreds21; 03-27-2013 at 11:46 PM.

Turn Off Ads?