Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SIAP--ptiching rotation order?

SIAP--ptiching rotation order?

Obviously Cueto is 1 and Leake is 5...have they said yet the order for Latos, Bailey Arroyo??? I assume Latos 2 but wasnt sure...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: SIAP--ptiching rotation order?

Latos is for sure pitching in #2 slot. They just released the order last week or this weekend. I think it's the same as last year. Cueto, Latos, Arroyo, Bailey, Leake.

I wonder if the catching assignments could have an effect on the rotation order?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I wonder if the catching assignments could have an effect on the rotation order?
    One would think...have they names mes number 2 yet?? I fnot, he never really had a chance at it!!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Okay, I'm trying....but I've got no clue. What in the world is SIAP?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

It has been announced that it is the same as last year: Cueto, Latos, Arroyo, Bailey and Leake. Which is highly disappointing from a catching perspective as I believe it once against completely hinders the development of Mesoraco's bat having him sit 3 and 4 days in a row (off days could lead to 4 days in a row of sitting for him) since I can't imagine he is going to catch anyone but "his guys".

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It has been announced that it is the same as last year: Cueto, Latos, Arroyo, Bailey and Leake. Which is highly disappointing from a catching perspective as I believe it once against completely hinders the development of Mesoraco's bat having him sit 3 and 4 days in a row (off days could lead to 4 days in a row of sitting for him) since I can't imagine he is going to catch anyone but "his guys".
    If Mesoraco's bat shows up this year, Dusty will play him. I'm not a fan of Dusty's gameday decision making or roster management, but credit where credit is due, the guy can run a clubhouse. If Mesoraco lives up to the hype, I have confidence Dusty will sit down with the pitching staff and tell them the kid needs to play.

As far as the rotation goes, I like Homer in the 4th spot. It breaks up the soft-tossers in the rotation.

9. Likes:

redsmetz (03-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Okay, I'm trying....but I've got no clue. What in the world is SIAP?
    "Sorry if already posted"

11. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (03-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    If Mesoraco's bat shows up this year, Dusty will play him.
    Chicken and the egg.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    If Mesoraco's bat shows up this year, Dusty will play him. I'm not a fan of Dusty's gameday decision making or roster management, but credit where credit is due, the guy can run a clubhouse. If Mesoraco lives up to the hype, I have confidence Dusty will sit down with the pitching staff and tell them the kid needs to play.

As far as the rotation goes, I like Homer in the 4th spot. It breaks up the soft-tossers in the rotation.
    I have said it before and will say it again, it is tough for anyone to have their bat "show up" sitting 3 and 4 days in a row and when you are elected to play, it isn't with any kindness shown as to which pitcher you will face who pitches to your strengths as a hitter, but rather you face who happens to be going this day because you are catching this pitcher.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Off days will not matter, as the Reds did not skip a starter very often simply because there was an off day. Leake still got 30 starts.

Plus I believe Mess will start as much as his bat suggests he should,

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Off days will not matter, as the Reds did not skip a starter very often simply because there was an off day. Leake still got 30 starts.

Also, can we stop acting like players don't develop because of sporadic playing time. TONS of young players get into the bigs as a back-up role player that has increased playing time based on their performance. Mes is hardly unique to the learning curve that he is being provided.

16. Likes:

mth123 (03-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

I am not saying they will skip a starter. Let's say that Cueto starts on Monday. Then there is an off day on Tuesday. Latos starts Wednesday. Arroyo starts Thursday. Bailey starts Friday. That means Monday-Thursday, four days in a row, Mesoraco didn't play.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
    Also, can we stop acting like players don't develop because of sporadic playing time. TONS of young players get into the bigs as a back-up role player that has increased playing time based on their performance. Mes is hardly unique to the learning curve that he is being provided.
    Those guys get pinch hitting chances when they don't get starts. They get starts against pitchers who are supposed to pitch to their strengths. Mesoraco doesn't get those as a back up catcher. The comparison isn't really even.

Which is highly disappointing from a catching perspective as I believe it once against completely hinders the development of Mesoraco's bat having him sit 3 and 4 days in a row (off days could lead to 4 days in a row of sitting for him) since I can't imagine he is going to catch anyone but "his guys".
    On the bright side if this is the way catchers will be handling pitchers, I prefer his 2 days playing come back to back then split up. Players say they like being in there consecutive games in a row to get in a groove. At least this way Hanigan and Mesoraco will have that, on a very very limited basis. Better than splitting both guys up in my opinion.

I would personally like to see the catching duties mixed up on occasion. However if that isn't in the cards I prefer this 3 then 2 method as opposed to a 2-1-1-1.

Those guys get pinch hitting chances when they don't get starts. They get starts against pitchers who are supposed to pitch to their strengths. Mesoraco doesn't get those as a back up catcher. The comparison isn't really even.
    I don't think the potential extra 1-2 extra plate appearances during a week is going to make a material difference in the grand scheme of things. In the end, the same type of routine and preperation is going to be required when given sporadic playing time. At some point, any young player needs to at least be semi-productive with the chances they get, especially on a contending team.

20. Likes:

jimbo (03-26-2013)

Turn Off Ads?