Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Beautiful photo of Crosley Field, circa 1969

Re: Beautiful photo of Crosley Field, circa 1969

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    So what did you guys think of Crosley - and other parks like it - when you went to your first game there? Did you think they were kind of dumps because of their advanced age or were you in awe of being in a big league ballpark? Nowdays kids go to these new parks which seem to have something for everyone and are somewhat antiseptic. I can see a modern day kid enjoy the new parks because of the amenities but I could also see a 5-6 year old kid back in the 60s possibly be put off by the lack of amenities and clenliness.
    I loved the grime, the cigar smoke, the off white color, the concrete shellaqued with years of pop, beer and tobacco, Crosley was everything I thought the old ballpark should be. The contrast with the crisply manicured, verdant green field was a vision I will never forget.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Likes:

Roy Tucker (03-28-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I loved the grime, the cigar smoke, the off white color, the concrete shellaqued with years of pop, beer and tobacco, Crosley was everything I thought the old ballpark should be. The contrast with the crisply manicured, verdant green field was a vision I will never forget.
    This -- plus Riverfront that followed -- what a lifeless plastic thing that was.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

The summer of '69 was the summer before my senior year in HS. I'd been to Crosley many times starting in 1964. The only other ball park I"d been to was Cleveland Municipal Stadium which was a hole too. But all the parks then were on the nasty side but that was all you knew. Lots of cigar smoke, beer, and the heckling was fierce. But by then, Riverfront was being built and the was a huge buzz abot that and the team. The Reds were on the cusp of big things. But the country was in turmoil then too. Iot was a tumultuous time.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?