Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beautiful photo of Crosley Field, circa 1969

Re: Beautiful photo of Crosley Field, circa 1969

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Tolan go to the bathroom? Where's the center fielder?
    Because of they way Tolan's career ended with the Reds he was offically taken out of all Reds Photographs as of 1975.

I have no idea BTW.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Likes:

919191 (03-27-2013), JayBruceFan (03-27-2013), RANDY IN INDY (03-26-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Over on www.baseball-fever.com, there is a 22 page thread on Crosley Field with tons of truly great photos. On the last page, there are links to the album the picture in the base note came from.

I'd put a better link in, but my phone isn't very good for that. You have to tegister therr, but itss free.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    You have to tegister therr, but itss free.
    Someone check on Roy, I think he turned into a reptile while writing this note.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-27-2013), 919191 (03-27-2013), Always Red (03-26-2013), JayBruceFan (03-27-2013), RichRed (03-27-2013), Tom Servo (03-26-2013)

How about those on deck circles... I wouldn't be afraid to take a couple practice swings during the game...

Quote Originally Posted by JB12 View Post
    How about those on deck circles... I wouldn't be afraid to take a couple practice swings during the game...
    Those are "fungo" circles.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Someone check on Roy, I think he turned into a reptile while writing this note.
    why yesss, roy is fine.... isss sssoomething wrong?

(my big thumbs and my little phone keyboard don't agree on what they want to type)

Pay attention to the open sky

10. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (03-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    I swear if you told me that picture was 1964 or 65 I would say those three kids at the rail were me and my brothers. Looks just like us.

Is left field sloped high towards the fence, or is just the line that makes it look that way? Looks like a light hit grounder down the line would roll back to the field....
    Great pics, thanks for sahring!
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

I'm pretty sure I have read that Crosley field did have an outfield that sloped up slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by leeech86 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I have read that Crosley field did have an outfield that sloped up slightly.
    It did.

I have always wondered if it was designed that way intentionally or if when construction was underway it was something they couldn't fix or just didn't want to.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    It did.

I have always wondered if it was designed that way intentionally or if when construction was underway it was something they couldn't fix or just didn't want to.
    I got this from Wikipedia when they weren't looking. On a personal note: my father's company had season tickets and so we got to attend a good amount of games during the summer months. My brother and I loved to go stand down the left field line in hopes someone had to go up that terrace. Some of the visiting left fielders had more than a little trouble navigating up that terrace to the wall. My brother caught a long foul ball off the bat of Johnny Bench while standing down the line in left.

As previously noted, Crosley Field was usually among the smallest parks in Major League Baseball, both in seating capacity and playing field size.

Probably the most famous (or notorious) feature of Crosley Field otherwise was the fifteen-degree left field incline, called "the terrace". Terraces were not unusual in old ballparks. Most of them were constructed as a way to make up the difference between field level and street level on a sloping block. And most of them were leveled out ("Duffy's Cliff" at Fenway Park and Left Field bump at Wrigley Field are two examples) or covered by bleachers (Ebbets Field for example).

The story of the Crosley Terrace is the reverse of the long-departed "Duffy's Cliff". There was no terrace in evidence during the ballpark's days as the Palace, which had a fairly high wall whose base was below street level. The terrace came about when the new ballpark was constructed for 1912. The club received permission to expand the playing field, by way of the city closing the eastbound lane of York Street. Instead of building a very high wall and retaining a level playing field, the club built a somewhat shorter wall with its base at roughly street level, with the sloping terrace making up the difference in grade.

As baseball boomed during the 1920s, many clubs built additional seating in their once-spacious outfield areas. The outfield area at Findlay and Western was already small, so building inner bleachers was not practical, and the Crosley terrace persisted and became one of the park's trademarks. It was used, as Duffy's Cliff had been, for temporary spectator seating, in the days when standing-room-only crowds would be allowed at the fringes of the field behind ropes. The terrace also served as a "warning track", in lieu of the more typical dirt or gravel warning tracks that began to appear at most other ballparks by the 1950s. The slope was at least as much warning to an outfielder as a flat track was. Although the terrace was most prominent in left field, it extended clear across the outfield.

The Crosley terrace was nowhere near as extreme as the terrace at Nashville's Sulphur Dell, but it still frustrated many outfielders, mostly left fielders and mostly from visiting teams. Babe Ruth was victimized by it on May 28, 1935, playing for the Boston Braves in his brief final season. He was headed for the Hall of Fame, but one day as Ruth was headed up the Crosley terrace, he fell down on his face.
    The terrace in 1946.

Frank Robinson, however, loved it. In the early 1990s, when the Baltimore Orioles were planning their future home, Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Robinson, an Orioles executive and one-time Reds star, unsuccessfully lobbied to get the team to install a terrace in left field.

When the Houston Astros' new facility, Enron Field, was being built, a prominent addition to the field was a 30-degree center field incline with a flagpole, which was dubbed "Tal's Hill" in reference to its proponent, Astros executive Tal Smith.

To commemorate their Crosley Field years, the main entrance of the Cincinnati Reds' new park, Great American Ball Park, features a monument called "Crosley Terrace" that features inclines and statues of Crosley-era stars Joe Nuxhall, Ernie Lombardi, Ted Kluszewski, and Frank Robinson. References to the terrace are also visible. This monument was designed by architecture firm Populous and sculptor Tom Tsuchiya.
    Last edited by texasdave; 03-27-2013 at 11:26 AM.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-27-2013), RANDY IN INDY (03-27-2013)

The terrace was there before the field, which was located on an old brickyard. So, rather than fill in, they just went with the terrain.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    The terrace was there before the field, which was located on an old brickyard. So, rather than fill in, they just went with the terrain.
    Yep, and there were quite a few parks back in the day that also had terraces built too. Can't point out enough that Redland Field had a home plate that was about 50 feet back behind the one in these pictures.

The ball was dead and the park gave up a few HR's a year, there wasn't a ball hit over the fence there until 1921. The terrace rarely came in play there because the ball didn't reach there.

Of course Babe Ruth falling down on it was the terraces most infamous moment

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    The famous Crosley Terrace, last of the old terraces (which gave way to warning tracks) is still there, even today. It's the slope going away from the camera picture.

For those interested, this pic and the one I posted earlier came from this great web site: http://www.crosley-field.com/

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-27-2013), JB12 (03-27-2013), RANDY IN INDY (03-27-2013), top6 (03-27-2013)

Turn Off Ads?