Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beautiful photo of Crosley Field, circa 1969

Re: Beautiful photo of Crosley Field, circa 1969

Pretty cool, and thnaks for the info everyone! I had heard of Crosley Terrace but never realized what it really was.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    The famous Crosley Terrace, last of the old terraces (which gave way to warning tracks) is still there, even today. It's the slope going away from the camera picture.

For those interested, this pic and the one I posted earlier came from this great web site: http://www.crosley-field.com/
    That's amazing, and the tour on the web site looks cool. I may go down there with my mom and dad sometime to do that. Thanks!

4. Likes:

Always Red (03-27-2013)

Well, this is amazing and is giving me chills as I sit here typing this. The photo that I originally posted was from August 31, 1969. That day, along with my Father, my Grandfather, and my Uncle, I road from Huntington, WV to Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio to see my first baseball game, the only one that I was ever to see in Crosley Field. Reds vs. Cardinals. Jim Merritt vs Bob Gibson and a huge Reds win! Unbelievable that I was in the stands, watching that batting practice that is pictured. I was sitting directly behind home plate in the upper deck. This is just amazing!

Here are some more pictures from that sight of that day!

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...d-Field/page22
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

6. Likes:

Always Red (03-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Well, this is amazing and is giving me chills as I sit here typing this. The photo that I originally posted was from August 31, 1969. That day, along with my Father, my Grandfather, and my Uncle, I road from Huntington, WV to Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio to see my first baseball game, the only one that I was ever to see in Crosley Field. Reds vs. Cardinals. Jim Merritt vs Bob Gibson and a huge Reds win! Unbelievable that I was in the stands, watching that batting practice that is pictured. I was sitting directly behind home plate in the upper deck. This is just amazing!

I was exactly one year and two days old.

Your an old guy Randy
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I was exactly one year and two days old.

Your an old guy Randy
    Yep! But I still feel young!

John Wooden

Was born in May. 1968, so I was over a year old in August of '69. My mom has many fond memories of Crosley Field and seeing games there. She wouldn't bring any of the babies to a game so I didn't officially see a Reds game until the Riverfront years.

Took my mom to the Reds HOF a few years ago and she let one of the employees know who "Mr Peanut" was in the model of Crosley they have on display - that got us a nice guided tour around the place!
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Funny- I looked at that photo a good long time to make sure I wasn't in the stands. A neighbor and long time Post sports writer took me to my one and only game at Crosley that same year in late summer and the photo shows precisely where we sat. For a moment, I thought I recognized one of those toe headed guys.

The thing I remember the most about that game was the crazy, plexiglass backstop. Every time the ball hit it, the thing let out a low, reverberating, "Bong".
    I thought it was weird then and it still strikes me as a ridiculous idea.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Funny- I looked at that photo a good long time to make sure I wasn't in the stands. A neighbor and long time Post sports writer took me to my one and only game at Crosley that same year in late summer and the photo shows precisely where we sat. For a moment, I thought I recognized one of those toe headed guys.

The thing I remember the most about that game was the crazy, plexiglass backstop. Every time the ball hit it, the thing let out a low, reverberating, "Bong".
    I thought it was weird then and it still strikes me as a ridiculous idea.
    I was 8 years old that year, and lucky enough to have a dad and grandpa who loved baseball, and also lucky enough to remember the sights and smells of Crosley.

I do remember that plexiglass "bong" as well as the obstructed view seats we always seemed to have. Grandpa lived just on the other side of Bald Knob, in South Fairmount, so it didn't take long to get there, and it was all inner city blight about that time. There was a huge gravel parking lot outside of LF, and we would come in through a gate out there. Once you entered Crosley, the green of the grass was so bright, especially at night, that it nearly took your breath away, especially if you were 8 years old. It made up for all the gray you saw getting there. The smell of Ibold cigars was everywhere, and they sold them at the park, right along with peanuts, pop and beer. The Reds would enter the field from their clubhouse from the stands on the 3B line, and if you got there early enough, the nicer guys would sign your scorecard and even talk a little bit. The men's room had one gigantic, long urinal- it was the first I had seen like that, and wanted one for our house. Mom disagreed! I was amazed that you could just eat food and throw the wrappers on the ground, and was encouraged to do so. It seemed kind of rude, and weirdly, to this day, I clean up my area when I leave, except for the peanut shells.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane, to all who have contributed to this thread. I'd love for some of our even more "seasoned vets" to chime in with their memories.

12. Likes:

Roy Tucker (03-28-2013), Spitball (03-28-2013)

I wasn't born until 74 and that was in NC so never got to see Crosley. My dad has shared many stories with me though-he was in Pharmacy School in Cincy and working at a drug store somewhere near there. Talked of getting off and going to Crosley after and them letting him walk in for last few innings. Also that Klu owned a bar and he would go drinking with him many times when he got off work.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

That was the day before I was born.

I remember as an 8 year old, thinking to myself, "It's kinda weird that they have pink seats down the left field line. I wonder if that's a girls only section?"

John Wooden

So what did you guys think of Crosley - and other parks like it - when you went to your first game there? Did you think they were kind of dumps because of their advanced age or were you in awe of being in a big league ballpark? Nowdays kids go to these new parks which seem to have something for everyone and are somewhat antiseptic. I can see a modern day kid enjoy the new parks because of the amenities but I could also see a 5-6 year old kid back in the 60s possibly be put off by the lack of amenities and clenliness.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    So what did you guys think of Crosley - and other parks like it - when you went to your first game there? Did you think they were kind of dumps because of their advanced age or were you in awe of being in a big league ballpark? Nowdays kids go to these new parks which seem to have something for everyone and are somewhat antiseptic. I can see a modern day kid enjoy the new parks because of the amenities but I could also see a 5-6 year old kid back in the 60s possibly be put off by the lack of amenities and clenliness.
    My experience was Tiger Stadium, the year of the 68 riots, we used to drive in from north of the city and yes.... at 8 Mile we'd lock our car doors (no seat belts though) once in the city we'd pay to park in some old guys front yard.

The city was a mess, the park looked old and was a dirty white, inside it smelled like hot dogs (boiled) and Strohs beer. The grass was G R E E N and the faces around were rougher than the ones in my suburban neighborhood, men still wore hats and the bathroom was disgusting humid and smelly with the longest and rustiest trough in the world.

I still hate urinals because of that place.

The RF grandstand loomed over Al Kaline and the Tigers uniforms looked electric white against the green field.

It was magic

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-31-2013)

Crosley Field was a dream come true. I was at a Major League Baseball park seeing the guys I idolized. It was electric. I was overwhelmed. Smitty's band playing before the game, organ music between innings, the greenest grass I had ever seen, the smell of cigar smoke, roasted peanuts, hot dogs and beer, the loud pop of the glove and crack of the bat as I had never heard before. As woy said, "it was magic."

John Wooden

20. Likes:

texasdave (03-28-2013)

I had no thought of amenities. I had been in an outhouse before. None of that mattered. It was a different time.

John Wooden

Turn Off Ads?