Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lohse to Brewers

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Re: Lohse to Brewers

3 years for $33 M --- + lose the 17th draft pick & the pool money for it-- I'd pass on that!
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

4. Likes:

LexRedsFan (03-25-2013),mbgrayson (03-25-2013),Spider Tre (03-26-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (03-25-2013)

Finally our long national nightmare is over

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Great deal for Lohse. I was secretly hoping he would have to settle for a 1yr 10MM (or less) deal.

On another note how about the Vernon Wells trade? An "untradeable contract" has now changed hands twice in the last 2 years. Sometimes fans no nothing.

I still can't believe the Jays got rid of it without sending cash or taking back a similar contract, but LAA will be paying most of it this time so it's nowhere near as stunning.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I still can't believe the Jays got rid of it without sending cash or taking back a similar contract, but LAA will be paying most of it this time so it's nowhere near as stunning.
    They essentially were just paid 10 million dollars for Vernon Wells. Nowhere near as stunning, but still unbelievable.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

My opinion changed more on Lohse in the past couple years than perhaps any player. I'm convinced his problems which for years caused me to throw things at the TV and refer to him him as "the biggest lohser" were the result of the medical issues (compartment syndrome) which have apparently been solved by surgery. After 2 years of ERAs near the top of baseball (since the surgery), with a below average defense behind him, I think his critics are overthinking things. If the physical says he's healthy, I'm pretty sure this is a bargain.
    Stick to your guns.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Lohse is going from St Louis (0.92 HR park factor) to Milwaukee (1.61 HR park factor). Expect plenty of regression based on that alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    3 years for $33 M --- + lose the 17th draft pick & the pool money for it-- I'd pass on that!
    Wait... does this mean the cards get another 1st round pick.. or does it just disappear?

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    They essentially were just paid 10 million dollars for Vernon Wells. Nowhere near as stunning, but still unbelievable.
    Apparently, that's partly explained by a luxury tax loophole, the contract goes by the average annual value of the whole contract, not just what's left on it, then what the Angels pay toward it gets subtracted. So, Wells counts for $18M a year even though he's getting $21, and the Yankees can take most of the payment from LAA toward it in 2014, so he could count a lot against the luxury tax limit this season, when they don't really care, and count 0 or even a negative amount against it in 2014, when they really want to get under the limit. None of which explains why they'd pay any real money to get Vernon Wells, or want to give him playing time over any random cheap OF, though.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I was wondering when Milwaukee was going to address the series of question marks known as their starting rotation.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Brewers just went from a cellar dweller competitor to a third
    place competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Lohse is going from St Louis (0.92 HR park factor) to Milwaukee (1.61 HR park factor). Expect plenty of regression based on that alone.
    Agreed. Lohse hasn't pitched that much at Miller Park, but over the last three seasons, here are his numbers there:

16.0 IP, 3 games started, 0-2, 6.75 ERA, 18 hits, 1 HR, 8 BBs allowed, 9 Ks.

I predict that this contract will be seen as a disaster for the Brew Crew before 2013 is over....
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I agree he'll probably regress, but keep in mind, the same was said about Latos coming to Cincy and he fared pretty well last season. Latos is certainly much more talented, younger, and strikes out more people than Lohse, but the transition might not be that drastic. Heck, he's even staying in the same division.
    Just call me Legs

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    Wait... does this mean the cards get another 1st round pick.. or does it just disappear?
    Yes

Cardinals draft factory continues, lol

Turn Off Ads?