Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: (Official) Strong Opinions Thread

Re: (Official) Strong Opinions Thread

I strongly believe that anytime you put "Official" in parentheses, it's not actually official.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-30-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Fact

* The Reds will not miss Drew Stubbs
    * Baseball discussion will not be banned from Redszone
    * There will be thread titled "Why Is Cozart Batting 2nd?"
    * There will be a "Fire Dusty Baker" thread
    * I will be "quoted" at least once this season
    * There won't be an Elvis sighting at GABP
    * FCB will embrace optimism and be reinstated
    * nate is gonna send GAC another bottle of Sazerac Rye
    * WAR will not be deemed irrelevant
    * The Game Threads will explode
    * "What's Wrong With Choo?"
    * It will be revealed that Raisor is the illegitimate child of Yoda and Princess Leia
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

5. Likes:

remdog (04-01-2013),Revering4Blue (04-02-2013)

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    I believe MLB games should be played without a fence. Would add more excitement to the game. You would be able to tell exactly how far Giancarlo and others are hitting these long distance shots without the stands getting in the way. We would accurately know the longest homeruns hit. Would also not have to worry about people admiring homers since they are gonna have to get going. Be fun to watch Prince have to run out those blasts to get triples or homeruns out of them. They say triple is most exciting play and we would certainly have more of those. Outfield arms would become much more of a needed tool. Crazy, will never happen but would love to watch some games like this with MLB caliber talent.
    They were talking about just this very thing on Effectively Wild last week.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I see that you're good friends with Walter White
    He is the one who knocks.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Fact

* "What's Wrong With Choo?"
    What Choo Talkin About Willis?

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    They were talking about just this very thing on Effectively Wild last week.
    Cool thanks I will have to give it a listen. Haven't listened to an episode in awhile.

Here's my strong opinions:

Fans that routinely and vociferously attack their own team and its players do not have the right to share in the communal pleasure when that team wins it all.

People that root for traditional and consistent powerhouses like the Steelers, Cards, and Yankees don't really know if they are fans or not. Until they experience something like the Lost Decade or the Post-Paul Bengals and stay with their team through all of it, they will never know.

Etymology of the word Fan is that it is a shortened form of the word fanatic, a word that means someone with such strong religious beliefs that they are considered mad or insane. I have and will continue to have FAITH in the Cincinnati Reds, despite any and all empirical evidence to the contrary. (Before you ask: Yes, this Kool-Aid is quite delicious, thank you.)

On Redszone, I prefer reading a thread that says "Chapman should be starting because he would be Better than Leake" over a thread that says "Mike Leake Sucks, Make Chapman start!!!" even though they might discuss the same exact things.

11. Likes:

Red Raindog (03-30-2013),redsmetz (03-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I strongly believe that anytime you put "Official" in parentheses, it's not actually official.
    Negative. As I mentioned in the first post, I filled out the proper forms (in triplicate)

I believe Texas, Oakland, St. Louis, and New York (AL), and perhaps Boston are/ have, in the past, sanctioned juicing their own players in the hopes of gaining a distinct advantage on the rest of baseball. And it worked.

I believe it began with Oakland, McGuire, Canseco, and pretty much the entire TLR clubhouse. It moved on to Texas (with Canseco), where ARod picked it up, then took it to New York. McGuire and TLR took it to St. Louis. Boston might also have tried it, with Clemens in the forefront.

14. Likes:

757690 (03-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I believe Texas, Oakland, St. Louis, and New York (AL), and perhaps Boston are/ have, in the past, sanctioned juicing their own players in the hopes of gaining a distinct advantage on the rest of baseball. And it worked.

I believe it began with Oakland, McGuire, Canseco, and pretty much the entire TLR clubhouse. It moved on to Texas (with Canseco), where ARod picked it up, then took it to New York. McGuire and TLR took it to St. Louis. Boston might also have tried it, with Clemens in the forefront.
    I agree with all of thise, except I don't think Clemens was juicing in Boston. It wasn't until Toronto, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Negative. As I mentioned in the first post, I filled out the proper forms (in triplicate)
    In my (official) opinion, the use of parentheses negates the officiality of the forms, however (official) they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

I will agree and add that in Oakland and St. Louis, Dave Duncan's magic had more to due with sandpaper and fingernails than pitching philosophy.

I believe that Edgar Martinez, Barry Bonds, Bob Howsam, and Charles Schulz should be in the Hall of Fame.

I believe that there is no such thing as the future; that's just a name we give to the present that hasn't happened yet. Ergo I believe that there is no such thing as destiny or a team of destiny. Teams win because of preparation (including front office preparation and planning) and execution.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I agree with all of thise, except I don't think Clemens was juicing in Boston. It wasn't until Toronto, IMO.
    Clemens was noticeably out of shape his last year in Boston, so that's probably right.

World Series or bust for this team. Sick and tired of the Reds going to the Postseason and falling flat on their face, pressure needs to be on dusty all year to succeed.

Turn Off Ads?