Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Mesoraco makes team, Olivo down or gone

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Mesoraco makes team, Olivo down or gone

I think the bigger point is that if Mes isn't going to play regularly, why are you running his service clock?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Likes:

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Numbers do lie. It is about the context.

The whole, it doesn't matter what situation he was put in line cracks me up. If Jay Bruce hit against left handers every at bat, you don't think that would matter? Or if Brandon Phillips only hit against right handers every game?

As for the Bailey slump, I don't know why it happened, but to blame it on the catcher is insane. Just like saying Bailey was nails in September because of Hanigan is insane. Bailey kills it every September for whatever reason.

I am done with this thread. I don't believe Mesoraco got a fair shake last year in how he was used and that most guys wouldn't have hit much in that scenario. I don't believe that the difference defensively between Hanigan/Mesoraco is much at all.
    I can agree that his use wasn't the greatest situation last year however I also think it is a stretch to say that most guys wouldnt have hit well in that position. Can you back that up or is it a gut feeling type?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The Reds management is basically saying to Mez, "earn it". And that's the way it's supposed to be.

Handing positions to guys simply because they were a #1 pick is beyond stupid. Look at Stubbs and how that turned out.

Hanigan is clearly better at this point. By the end of the season, if Mez makes tremendous strides, he'll earn more playing time or the full-time position.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am done with this thread. I don't believe Mesoraco got a fair shake last year in how he was used and that most guys wouldn't have hit much in that scenario. I don't believe that the difference defensively between Hanigan/Mesoraco is much at all.
    You can believe it all you want, I suppose. Opinions are like navels, after all.

Anything more than opinion, however, requires evidence.

Well, evidence suggests that Mesoraco really didn't get any extended playing time and at bats last season. It's very difficult for most players to thrive in that situation, particularly rookies. Play him or let him get regular reps in AAA.

He got almost 200 ABs last season and sucked. I'd argue he had plenty of ABs-- and most of them against bad pitching staffs-- to put up good numbers. He didn't produce offensively or defensively.

Again, why give a guy more if he puts up a line like Mesoraco's?

And how many of those at bats were for any extended time?

Why receive extended time when you don't hit to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Wanting to see a little more playing time for a guy who is a year removed from being considered a top-20 prospect in all of baseball is a phenomenon only experienced by Reds fans?
    The Reds starting catcher is Hanigan, and he's a pretty good one. Don't get the dying need to see Mesoraco play. He'll play plenty, but he's the backup, as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

And by the way, Mesoraco got 165 AB's last year. That's only 15 more than 150 and 35 less than 200. Hannigan got 317 AB's last season.

And Hanigan should have gotten plenty more ABs than Mes.
    Last edited by reds44; 04-06-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The Reds starting catcher is Hanigan, and he's a pretty good one. Don't get the dying need to see Mesoraco play. He'll play plenty, but he's the backup, as he should be.
    Maybe they should have kept Oliva and sent Mesoraco to AAA to play every day. Not a great way of handling a kid who has so much potential going forward. Hannigan is good defensively but Johnny Bench he is not.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    And Hanigan should have gotten plenty more ABs than Hanigan.
    I like how you said that.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    I like how you said that.
    Made perfect sense to me! lol

17. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Maybe they should have kept Oliva and sent Mesoraco to AAA to play every day. Not a great way of handling a kid who has so much potential going forward. Hannigan is good defensively but Johnny Bench he is not.
    Maybe they thought that Mesoraco was their best option as backup catcher. Isn't it the goal to put your best players on the roster?

Mes is not going to be hindered by playing behind Hanigan for a few seasons. As has been mentioned, you should have to earn it.

19. Likes:

mth123 (04-06-2013)

Turn Off Ads?