Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Mesoraco makes team, Olivo down or gone

Mesoraco makes team, Olivo down or gone

According to Mark Sheldon, Devin Mesoraco has made the team as the back-up catcher, and Miguel Olivo has been offered the mandatory $100 K bonus to go to AAA Louisville. See HERE.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

2. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (03-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mesoraco makes team, Olivo down or gone

Mes earned the shot. He crushed it this spring.

Olivo seems fine as an emergency guy in AAA. I'm happy to see Mes make the team.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Wait, what?

I thought the Reds hated Mes, and were doing everything they could to thwart his progression?

Devin has played great this spring- I'd love to see him push Hanny for playing time.
    sorry we're boring

7. Likes:

coachpipe (03-28-2013)

I think we will be really really lucky if we get another injury free year out of Ryan. Mesoraco will play a big part on this team. He needs to step up.

Right decision. Challenge thy hitters.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Mes may force himself into the lineup before the year is out. When he emerges, the Reds' lineup will become seriously dangerous.

Having said that, I hope Oliva accepts the offer. We need a proven guy waiting in the wings in case of injury. They say catching is a tiny bit rough on the body.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Congrats to Devin!!!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

If I were Olivo I think I would search out and see if there was another AAA job out there. I don't think anyone is going to offer him a big league gig after the spring he just had, but I would think someone could offer him a better AAA job where he isn't behind two guys like Hanigan/Mesoraco.

I don't know that they have to match the $100,000 offer for him, but either way, if he spend a decent amount of time in the Majors this year because he goes somewhere else and he performs in AAA, he will make more than the difference up in a short period of time.

This could also leave the Reds doing a little bit of scrambling for a catcher at some level if they were counting on having one of Mesoraco/Olivo in AAA to start the year.

I'm guessing that Corky Miller is hoping Olivo moves on...LOL.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

How long does Olivo have to decide?

Where are all the people who were up in arms about Olivo being signed and Mesoraco being sent down to Louisville?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If I were Olivo I think I would search out and see if there was another AAA job out there. I don't think anyone is going to offer him a big league gig after the spring he just had, but I would think someone could offer him a better AAA job where he isn't behind two guys like Hanigan/Mesoraco.

I don't know that they have to match the $100,000 offer for him, but either way, if he spend a decent amount of time in the Majors this year because he goes somewhere else and he performs in AAA, he will make more than the difference up in a short period of time.

This could also leave the Reds doing a little bit of scrambling for a catcher at some level if they were counting on having one of Mesoraco/Olivo in AAA to start the year.
    I bet he could make the Yankees. They're going with Chris Stewart and Francisco Cervelli.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Glad to see this, Mes absolutely deserved to be on the team. Hopefully he gets plenty of playing time this season, and cashes in on it.

Now hopefully they make the right move with Hoover.

18. Likes:

Tom Servo (03-27-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Hopefully Mez rots on the bench because I hope Hanigan catches 90% of the time. I don't trust Mez behind the dish.

I was looking forward to seeing Hoover throw to Mez at Louisville this season.

Oh well.

Turn Off Ads?