Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Mesoraco makes team, Olivo down or gone

Re: Mesoraco makes team, Olivo down or gone

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Where are all the people who were up in arms about Olivo being signed and Mesoraco being sent down to Louisville?
    Finishing up their Mike Leake voodoo dolls?

2. Likes:

jimbo (03-28-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

At some point this season I expect that Hanigan is going to become Mes' backup.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (03-28-2013),Raisor (03-28-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (03-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I think you are forgetting the Dusty factor!

I just think Dusty will be very stubborn with this. He feels (for many good reasons) that it is the catchers job to manage the pitching staff. Hanigan does a great job of this, so unless he hits under .200, and Mez is hitting over .300 with pop and catching ok, I don't see it happening.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Stubbs never had some hype machine bangwagon. Hardly anyone on this board thought he was even going to be a solid major leaguer for a single season. Stubbs was ranked as a Top 100 prospect once in his minor league career and it was at the back half of the list. Mesoraco on the flip side found himself in the top half of the Top 100 several times and compared to Stubbs numbers wise in the minors, was Joey Votto. There is a reason there was a lot of hype with Mesoraco. Guys who can actually remain behind the plate usually can't hit like he hit. Stubbs and Mesoraco were in two entirely different areas as prospects. At his height, Stubbs was seen as a good prospect who hadn't done much with his offensive tools. At Mesoraco's height, he was arguably the best player at his position in the minor leagues who was showing all of his tools off in games.
    Ah yes. Don't insult Doug's prospects.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Ah yes. Don't insult Doug's prospects.
    You do realize that both guys were "my prospects", right? That I was one of the incredibly few people on this board who actually defended Stubbs when he was in the minor leagues, right?

And nothing in the post you quoted has anything to do with me or my opinion. You seemed to equate their hype as equal. It wasn't. It wasn't even close. I presented the reasons to show you why it wasn't and not a single one of them had anything at all to do with my beliefs.

So next time, call out someone like Baseball America or Baseball Prospectus or John Sickels or maybe even yourself because you didn't know what you were talking about rather than me who simply posted facts.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-28-2013),alwaysawarrior (03-28-2013),bigredmechanism (03-28-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (03-28-2013)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Care to wager on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Care to wager on that?
    Sure, whoever's right on this gets to say they were right.

My general thinking is that if your young, recent blue chip catcher starts banging the ball, then he's going to play. And Mes looks like he's got himself ready to be the impact player we hoped he'd be last year. Hanigan's a fine guy, but he's not an impact player.

Obviously Mes has got to bring the boom boom to the room for that to happen, but if he does at some point it becomes clear the future is now.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

miguel Olivo released(what happened)

Jon Heyman‏@JonHeymanCBSnow
    Catcher Miguel Olivo asked for his release, which was granted by #reds. He's a free agent now.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Re: miguel Olivo released(what happened)

Sorry already a topic about this.Delete this mod

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I can't say that I blame him.

I have to think he feels he has a better chance to be in the big leagues elsewhere.

Yeah you can't blame him b/c he thought he was brung here to have a major impact with the reds on the field.Good decision by him and I wish him nothing but the best.

Reds could use another MLB veteran to play at AAA and be available in case of injury. Not sure Reds would call up Corky Miller for that purpose.

Yeah I thought Olivo could be a better guy to call on from AAA if a catcher would get hurt.Corky is alright but I think Olivo could have done alot more if we get in that situation.

Sure, whoever's right on this gets to say they were right.

My general thinking is that if your young, recent blue chip catcher starts banging the ball, then he's going to play. And Mes looks like he's got himself ready to be the impact player we hoped he'd be last year. Hanigan's a fine guy, but he's not an impact player.

Obviously Mes has got to bring the boom boom to the room for that to happen, but if he does at some point it becomes clear the future is now.
    If he really hits well enough and the team is winning when he starts, I tend to agree.
    Here's why: Jocketty is smart enough to know that Devin has the potential to be an all star caliber catcher. If he displays that promise early in the year, it would be silly to let him get cold or grow discouraged because he only plays two out of five days. Mesoraco could be one of the better catchers in the game, and he could be a Red for another six to ten years or more. If he shows he can get the job done, you hand the reins over.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds could use another MLB veteran to play at AAA and be available in case of injury. Not sure Reds would call up Corky Miller for that purpose.
    I agree they could use some AAA depth that has MLB experience. I haven't looked at the market lately, but I'd doubt there's anyone they'd trust to bring up before Corky. He calls a great game and knows our staff.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Turn Off Ads?