Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 41 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Mesoraco makes team, Olivo down or gone

Re: Mesoraco makes team, Olivo down or gone

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Riled up?

Nah If I was riled up you'd know it.

Snide??

Corky Miller is not an option now or later, if acknowledging that out loud is "snide" color me guilty

I'll just point out that you my friend started a thread yesterday called... "It's early.
    Yes it's early, but this is something that's been going on for much longer then these first 7 games.

When Mes didn't start the day game after the night game last week, that was a Bad Sign that Mes was still in the dog house.

When Mes has averaged just 1 PA per game in the first 7 games, that's another Bad Sign.

This is a continuation of what was going on last year. It has nothing to do with how I feel Hanigan is doing (who will be just fine).

PS, this is what I considered the "snide" stuff:

But Hey.. Devin gets to reach his potential on your timetable so it's a winner right?

but hey Devin will be happy and gee that's all that matters right?

and you know I have nothing but love for you.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Did he? He had back to back starts twice in the first half of the season. He had 140 at bats heading into August. That is 35 at bats per month.
    Is 35 at bats a month really that low for a platoon catcher?

Hanigan only averaged 55 at bats a month over the same period. I'd say 55-35 is a reasonable split of the playing time given how both guys performed.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I think the bigger point is that if Mes isn't going to play regularly, why are you running his service clock?
    Because he has nothing left to prove in the minors. He's 25 years old and starched upper minors pitching for a year-and-a-half. He's done everything he can at that level. It's time to see if he is a major leaguer or a AAAA player.

Unfortunately for him, the Reds have already have one of the best defensive catchers in baseball and he's no slouch with the bat either. They aren't going to hand Devin a job. He's going to have to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If they don't believe in him and believe he's going to be a regular catcher with them, why not get something of value for him? Other teams may believe he could be their #1 guy. If he's learning by sitting - like Hanigan did when Hernandez was here - that's one thing. But if the manager doesn't think he's major league material and the pitchers don't like pitching to him and he's not going to play, AAA isn't the place for him and neither is Cincinnati.

I'm not worried yet but the day of one guy catching 150 games is over. At this pace, Hanigan will wilt in the summer heat.
    Since when do the reds not believe in mes?

The reds have a good starting catcher. You don't have to hate a prospect to ask them to prove to be the best option before anointing him as such.

First, Baker moves glacially on matters like this. If this is still an issue in July, it's worth discussing. Until then, I'll hit wait and see what happens.

Second, even if Mesoraco only plays once a week all season long, I'm fine with it. The Reds have nothing at the catcher position in the minors that will be MLB ready for years. Mesoraco will be needed to be the starter soon, at the very latest, 2015 when Hanigan is a free agent.

I can give a rat's behind about service time, but if that's important to you, Mesoraco will still be under control with the Reds for three full seasons. In this day and age, teams like the Reds have no problem locking up players whomthey need to lock up, so I'm comfident that if Mes is worth a long term contract, he will get one. But even if he doesn't, I have no problem with him giving the Reds three years as a backup and three years as a starter.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post

The reds have a good starting catcher. You don't have to hate a prospect to ask them to prove to be the best option before anointing him as such.
    OK, fair enough -- how do you prove it when you're going a week between appearances and only catching when the absolute worst pitcher on the staff is on the hill?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

http://fm100thefan.com/4893/should-m...in-louisville/

Before the Reds’ 6-3 win over the Nationals on Sunday, I asked Dusty if that was going to be the catching split this season. If Mesoraco would be catching Leake and if Hanigan would be catching the remaining four pitchers [the majority of the time]. He seemed a bit annoyed in his response initially, “I don’t know, why does it matter man?”

I was fine with the response. I’m sure I’m not the first (or the last) journalist to ask him that question, and I’m sure he’s tired of answering it. Frankly, I think most managers shy away from line-up questions. I was just hoping he’d elaborate a bit more than that and luckily he did.

“Hanigan always catches Cueto and he always catches Arroyo. Mesoraco always catches Leake. That really just leaves two other guys. I just tell Mes to stay ready and he works hard. Some day it’ll be his turn.”

I'm just saying, if they don't believe in him. I don't know whether they do or don't. But if they don't believe in him, and if they believe Hanigan at 32 years old (33 in August) is their future (and usually 33 year old catchers aren't anyone's future) then get something for Mes and sign another backup catcher. Ramon Hernandez was just traded - after being DFAed - to LA for Aaron Harang - who was then DFAed himself.

I hope Mes is the future and I hope the Reds see him like that. But having a 1st round draft choice who is going to be 25 in June as a backup who rarely plays is like having Tim Tebow as your backup QB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm just saying, if they don't believe in him. I don't know whether they do or don't. But if they don't believe in him, and if they believe Hanigan at 32 years old (33 in August) is their future (and usually 33 year old catchers aren't anyone's future) then get something for Mes and sign another backup catcher. Ramon Hernandez was just traded - after being DFAed - to LA for Aaron Harang - who was then DFAed himself.

I hope Mes is the future and I hope the Reds see him like that. But having a 1st round draft choice who is going to be 25 in June as a backup who rarely plays is like having Tim Tebow as your backup QB.
    I think it's pretty reasonable to assume the reds see mes as the future.

There's really not an argument to make against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    OK, fair enough -- how do you prove it when you're going a week between appearances and only catching when the absolute worst pitcher on the staff is on the hill?
    One week not indicative of a season.

Mes got his chances for first half of last year. Reds went with hangman when it was clear he was playing better.

I think it's likely mes will get similar chances this season when he has a good game or two. If he does well with his chances this situation will resolve itself.

I think it's pretty reasonable to assume the reds see mes as the future.

There's really not an argument to make against it.
    If the Reds aren't going to play him more than one game a week, that's the argument right there.

One week not indicative of a season.

Mes got his chances for first half of last year. Reds went with hangman when it was clear he was playing better.

I think it's likely mes will get similar chances this season when he has a good game or two. If he does well with his chances this situation will resolve itself.
    I agree, Patrick. It's still very early. Now maybe Hanigan is getting the lion's share of time because it's still early, the weather has been cool and the opponents have been tough. But Hanigan has got to get some time off sooner or later. I think even Hanigan will agree about that.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Yes it's early, but this is something that's been going on for much longer then these first 7 games.

When Mes didn't start the day game after the night game last week, that was a Bad Sign that Mes was still in the dog house.

When Mes has averaged just 1 PA per game in the first 7 games, that's another Bad Sign.

This is a continuation of what was going on last year. It has nothing to do with how I feel Hanigan is doing (who will be just fine).

PS, this is what I considered the "snide" stuff:

But Hey.. Devin gets to reach his potential on your timetable so it's a winner right?

but hey Devin will be happy and gee that's all that matters right?

and you know I have nothing but love for you.
    Noted

Hug it out

Maybe Mes should make some friends with the bullpen crew. When Broxton says he only wants to pitch to Mes, will Dusty listen?

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Hannigan and Mesoraco each have one hit on the season (Hannigan is 1-23). Mes needs to get regular playing time. Right now he is probably a better hitter than Hannigan. Ryan is a much better catcher. Meso's catching skill will not improve on the pine and his bat will go away. I like nothing about this at all. Hopefully Mes goes 3-4 today and starts getting the Choo treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Noted

Hug it out

Ewwww

Turn Off Ads?