Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Mesoraco makes team, Olivo down or gone

Re: Mesoraco makes team, Olivo down or gone

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Ah yes. Don't insult Doug's prospects.
    Quality post, really really raising the discourse. Well done!

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-28-2013),bigredmechanism (03-28-2013),cincyinco (03-28-2013),OnBaseMachine (03-28-2013),TRF (03-28-2013),westofyou (03-28-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Goodbye Miguel, we hardly knew ye.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Where does Konrad Schmidt fit on the Reds catching depth chart? Does he have any option years left?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Hopefully Mez rots on the bench because I hope Hanigan catches 90% of the time. I don't trust Mez behind the dish.

I was looking forward to seeing Hoover throw to Mez at Louisville this season.

Oh well.
    So Mes rots on the bench while Hanigan is wore out by July? Not a great plan.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Definitely how I wanted it to work out.

I think Mes has a huge up-side. Kid's young and doesn't know how to handle a staff like Hanny, yet, but he's got more pop with the bat and could be a tremendous asset.

Let's give the kid the time to be the catcher the Reds think he can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Where does Konrad Schmidt fit on the Reds catching depth chart? Does he have any option years left?
    I am guessing he is temporarily taking Olivo's spot as veteran insurance at AAA. He signed a minor league contract so he won't need any options to be stored at Louisville is my guess.

If Mesoraco ends up taking over the main catching duties by the end of the season, then I hope it means that he has earned it by displaying the talent most of us thought he had. I hope nobody is insinuating that it should be given to him because they think he has a huge up-side and potential. Until I see him performing on the field, at this point I still think Hanigan is the better option of the two.

10. Likes:

Vottomatic (03-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    If Mesoraco ends up taking over the main catching duties by the end of the season, then I hope it means that he has earned it by displaying the talent most of us thought he had. I hope nobody is insinuating that it should be given to him because they think he has a huge up-side and potential. Until I see him performing on the field, at this point I still think Hanigan is the better option of the two.
    No, I think he'll make huge strides this year and force the issue. I see Mesoraco as a huge part of the offense going forward. Last year, I believe, was simply him adjusting to the majors.

I'm a Hanigan fan, and have been for a while. He's getting older, though, and catchers don't tend to wear well. Also, I think that when Mes does break out, he's going to hit at a whole other level.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    He is Corky Miller the younger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AkLVWEEUS0

13. Likes:

Nathan (03-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    He is Corky Miller the younger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AkLVWEEUS0
    A couple of months with Corky down in Louisville and Schmidt will get that 'stache squared away.

The only way Mes will get the starting gig is to rip it away from Hanigan. It's clear that no one's handing Mes anything. Yet the reality is Mes the power in his bat to take the job.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Yep.

Agree about Hanigan being the better option.

Once again, catching is not about offense. Watch Hannigan catch for about 5 minutes and you'll understand what I mean.

18. Likes:

Vottomatic (03-28-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Once again, catching is not about offense. Watch Hannigan catch for about 5 minutes and you'll understand what I mean.
    It is about both sides of the ball. Corky Miller is 16 years into his minor league career because both sides matter. Mike Piazza caught for a very long time because both sides matter.

20. Likes:

marcshoe (03-28-2013),OGB (03-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The only way Mes will get the starting gig is to rip it away from Hanigan. It's clear that no one's handing Mes anything. Yet the reality is Mes the power in his bat to take the job.
    I don't think there is any argument that Mes has the bat power, but I've never considered the catching position as being an "offensive" position (I'm sure there are many here who may disagree with me though). The pitching staff and defense was very strong with Hanigan behind the plate last season. I want to see the same with Mes back there before I give him the job because of his bat.

Great catchers, IMO, are the ones who are masters of their craft when behind the plate. A great bat is just icing on the cake.

22. Likes:

Vottomatic (03-28-2013)

Turn Off Ads?